Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People don't understand why I use my mountain bike during deer season. Then they ask me where I shot that big buck!
Which do you use, and what are some of the little add ons you have come up with to make it all easier?
I use a Schwinn Rocket 88 full suspension. I have a bow/gun rack (atv) mounted on the bars. I can carry all my stuff including my Ol' Man Vision with no discomfort. I use a Deer Sleigh sled to drag 'em out. Takes a bit of practice, but the benefits are AWESOME!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hunt elk off of my Mtn bike. Where I hunt there is no ATV use allowed. I keep my bow in my big external frame pack on my back. I have done numerous 3-5 day trips like this. On the overniters I have paniers on the rear. When I get to the end of the trail, I stash my bike and the pack. Just keep the day pack with me. I have packed out 2 elk this way.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When I was bowhunting in Missouri about 12 years ago, the public hunting areas that I was in did not allow motorized wheels. So I ended up using a bike to allow me to get to the area I wanted to hunt a lot quicker. If I were to walk, it was about a 4.5 mile walk, the biking really helped.

Here in Arkansas, the access to the areas I hunt is for the lazy man. We can get to within 1/2 mile with an ATV or a 4 WD.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a bike as well mine is a full suspention Kona. I set it up with a atv bow rack on the bars. I used it for elk last year and I will be using it for upland game as well. It is great for scouting and the distance you can cover is awsome. You wouldn't believe how many trails I've gone down and shot partridge or rabbits! A great way to hunt in my books.:) :) :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make fun of it all you want. I know it works for me! It's easy and quiet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also use my mountain bike; to get out of town, to the mountains, and to my hunting spot.:)

Man, I wish I could drive!
Only one more year:D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Javi...you are right...olddog does occasionally like to lope his mule and the mountain bike wouldn't work!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used mine about 3 years ago to get into a area that was waaayyyyyy back from a road. And wouldn't you know it I killed a 350# hog. It was not nice. :( I was reall excited about my kill thinking boy was I smart to get way back here to this hog. Then it was time to try to get that big sucker out of there:eek: I had to field dress the hog and leave my bow, bike, pack everything there and make 3 trips out with all of that meat. By the time I finished I knew that I would never never never get so far back in the woods while hunting unless there was a motor under my butt.:p

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
buck grub thats smart hunting!!Why be stupid and walk when you can ride....it allows more time in the stand........What do you yankees use your brain for anyway?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bike

I have a bike for sale. If you are interested, check out the info on the Classifieds forum. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pics of the bike

more pics posted on thread in classifieds

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
You'll have better luck selling it if you paint it in ASAT or Predator Color. Red doesn't go over well in the woods.

My 2 cents!

Siefrj

PS: I don't think I could make it back to the woods with my ol' man, bow, other stuff, boots, insulated coveralls, etc... etc... And where would I put Ol Tilly, my doe decoy? I'd look like one of the bums on the street that live off of their bikes!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts