Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm just getting into traditional archery and recently purchased a Martin Savannah longbow. I was curious if anyone here has taken deer with homemade arrowheads? I recently made some arrows and arrowheads and was thinking about trying to take a deer with them. The arrowheads are actually made of deer antler. They came out pretty nice! I decided to go with the SouthEast 2 fletch. They look very much like indian arrows. I used artificial sinew to tie the arrowhead and feathers to the shaft. The arrows fly true and are very quiet. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Heads from natural materials may or may not be legal in your state, you will need to check into it.
I personally would not hunt with bone or antler, I just don't think it would be effective enough.

I would be completely happy with flint or obsidian heads (they just take so much effort) and I have used home-made trade points with good result.

-Grant

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I was curious if anyone here has taken deer with homemade arrowheads?

I haven't but a friend of mine killed a 5 point bull with a flint head he made.

The arrowheads are actually made of deer antler. What are your thoughts?
I personally wouldn't use them on deer...but would consider them on birds or small game. I would look into using obsidian, flint or steel for a broadhead for deer sized animals.

Check your local state regs to see what is legal or not.

Ray :shade:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know it's not legal in all states. It's legal here. I thought about using flint and or obsidian arrowheads. Tried making some and it's a PITA! It's definitely a complicated art!! I may just look into buying a couple flint or obsidian kahokia points and trying those on deer. I know some indians actually used bone points since they didn't have a good supply of knappable rock is some regions. I'm sure the bone points would do good for small game. I will still try to get some pics up soon just to show'em off :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts