Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, is anyone having problems/pain with their bow shoulders? I would just like to see if this is a problem for many people. If you don't mind sharing a little of what exactly causes pain and where exactly the pain bothers you.

For me, I used to have some trouble if I didn't have my bow arm fully extended before drawing. It would cause some sharp pain at the front of my shoulder. I don't have anymore trouble with this if i fully extend my elbow prior to drawing.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
I have arthritis in mine and meniscus damage due to dysplasia. So drawing forces that ball into the shoulder socket and it hurts. 50 pound range helps but I'm a handful of years away from shoulder replacement. It's not due to shooting a bow. It's a genetic issue honestly. Smaller than normal shoulder socket so my shoulders had a lot of slop in them, not enough stability. So ball and socket banged around for my whole life which led to my arthritis. Really started to notice in my 40s and PT, stretching, and strength training has gotten me this far (I'm 57 now).

Reactions: Dbolick

·
Registered
83 Posts
just curious, is anyone having problems/pain with their bow shoulders? I would just like to see if this is a problem for many people. If you don't mind sharing a little of what exactly causes pain and where exactly the pain bothers you.

For me, I used to have some trouble if I didn't have my bow arm fully extended before drawing. It would cause some sharp pain at the front of my shoulder. I don't have anymore trouble with this if i fully extend my elbow prior to drawing.
I just started shooting around the end of July (first compound bow - cherry popped), and haven’t had any bow shoulder discomfort at all. My string shoulder on the other hand has had some sore nights, but seems fully recovered by the next morning. 100+ reps of anything and I suppose that can be expected, though.

As odd as this may sound, the compound training has seemed to be a good rehabilitation for my string shoulder, which I dislocated a few years back (no doctor, had the wife help me pop it back in....long dámn recovery to full, though...still ongoing, but most is mental now). I do notice a little “tennis elbow”/tendonitis in my string elbow from the repetitive motion. Think I might be a little bit too addicted to shooting to GAF, though (LOL)!

Where is the pain located On the bow shoulder, and also, how much weight we’re/are you pulling when the pain occurred? I’m curious of what correlations there may be - any other changes that may have been going on.

I started off at 53# until it became super easy to pull and hold, and upped the poundage a little bit with each plateau - at 63# now, and planning to let this plateau stay for awhile to dial in proper form and accuracy (may even walk it back). I did notice (and this may be obvious) more soreness overall with increased weight, but that feeling was more of a post workout feel....nothing sharp.

My bow arm is close to a stiff arm, but with an ever slight bend - I start off with a bend to get to full draw (unsure how much, but not much more than at full draw).

Is the pain you experience(d) a quick twinge, or longer lasting? Also, whereabouts in the shoulder was the feeling? Point to the doll and show me where he hurt/touched you (Haha). Just taking a WAG at it, my ass-umption would be a nerve getting “tweaked” briefly....unless it’s longer lasting sharp pain.

Interesting stuff to talk together about/figure out!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have arthritis in mine and meniscus damage due to dysplasia. So drawing forces that ball into the shoulder socket and it hurts. 50 pound range helps but I'm a handful of years away from shoulder replacement. It's not due to shooting a bow. It's a genetic issue honestly. Smaller than normal shoulder socket so my shoulders had a lot of slop in them, not enough stability. So ball and socket banged around for my whole life which led to my arthritis. Really started to notice in my 40s and PT, stretching, and strength training has gotten me this far (I'm 57 now).
Glad you’re still rockin the bow, brother! From my experience, it’s been very therapeutic - physically and mentally. The shoulder I dislocated I think was due to excessive throwing and contact sports growing up, but keeping it moving (doing something we love to do) has been way better overall than the long rest time I gave it.

I would recommend you look into something called DMSO to help alleviate things for you. You can get a gallon jug of it cheaply on eBay. I’ve used it on lots of different aches and pains, even on my lower back for kidney stone pain, and internally.

If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll drop a link to more info to get you started in research and/or trying some. No, I don’t sell it....haha

Keep that real shoulder going.....F the plastic and metal if you can avoid it!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just started shooting around the end of July (first compound bow - cherry popped), and haven’t had any bow shoulder discomfort at all. My string shoulder on the other hand has had some sore nights, but seems fully recovered by the next morning. 100+ reps of anything and I suppose that can be expected, though.

As odd as this may sound, the compound training has seemed to be a good rehabilitation for my string shoulder, which I dislocated a few years back (no doctor, had the wife help me pop it back in....long dámn recovery to full, though...still ongoing, but most is mental now). I do notice a little “tennis elbow”/tendonitis in my string elbow from the repetitive motion. Think I might be a little bit too addicted to shooting to GAF, though (LOL)!

Where is the pain located On the bow shoulder, and also, how much weight we’re/are you pulling when the pain occurred? I’m curious of what correlations there may be - any other changes that may have been going on.

I started off at 53# until it became super easy to pull and hold, and upped the poundage a little bit with each plateau - at 63# now, and planning to let this plateau stay for awhile to dial in proper form and accuracy (may even walk it back). I did notice (and this may be obvious) more soreness overall with increased weight, but that feeling was more of a post workout feel....nothing sharp.

My bow arm is close to a stiff arm, but with an ever slight bend - I start off with a bend to get to full draw (unsure how much, but not much more than at full draw).

Is the pain you experience(d) a quick twinge, or longer lasting? Also, whereabouts in the shoulder was the feeling? Point to the doll and show me where he hurt/touched you (Haha). Just taking a WAG at it, my ass-umption would be a nerve getting “tweaked” briefly....unless it’s longer lasting sharp pain.

Interesting stuff to talk together about/figure out!

Have a good one!
it's a problem of the past and i think it was just due to poor form. i believe i was getting some impingement of the long head of the biceps. the pain would only last a brief second but it i would have to rest my shoulder for a week or two which I believe was due to an inflammatory cycle sparking up. at the time i was pulling something like 55lbs just so i could draw real easy. the way i draw now i no longer have any problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
it's a problem of the past and i think it was just due to poor form. i believe i was getting some impingement of the long head of the biceps. the pain would only last a brief second but it i would have to rest my shoulder for a week or two which I believe was due to an inflammatory cycle sparking up. at the time i was pulling something like 55lbs just so i could draw real easy. the way i draw now i no longer have any problems.
Interesting stuff! Glad they shoulder is all good now, my good man!

I’m of the thought that not only does our form improve, but our body shifts when able to accommodate whatever action we’re doing. Those new motions under higher stress (poundage) take time to allow our ligaments, nerves, and muscles to “adjust” to (Ideally with no injury from over stressing). As I type this, I’m thinking directly of contortion artists and other ultra flexible people, and how they are able to take their flexibility to extremes.

One thing I’ve noticed with the way I draw, is that the high hand method which many pro’s/coaches on this forum advocate for (not saying this is “bad” by the way) seems to not be what my string shoulder wants to do naturally (it’s uncomfortable, and I myself can’t seem to draw with as good leverage). How much of this is a protective/mental instinct for the shoulder dislocation, I’m unsure of. I draw back on a more level plain due to this, and treat my string side Draw and anchor similarly to how I used to when throwing a football - it’s pretty cool how similar they are, minus the bow arm! Guess the throwing wear and tear of times past developed some good muscle memory that translates decently into compound archery (not as much on the recurve). Now to just shoot all x’s.

The thread from the PT guy on drawing and shoulders the other day was a very interesting read, and I tend to agree with him. There seems to be a natural range of motion that we can take to ranges that at first (for some at least) would seem unnatural.

I’m about to shoot a bit now - hopefully all these shoulder thoughts don’t follow me out there! Haha

Have a good one, brother!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Heading to the Hughston clinic Monday to get my draw shoulder looked at and probably injected. Have had 2 injections in my bow shoulder. My bow shoulder started in my 30s. Draw shoulder has been acting up 3-4 years. I’ll be 52 next week.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My shoulders were getting very sore even from shooting only a few arrows. I just switched back to my handheld thumb button release and all is good.

Something with a wrist strap kills my shoulders.

·
8,283 Posts
For shoulder pain it would be a good idea to get some stretch bands and work on rotator cuff exercises.

For tennis elbow get a thera flex bar and use that.

Both of these can be done several times a day to strengthen weakened and neglected muscles and tendons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heading to the Hughston clinic Monday to get my draw shoulder looked at and probably injected. Have had 2 injections in my bow shoulder. My bow shoulder started in my 30s. Draw shoulder has been acting up 3-4 years. I’ll be 52 next week.
Hey, Night!

I’d encourage both you and Mallard to check these videos out and consider trying DMSO for what you have going on. I can personally attest to using it for quite a few things - I do a 70% solution cut with distilled water personally. I have a gallon jug I picked up from eBay for around $40....lifetime supply, or near it would seem.

Here are a few videos to check out:

Hoping it’ll help y’all out as it has me, and keep the hacks from hacking into your body.

If/when ya try it, let me know how things work out. Make sure the skin you apply it to is real clean, as it will burn a bit otherwise topically (it attempts to “suck” any dirt or other things on your skin into it...hence the burn, because those particles are too large).

Have a good one, y’all!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My shoulders were getting very sore even from shooting only a few arrows. I just switched back to my handheld thumb button release and all is good.

Something with a wrist strap kills my shoulders.
Interesting - I’m wondering if it’s the hand/wrist angle at anchor, the way you draw back with the two releases, or a combination? Also, with the wrist strap, did/do you use fingers to grab the release when you draw, or all weight on the wrist? I grab behind the trigger - not a ton of finger pressure, but enough to make me feel like the fingers are assisting with everything.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Interesting - I’m wondering if it’s the hand/wrist angle at anchor, the way you draw back with the two releases, or a combination? Also, with the wrist strap, did/do you use fingers to grab the release when you draw, or all weight on the wrist? I grab behind the trigger - not a ton of finger pressure, but enough to make me feel like the fingers are assisting with everything.

Have a good one!
I think it was just the way I draw with the wrist strap. Using my shoulder to pull all of the weight. I wouldn’t really hang on to much with my fingers, just to hold the release head.

With my handheld I feel like I use more of my arm/bicep. During the draw my wrist/arm hold the weight vs all shoulder.

just my unprofessional diagnosis. Lol

·
Vendor
24,625 Posts
The good thing about being a physical therapist is you can diagnose what is causing the pain, then figure out a cure. :unsure:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it was just the way I draw with the wrist strap. Using my shoulder to pull all of the weight. I wouldn’t really hang on to much with my fingers, just to hold the release head.

With my handheld I feel like I use more of my arm/bicep. During the draw my wrist/arm hold the weight vs all shoulder.

just my unprofessional diagnosis. Lol
Hahaha - no, that’s cool, my bro....appreciate the reply, and I’d say you are definitely more a professional of you than anyone else! That makes sense to me, too.

I bought a cheap thumb release off of eBay a few weeks back and I’m wanting to use it, yet still engraining the shot process of the index release. My biggest issue with the index right now is the sensitivity - I can barely rest my finger on it....I’d like to be able to put more weight before it fires. Releases are crazy fuggin expensive, though - especially for those with nice trigger adjustments. It’s hard to get myself to pull the (pun intended) trigger on what amounts to a $100+ dollar tiny clamp. It would seem the release business needs more quality competition so we can end our extortion....haha

Off topic, but if anyone knows of a solid index release with trigger adjustability that I don’t have to trade a kidney for, I’d definitely appreciate a point in the right direction.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting stuff! Glad they shoulder is all good now, my good man!

I’m of the thought that not only does our form improve, but our body shifts when able to accommodate whatever action we’re doing. Those new motions under higher stress (poundage) take time to allow our ligaments, nerves, and muscles to “adjust” to (Ideally with no injury from over stressing). As I type this, I’m thinking directly of contortion artists and other ultra flexible people, and how they are able to take their flexibility to extremes.

One thing I’ve noticed with the way I draw, is that the high hand method which many pro’s/coaches on this forum advocate for (not saying this is “bad” by the way) seems to not be what my string shoulder wants to do naturally (it’s uncomfortable, and I myself can’t seem to draw with as good leverage). How much of this is a protective/mental instinct for the shoulder dislocation, I’m unsure of. I draw back on a more level plain due to this, and treat my string side Draw and anchor similarly to how I used to when throwing a football - it’s pretty cool how similar they are, minus the bow arm! Guess the throwing wear and tear of times past developed some good muscle memory that translates decently into compound archery (not as much on the recurve). Now to just shoot all x’s.

The thread from the PT guy on drawing and shoulders the other day was a very interesting read, and I tend to agree with him. There seems to be a natural range of motion that we can take to ranges that at first (for some at least) would seem unnatural.

I’m about to shoot a bit now - hopefully all these shoulder thoughts don’t follow me out there! Haha

Have a good one, brother!
I am the guy who made that post lol. I was thinking about making a post for peoples bow shoulders but i was curious to see how many people are actually having trouble with it and if it would be of any benefit. and yeah that high elbow draw places your shoulder in the easiest position to dislocate so your brain is like heck no i don't want to do that again haha.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Have a good one!
interested in this as well

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The good thing about being a physical therapist is you can diagnose what is causing the pain, then figure out a cure. :unsure:
if i can help just one person avoid shoulder problems then i will be one happy guy! shoulder problems are rough stuff and all too easy to happen in archery if things aren't done correctly

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahaha - no, that’s cool, my bro....appreciate the reply, and I’d say you are definitely more a professional of you than anyone else! That makes sense to me, too.

I bought a cheap thumb release off of eBay a few weeks back and I’m wanting to use it, yet still engraining the shot process of the index release. My biggest issue with the index right now is the sensitivity - I can barely rest my finger on it....I’d like to be able to put more weight before it fires. Releases are crazy fuggin expensive, though - especially for those with nice trigger adjustments. It’s hard to get myself to pull the (pun intended) trigger on what amounts to a $100+ dollar tiny clamp. It would seem the release business needs more quality competition so we can end our extortion....haha

Off topic, but if anyone knows of a solid index release with trigger adjustability that I don’t have to trade a kidney for, I’d definitely appreciate a point in the right direction.

Have a good one!
it's all a mental process. i'd urge you to check out a podcast by bowjunkie featuring joel turner of shot IQ. Joel has studied in depth the science behind command shooting/trigger slapping. and he will explain in great detail why your brain wants to do that and will tell you how to go about overcoming it. offseason i shoot a thumb but for deer season i have chosen to shoot with my index release. it has a stupid long trigger travel before it fires and i am not a fan of it but it gets the job done. i just hook my finger on it and bury the trigger as deep as i can in my first knuckle and pull till it fires. with the long trigger travel i feel like i am pulling for ten minutes sometimes but it does produce that surprise shot. after shooting this way my mind is so uncomfortable with slapping the trigger that i just physically can't do it, it makes me so anxious that i am going to miss lol

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Glad you’re still rockin the bow, brother! From my experience, it’s been very therapeutic - physically and mentally. The shoulder I dislocated I think was due to excessive throwing and contact sports growing up, but keeping it moving (doing something we love to do) has been way better overall than the long rest time I gave it.

I would recommend you look into something called DMSO to help alleviate things for you. You can get a gallon jug of it cheaply on eBay. I’ve used it on lots of different aches and pains, even on my lower back for kidney stone pain, and internally.

If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll drop a link to more info to get you started in research and/or trying some. No, I don’t sell it....haha

Keep that real shoulder going.....F the plastic and metal if you can avoid it!

Have a good one!
DMSO, I'm familiar with that! Back almost 40 years ago my mom got me some for my arm after high school baseball pitching. I think it was a horse thing wasn't it? I remember being able to taste it after putting it on my arm.

Reactions: Fates
1 - 20 of 37 Posts