Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed no matter how hard you try that a whitetail always knows that something just isn't quite right when they are walking around a trail or just about to walk out on to a feild but then all of a sudden they dont like the idea and turn around and sometimes run? Well i have this problem quite a bit. Im sure they cant smell me cuz every morning b4 i go out i take a shower in scentblocker shampoo and i wash my camo every couple of weeks in scentlok detergent. When i get out to the field i spray my clothes with scentlok about every other three to five days and my bow every other 2 to 3 days. I usually find a tree or a bush to blend into cuz i dont like how you cant see everything in a ground blind. Anyone got any tips?

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
get out early and leave late:wink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get out early and leave late:wink:
Well that is the thing i get out to a spot around 30 b4 shooting light and leave when it is getting pretty hot. It seems like to me that whitetails have some 6th sense and can feel a presence haha. Cuz the muley's will come in and walk right past you like you werent even there but the whitetails will catch on to me pretty quick.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Dress warm:wink:

·
Registered
911 Posts
They still may be getting some scent of you. The more they are around human scent (populated areas), the more they will tollerate. If they aren't used to human odor they wiil spook real easy. I also suspect they the 6th sense sometimes. Try not to think about shooting them and see if they don't notice you!:wink:

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
shoot behind the shoulder :mg:

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Try not to think about shooting them and see if they don't notice you!
and try not breathing...............lol

everytime I get a nice buck,,Im just plain ares lucky:wink::darkbeer:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm not sure if it works, but I try not looking directly at a target animal until it's time to get focused to take a shot. I use my pheriferal vision.

I'm sure you've had that feeling that somebody is watching you and you turn around and discover that indeed there is a hot chick checking you out.

I had an old successful bowhunter tell me that once and I just started doing it. I don't remember the last deer that was coming down a trail and turned around for an unk reason.

Who knows......

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Get about 1/2 down your ladder and then stop and look around, that usually when I spot deer. But seriosly, just play the wind, stay still and remember every day hunting is a day scouting...use that days info for the next trip. Good Luck!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Let me add a little insight to this. Big old bucks are always on the alert unless preoccupied by a doe. Any little fragment of human scent will put them into retreat mode. Bucks in the open are more leery than bucks in heavy cover. You are doing right by keeping your scent down to a minimum. You need to be very mindful of your ground scent and wind direction.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
keep the wind in your face

its ok to pee from your stand

if you don't find your deer, you can blame it on the broadhead ( esp. a rage )

used tampons make great scent wicks

let the little bucks walk so they can turn into big bucks ( unless you are from Michigan. if that's the case than shoot the first one you see.)

·
Registered
325 Posts
i have the same problem. And I do think they have a sixth sent. Every deer im not going to shoot walks right by and dosnt sespect a thing. Then the deer i want to shoot always know im there.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
tips

keep the wind in your face

its ok to pee from your stand

if you don't find your deer, you can blame it on the broadhead ( esp. a rage )

used tampons make great scent wicks

let the little bucks walk so they can turn into big bucks ( unless you are from Michigan. if that's the case than shoot the first one you see.)

I dont care who you are thats damm funny and true.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Cant kill them from the couch, Play the wind.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've always thought that whitetails have a 6th sense. Especially the big ones. They don't get big by accident.

Stay clean. Hunt smart.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that the ones you dont care for just stand there and will look at you and just go back to feeding. Two years ago i had two little bucks and a couple does come by me at 5 yards. A 2x2 and a 3x3. Both stopped on the trail broadside never looked at me and then kept walking and caught up to the does again. I regret not shooting the 3x3 cuz to me that is a good bow kill (keep in mind im only 16 now and was 14 then). The only reason i didn't shoot him was because i saw one of the big 6 bucks on the ranch coming my way. All the 6 big bucks on the ranch are around 150 each some bigger some smaller. When the buck came i was already drawn back. He came broadside at 20 stopped and for some reason looked at me. I got a shot off but unfortunately he jumped my string and a clean miss. Anyone know how to prevent the jumping of the string? Earlier that evening i shot at 7x7 whitetail at 20. He had no clue i was there. I waited till he put his head down to go feed and then took my shot. His belly literally hit the ground when i shot. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've found it very helpful to practice with Cabela's Big Game hunter on my daughter's Wii.................:mg::darkbeer::wink:

I honestly think your on the right track. Have patient's. They are there and will eventually make a mistake for your best intrest!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One tactic i have noticed that works on my grandparents ranch is during the mid-day heat walk around with a arrow loaded in the tall grass in the trees along the creek and usually i will jump a decent whitetail buck. When they start to jump up no matter what it is doe or buck i draw back and decide if i want to shoot or not. Most of the time they are still half asleep and dont realize what is going on and stand there for 30 seconds or so. That is how i got my 133 inch whitetail. Just stood up stood there and took my time and shot.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Has anyone noticed no matter how hard you try that a whitetail always knows that something just isn't quite right when they are walking around a trail or just about to walk out on to a feild but then all of a sudden they dont like the idea and turn around and sometimes run? Well i have this problem quite a bit. Im sure they cant smell me cuz every morning b4 i go out i take a shower in scentblocker shampoo and i wash my camo every couple of weeks in scentlok detergent. When i get out to the field i spray my clothes with scentlok about every other three to five days and my bow every other 2 to 3 days. I usually find a tree or a bush to blend into cuz i dont like how you cant see everything in a ground blind. Anyone got any tips?
Well if they were using the area and stop and run away then they know something aint right and that something is likely you.. Even with all the scent stuff you can't hunt up wind of them.

Many years ago my uncle told me the secret of hunting Whitetails is to figure out where they want to be and when they want to be there and be there before they get there. And above all don't let them smell you... Randy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts