Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going on a hunt for Wild Boar. How do they rate for flavor as compared to domestic pork? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
My son kilt one and I can't say I cared for it .. strong and tough ..

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
only way I eat them is have it made into sausage with either sage or italian seasoning added it is really good that way other than that it is tough and dosn't taste so good I have shot a bunch of them over the last 5-6 years

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
All of them I've eaten were tasty, but they were farm raised razorbacks that got sent to hunting preserves (my old boss raised tons of the big, ugly suckers). We fed them corn, veggies and meat (from a rendering plant, unused beef and veal parts). The meat was fine, but I'd have to assume a wild, free-ranging hog is going to tast a lot different just due to diet.

The fun part of raising them was our little "hog rodeos", where we'd choose a big boar, jump the gate, run up and jump on his back and HANG ON to his ears while he tried to buck us off. :eek: You should see how fast they jump and spin in circles when someone jumps on their back! :lol: A little dangerous, but I was young and indestructible back then. :(

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I shot one a few years ago in north FL. I'd never buy store pig again. Best eatin pork I ever had, now to just get back down there and kill a few more!!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
i have eat several younger ones and they were great.the bigger older hogs are better if made into sausage.you can't find better pork than the smaller 50-75 pound pigs:darkbeer:

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
You can do anything with wild pork that you can domestic. Although pigs caught in wetter areas tend to be more "flavorful". The Sows and smaller boars do make for better eating though. I smoke 90% of mine and its GREAT! the rest get made in to "Kalua" or other dishes.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
they are tasty when cooked right, I like them marinated in MOJO sauce and cooked in the ground

·
Registered
849 Posts
The little watermelon sized ones are good eatin, around 75-100lbs. Even the sows up to 150lbs aren't bad. The bigger boars can be kind of rank.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Are you kidding??? Best eating wild game I've had !

Guard the ribs becase Boar ribs are awesome

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I shot one a few years ago in north FL. I'd never buy store pig again. Best eatin pork I ever had, now to just get back down there and kill a few more!!
If you do go again, swing by Pine Grove and pick me up. :D :D
I wouldn't mind sticking a few of them.

Ted

·
Registered
915 Posts
I like them a lot , both the wild boar we have in France and the exotic ones i've hunted in central Africa , i think it's called " bushpigs " in english .

i prefer them above the domestic pork ...

·
Registered
826 Posts
It depends on what you type of wild boar you are talking about.
Most feral pigs, even young boars up to 150 lbs are good eating. But if you get one much larger that smells like he just wallowed in a septic tank, not so good.
This before you clean it.

I can't say I have eaten a full blood Russian or European boar, but I hear even the big older ones are good. Like the kind Uncle Ted shoots on his place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like them a lot , both the wild boar we have in France and the exotic ones i've hunted in central Africa , i think it's called " bushpigs " in english .

i prefer them above the domestic pork ...
Bush-pigs & Wart-hogs. 2 different species & both are AWESOME eating. As mentioned, the larger boars are strong flavored. Sows & piglets .... best pig on the planet. Have not tried N.American wild pig, but can't wait to get some.

·
Vendor
4,702 Posts
Take it from some one who has killed more than his fair share of "Piney wood rooters". Some of the best eaten there is...as long as you follow this advice...eat the sows only, leave the boars (males) for the buzzards. The boars are good as long as it is cold enough outside to leave them hanging for a day or so (like over night) after skinning and gutting of course or if they have been relieved of their "mountain oysters" (bars).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you do go again, swing by Pine Grove and pick me up. :D :D
I wouldn't mind sticking a few of them.

Ted
Well, I actually shot mine with a ML. Kind of made a family trip to Disney into a hunting trip for the guys. Went for turkey's but only ended up with pigs. Guy we hunted with tried to get us on a grove for gators, but didn't quite work out. It was my ex's relation, so I'm probably outta that gang, but if the offer ever opens itself back up, I'm there!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Iv'e shot one European wild boar and I thought it was excellent eating. It was a little leaner than regular pork. I wish I could shoot them all the time like some of you guys have the opportunity to do!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts