Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about a larva in whitetail deer called "nasal bots". I'm not sure that is correct. Kayaker's thread about wufs got me to thinking about my first buck with a gun. I did a European mount on him myself b/c he was a spike. When I was removing the meat from the head I found some greenish yellow maggot looking worms in the back of the deers throat up near where the airway enters the mouth. I don't know what these things were but I later read about these nasal bots and wondered if that was what my deer had. Anyhow the meat didn't hurt me. He tasted gooood!!! Anyone ever seen anything like this?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I killed a spike once that had them. Nasty little things, but I think it is rather common. Not many people go looking up a deer's nose though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nasal Bots

Yes, they are common. They are a lot more common than most people think. If you ever have the chance to spend time in a taxidermy shop you will see just how common they are. I have seen several. Most that I have seen have been closer to the nostrils. They are common in grazing animals. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
bot fly larvae

As a taxidermist I see them all of the time. Very common. After the deer starts to cool down they'll migrate to warmer parts. They don't hurt the meat at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts