Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a dozen of new arrows and just finished cutting them. They look pretty square on the ends but I wouldn't mind squaring them up before installing the nocks/inserts. Anybody ever make up their own version of a arrow squaring device? I have a couple ideas that involve aluminum angle, UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) Polyethlylene, and fine adhesive sand paper but I'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think a solid grinding surface would be better than dealing with sandpaper (even if it's glued on, it wont be as accurate). Eg. grinding wheel, sharpening stone etc. Would probably give you better accuracy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...Here's what I came up with. Only cost me less than 4 bucks and about an hour of my time. I know it's not the most compact unit. I did three arrows and plan on going the the range in the morning to see how they fly with fixed broadheads on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy with the results....They flew just fine with fixed broadheads. Going to finish the rest of my arrows now.

P

·
0 Posts
looks like a nice piece of work! should work as long as you can change the paper when needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found them in the door hardware section at lowes. They're tub and shower replacement hardware. The sandpaper has an adhesive backing and is simple to replace when needed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well...Here's what I came up with. Only cost me less than 4 bucks and about an hour of my time. I know it's not the most compact unit. I did three arrows and plan on going the the range in the morning to see how they fly with fixed broadheads on them.

That's great lookin'!

Here's another option with pics.

happy hunting, dv

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the wheels before gluing in the last piece of wood. They're kind wedged in there

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Very nice job. I've been wondering if a squaring device is actually necessary or is it just another unneeded gadget.

I guess maybe it could be if a person's saw didn't produce a square cut and if the tolerance between the insert OD and the shaft ID was sloppy. I use the large Dremel cut off disc and rotate the shafts against the abrasive side while it's spinning and haven't had any problems myself.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Many saws can and will cut straight but many inserts are not. ASD's do a nice job of squaring them too:wink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
So you are squaring the arrow or the nock? Or both? Confused? I don't build my own yet but want to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi,
Nice job but not really needed. If you use an abrasive wheel (not something with teeth) to do the cutting and rotate the arrow as you feed it into the wheel and then continue to rotate it against the face of the wheel it will end up square with no burrs.
I have done several sets of arrows for myself, my family and my club mates and checked them with precision engineering tools and they are always spot on, less than a thou out of square which is good enough for anyone.
Phil

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
So you are squaring the arrow or the nock? Or both? Confused? I don't build my own yet but want to.
since I have a device I tend to use it, I do both ends of the arrows (since I always cut both ends) and then install the insert and use it on the insert as well. going from not using one to using one, I havent seen even a slight difference

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Kind of depends on how anal a person wants to get and how crooked your saw is. I've never squared up either end other than rotating the shaft against the abrasive wheel after the end is cut off. My broadheads rotate just fine when the shafts are put on a spinner. The nock end is factory and should be perfect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts