Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kinda curious. I have recently purchased a HSS and wondered what it was like falling out of a tree stand then being hanging out there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi
I didn't yet...but go to youtube.com and search for ( Outdoor Answer: Full Body Harness )..they have nice one there.

SAFETY FIRST !!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Try it. Hang a stand a couple feet off the ground and fall out of it. Will let you know real quick how it works and a bit as to how it feels.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Yes, I've fallen, and the harness will not work if it isn't hooked to something...I fell while climbing into my stand...harness and all.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
same it didnt hold but it squshed my nads real nice

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You will only do it on purpose one time.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had sort of a fall my bottom cable snapped on my climber, but i reacted quick and grabbed the top half, jammed my shoulder good enough to blow what could of been my first deer, played macho man and did not turn my poundage down and when the time came i could not pull my bow back, buck gave me two chances and i watch him walk out of my life!

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just realized this was in the wrong forum..Mod can you move it to an appropriate one please

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've not fallen, but my brother did. He was coming down out of a Loc-On after shooting a deer. He missed a step somehow and fell. One of the screw-in steps caught the back of his leg near his knee, and it ripped his leg open all the way up to his rear-end. It damn near killed him for all the blood he lost. Had he been any further in than he was, it would have been his last hunt.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've not fallen, but my brother did. He was coming down out of a Loc-On after shooting a deer. He missed a step somehow and fell. One of the screw-in steps caught the back of his leg near his knee, and it ripped his leg open all the way up to his rear-end. It damn near killed him for all the blood he lost. Had he been any further in than he was, it would have been his last hunt.
Hurts just to read this story. This is the reason I gave up screw in steps. Stick ladders and climbing stands for me.

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
Another thing to think about is that you will not only fall down, but you will hit the tree. I was climbing a tree with smooth bark and me and my stand slid down until my harness stopped me. My face hit the tree. Thankfully, I was not looking directly at the tree or my nose would have been badly broken. My cheekbone hurt for a few days. That and a couple scratches were my only injuries.

It happened very fast, none of that slow motion stuff. I had time to realized it was happening and it was over.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, I've fallen, and the harness will not work if it isn't hooked to something...I fell while climbing into my stand...harness and all.
I build my own lifeline with 10mm climbing rope (static line) and 6mm prussic cord. I'm hooked to the tree from top to bottom.

I fell almost 5 years ago from the top of a ladder after unhooking from the top. I broke my back in 2 places.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fell 20ft from my loc-on when the hook bent and came un hooked from around the tree. It had been on the tree for 1yr prior to it fallen. I was laid up in bed for a week, I wanted to die it hurt so bad. I use the 30ft safety line now, y'all be safe...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Safty Lines, How Do They Work?

How does safty lines work. I think I have seen them on the TV. I am trying to decide between a climber or lock on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep been there done that. I had gotten a new climber when i was younger, so needed to try it out. Went in the yard and up a nice Pine, bottom piece broke and i came down the tree in a hurry. It was middle of the summer in Fl and me being young, had on a pair of shorts and no shirt. It took all the skin off my chest and both arms from my elbow to my wrist ...... ouch:wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts