• Other tell me what you would do

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's a little poll for everyone. Here's the situation:

You have a 10 acre piece of land that you have access to hunt and it's your only option for bowhunting it's either hunt here or sit at home on the couch the place is only 10 minutes from home so hunting after work during the week and weekends isn't a problem. What would you do. How often would you hunt it. You have 2 stands set up. The area is located on the outskirts of town so there are other houses relatively close by and your land is a natural funnel that deer use to get from one piece of woods to another.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hunt

That is like your backyard. Hunt it. I would be there every chance I had. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
If it were my only option I would hunt it as much as I like. Keeping in mind I follow a very rigid scent free regimen and try and enter my stand outside of prime deer movement times.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i say hunt it everyday! the deer there are use to human scent and wont be bothered by it.

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,277 Posts
Not hypothetical

This is my exact situation (except I don't have stands so I use natural blinds).

I hunt as much as I can after work until Daylight Savings Time kicks in (or kicks out, I forget which) and it is too dark by the time I get home.

Since I don't have stands, I have the freedom hunt a different spot every day.

Not that this system has generated any photos for me to post this year....

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I chose,Only hunt your stands once or twice a week to keep them fresh.
I have hunted small tracts in the past & found if you pressure them then the deer will avoid the area. I would mush rather have a spot to hunt all year as opposed to two weeks because I over pressured the deer & they stopped using the area. JMO

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would hunt it as much as possible. Pay attention to the wind; stay home when the wind is wrong. As long as you are not getting busted I don't see how you could over hunt it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Your scenario describes my property to a T. The natural funnel is the key component. When the rut kicks in look for bucks to seemingly pop out of the ground. Until then hunt it when you feel like. Take care not to get busted by the local deer but odds are the ones you'll be after will show up the first of November.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a very similar situation. At first I hunted as ofter as I could. This resulted in pushing a very nice buck on to property I had no access to. So be careful and a little bit sly about entering and exiting your stands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow

Sounds almost identical to me. My wifes grand parents live 8 miles from us and have 10 acres. Next to it there is 200 acres that hasn't been hunted in three years. I have two stands up; one on either end of the property. A food plot in the middle. I hunt it about 5 times a week.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Small Parcels

I voted 'hunt as much as possible' based on my past experience with small parcels of land. The local deer herd will move on several different properties and you never know which one they will be on. You can't shoot them on your property if you're not there when they show up.

·
10,219 Posts
I chose,Only hunt your stands once or twice a week to keep them fresh.
I have hunted small tracts in the past & found if you pressure them then the deer will avoid the area. I would mush rather have a spot to hunt all year as opposed to two weeks because I over pressured the deer & they stopped using the area. JMO
I agree being I Hunt Alot of the Same places that you are asking about...The Younger Deer won`t be affected as much,but the Mature Bucks that live there Will sense your Presence if you get busted at all moving in and out of your spots and they Will turn Nocturnal on you,at least until the Rut anyhoo...I would try to tone it down to at least every other day so you don`t "burn your spot out" so you can have a chance at one of the Mature Bucks that do live on or near the piece you are hunting... The Rut will be the ticket to nabbing the Biggest deer in those woods if you play your cards right from now until then...Good Luck! Ray

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ttt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts