Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting quick fletch wraps for the past 2 weeks and couldn't hit better than a 4" group from 40 yards... Did some reading and with my 125 grain Swhacker heads I switched to a blazer helical fletch job and now am hitting 1" groups no prob. So happy. Just a testimonial to helical vanes.. Anyone with me?! Hooray for TX bow season in 3 days :D :D :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I switched from blazers to 4" dura vanes but I fletch all mine with right helicals. It seems to make a difference, especially in windy conditions.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Helical fletching make the biggest difference with cheaper arrows or imperfect balanced points like broadheads. When its spinning its equalizing any flaw in the arrow. So if you have .006 or .003 arrows you will see a bigger improvement. You like that, try some super Flonite vanes and see how your groups tighten up! They put MASSIVE spin on your arrows. I always fletch helical. No good reason not to.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,825 Posts
Helical fletchings makes a big difference on any arrow, and any broad head. Don't let anyone try to fool you on that. Every arrow needs to spin in order to achieve the best possible flight. Esp with a broad head.

I was a big time helical feather fan for years. Still am to a degree. But I have also been switching off between feathers and Blazers too.

However, due my thick, happy hunting grounds that likes to rip feathers to bits, I went mostly to Helical Blazers that's been fletched up on my AZ Mini Jig. That jig puts an awesome helical on 2" Blazers to the likes that I get the same great broad head flight out of them as I do with 4" helical feathers that's been fletched up on my Bitz.

I've been at this game for many years now and I've tried different ways to fletch, as well as different fletchings. And without doubt a good helical on Blazers are awesome accurate even with the largest of fixed blade broad heads. I use GrizzTrick 125's with a 2 1/2" total cutting dia and I put them right in with field points from 40 yards.

Skeet.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Do you guys do right or left helical?

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Do you guys do right or left helical?
All the fletchers made with helical for the short vanes are right helical. As far arrow flight, it wouldn't make a difference but it is easier to keep points and broadheads screwed in tighter with right helical.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have been using the Bohning Helix jig for 2"vanes for a while. It is the way to go. I wish they would make a metal jig that would do this. If Bitz ever makes a clamp that will do this I will get one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with all of y'all. How much is the AZ easy fletch jig cost and where could I get one? I only hear good things about them. Also, I found out that with my FMJ arrows the glue doesn't like to stick to the aluminum as well as it would the carbon, kinda lame! Leaving tmrw to the lease, yessss!!!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
switched from vanes to feathers and bought right helical clamp for my bitz . when fletching with the three inch feathers i realized that in three inches i might just as well used a straight clamp with slight offset . longer fletching might work better for getting helical but short ones are a waste of effort . i do however LOVE feathers compared to vanes .

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I like a helical (right) on my shield cut flex fletch vanes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts