Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting my turkey hunting bow(52# Hoyt Vulcan) yesterday and after getting it sited in I pulled out my Mckenzie Jake target and shot one arrow in it from 40 yards. After pulling the arrow out I stepped back to 50 and shot the bag again and since I was just shooting 2 arrows the first went in the dot and the other went about 2 ft right! naturally I checked the nock it was fine and ran my fingers down the shaft to make sure that there was no dings, etc. That is when I saw the bend in the shaft. It looks nearly like a "S" in the arrow. I am still going to continue to use the arrows I was just shocked and a little lucky that it was bent like that and did not break.

P.S.
All my arrows was checked after they was built for straitness and was cut from both ends even though they are the "pro" series..

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Don't shoot that arrow, it must have internal damage. I've seen guys with carbon shafts stuck through their hands from broken arrows and for the price of one arrow you're risking what may be permanent damage to your body. DON'T SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
She is junk now. Chuck it.

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, believe me it has been cut up and in the trash. I was lucky it did not break when I shot it the one time. Whew!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I saw a batch of arrows that looked exactly like that after being left all day in a hot car in the summer.

·
Registered
51,119 Posts
It didn't bend it broke. Carbon arrows either they are good or they are broke, never ever saw one bend and stay without being broke and I've sold thousands of them.:wink:

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
I had one that did that. Is that a GT pro? Thats what I was shooting when it happened.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have seen them bend and stay bent - not broken but bent. It is a myth that they are good or they are broken, sometimes they do bend.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have seen it happen multiple times. The times I witnessed it was due to a person using an arrow gripper and twisting the arrow to break it loose of the 3d target, then pulling it out. I have seen this happen several times over the years.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Mine have always broken but that has usually been due to trees jumping out infront of them.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I have seen all differ. makes of carbon arrows at indoor 3-D ranges defect off the top or bottom or leg of target and it would weaken the enter or outer wall and in the next several shots break when hitting target or when going to pull out or worse.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
I didn't think an all carbon arrow could bend. I could see trying to pull one from a tough 3D target using a gripper and twisting would break the layering or wraps of the carbon inside the shaft. That would make it broken not bent.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had that exact same thing happen to me about 3-4 years. When I first told people about it everyone said there is no way that could happen! Looks like I'm not the only one who experienced that.

·
Registered
51,119 Posts
I have seen it happen multiple times. The times I witnessed it was due to a person using an arrow gripper and twisting the arrow to break it loose of the 3d target, then pulling it out. I have seen this happen several times over the years.
LOL it didn't bend you broke the carbon fibers, broke is broke.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51,119 Posts
I have seen all differ. makes of carbon arrows at indoor 3-D ranges defect off the top or bottom or leg of target and it would weaken the enter or outer wall and in the next several shots break when hitting target or when going to pull out or worse.
Again it is broken fibers, broke is broke no matter if it comes apart or not. That's why ALL arrow companies suggest you flex a shaft if in doubt or every so often because broken/weak fibers from miss use or an errant shot can harm you or someone near by when they finish breaking. Again broke is broke.:)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yep, I was shooting with Chance B. locally once and watch him "bend" two or three of his easton fatboy shafts.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
buddy of mine was working at a shop and found the carbon express ultra light were bending on him. had an interesting discussion with the distributor. i understand what you are saying about broken fibers but they would still flex and not break. crazy to look at them.

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,014 Posts
I have seen them bend and stay bent - not broken but bent. It is a myth that they are good or they are broken, sometimes they do bend.
Not true, multiple wraps, and/or layers on the inside are broken, although the external layer or layers are still intact. If a carbon arrow is bent, it's actually broke. You keep shooting it, your asking for trouble........

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think the important thing is many people shoot carbons and never check them. Too many people are under the assumption that when a carbon breaks, they break in half and are very noticable and that is simply untrue. Even carbon arrows should be spun and checked, esspecially after a bad shot that would say hit something solid that could damage the arrow. If its a shot that you would check the straightness on an aluminum you best closely examine a carbon as well.

I've even seen guys pulling and twisting carbon arrows out of targets cuz they think they are indestructable. They wouldn't do that with an aluminum but for some reason they think they can do it with a carbon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts