Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to maximize the value of my hunting $ this year. I have a Rinehart taget that I plan on using.

I plan on covering the colored side with a brown paper bag and using it close to the rut with some doe estrous. Is this crazy?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We have an old target that we leave just outside of a food plot that we use for practice. Last year we set it up during the rut. About 10 AM my brother left the blind to get lunch. When we came back to get settled in for the evening around 2PM a nice 8 point was standing face to face with it. Caught us off guard but neat to see.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It'll work just fine. It's just a lot more difficult to carry than a decoy.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Yep, used them for years. Like they said, they are harder to carry in and out. I usually leave them out and lay them down with brush over them. Then they are ready for when I need them. Of course that is on private land only. Make sure you remove the scent from them first before using them.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Like they said, they are harder to carry in and out. I usually leave them out and lay them down with brush over them.

That's probably what I will do.

Can't wait to see how it works for me.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
A little tip, which you probably know already. Don't put your scent on the decoy itself, put it on a scent wick or a small piece of towel. The scent will go bad after a while if put on the decoy. I have used my delta 3-d target for both shooting and decoying. It has worked great for the last two years. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have done it in a food plot close to my house(that way I didn't have to lug it very far) it worked just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts