Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a ghillie suit from Gander mountain the other day that seems to be shedding all of the strands just walking across the house. ( cheap )
Can anyone recommend a good brand that's durable ?

Trying to call some yotes in real close for a recurve kill.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I bought the cabelas brand before the season started last year. I limit how much I wash it but it is holding up fairly well. I use a seat that I also got from cabelas and sit on the ground with it attached to a tree base. Make sure that I have back drop cover and have had success. I haven't seen a lot of deer but I wasn't when hunting from a tree in the areas that I hunt anyway. I shot a nice buck this year at 22 yards and had a shot last year at a doe from 18 yards that I screwed up. She circled me twice and was as close as eight yards so some scent control and the suit really seemed to work. I have enjoyed hunting from the ground.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wear a ghillie all the time. Rothco makes a good lightweight suit for the money. It uses 3/4" netting as its base and the threads are tied onto the netting. That way you can replace the threads as they wear over time. Bushrag makes an even better suit but it costs more. However, the improvements over the Rothco suit are worth the money in my opinion. Bushrag uses a bug suit material as its base and then puts the 3/4" netting over that. The coat has elastic cuffs and the pants have zippered legs and a velcro waist. The only downside to Bushrag's suit over Rothco's is that Bushrag's coat has the hood attached to it and Rothco has the hood as a separate item. The bad thing about having the hood attached to the coat is that the hood does not turn when your head does which means you are looking at the inside of the hood a lot of the time. An easy fix to this is to cut the hood off the coat; which I did.

A Rothco suit can be found a lot of different places for under $100. The going price for a Bushrag suit is around $150. This fall, though, I looked around on the internet and got a Bushrag for $115 delivered to my door.

Ground hunting in a ghillie is about as exciting as it can get. You will not believe how close you will have animals come to you. If you have the wind in your face, you are all but invisible to whitetails!

Darren

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a leaf suit that is one step down from the full blown ghillie and works pretty good for me when I am on the ground. One thing that I got was a arm protector that was large enough to cover my left fore arm due to string slap because the suit is a bit bulky and I have hit the suit a few times during practice. Since I got the arm guard I have had no issues.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I bought this gillie suit at Gander Mountain in 2011, it's holding up well and it very comfortable. I shot the doe in the first picture from 8 yards sitting on the ground. She didn't have a clue I was there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Like Eric said, you'll need a full length arm guard. Also make sure to trim the suit in the chest area on your bow arm side.

Here's an arm guard I made for the occasion.

Darren

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Can't remember where I got this one but I ordered online and it was pretty cheap. We use it for calling fox and coyotes.

Wolf Hunting 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought a "be the tree" suit from Bass Pro this fall and started using it. Just turned 72 and decided it was time for me to graduate from climbing trees. Been doing it for over fifty years without a fall. Don't want to overload my luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
if your sitting in one spot the suit is probably good but if you stalk or stillhunt dense stuff allot there brutal imo. it catches on dry brush,sticks,weeds,leaves.. everything that makes more noise. imo the best outfit for the ground is a tighter pair of pants, with no knee or side pockets. i wear just socks on my feet so i tuck the pants inside them to keep them from catching. same with the top, as tight as possible. the thinner your profile the easier it is to move stealthily. the only items i wear ghillie style are a hat & facemask.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts

This is my ground setup, the bow is different now but that's how I wrap it, then I wear a ghillie jacket and hat, sorry no selfie of it currently... Works great for turkey too

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
You don't need all that stringy crap hanging off of you. It gets caught up in everything including your bow and gets heavy in wet weather. A 3D leafy suit is a far better choice. Besides, you can sit in a turkey chair on your porch at Halloween and let the Trick or Treaters walk past you to ring the bell, then stand up behind em and say "Yessssss...you want candy?" I've had grown men fall down in fear...too funny. If the kids get too spooked just say, "I'm Mr. Bush. Don't worry...I won't harm you. You can call me George."

salad suit reduced.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts