Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hunted in fort Carson? My buddy is stationed out there and apparently they let people hunt. I would like to go this year for elk. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it? If so, is it worth it? Or am I better off going on public land? This would be my first elk hunt so any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
I like elk!
18,152 Posts
I’ve hunted Ft. Carson
It’s....different.
Cool, but not anything like hunting elk on typical CO public.

Lots of regulations. Areas you’re allowed to access, can change daily.
Locals have the good spots dialed, and that’ll play a huge role in even seeing elk...because only a certain number of hunters are allowed in a unit at one time.

Gotta check in and check out daily (thats probably done via internet now)
There are some big bulls on Carson, but there are big bulls in every unit west of i25.

It might be worth it for you, if your buddy is dialed, but the years I hunt otc, Carson isn’t even on my radar...and I’m only 2 hours drive.
Totally depends on the kind of elk hunt you’re after.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Ft. Carson can be a great hunt but the last few years access has been getting less and less. Expect to only get access on weekends and holidays during archery season. Even then it can be very limited at times. If you do it, make sure you have a backup area close that you can hunt weekdays and weekends if the access isn't good. PM me if you have any specific questions. I've been hunting Ft. Carson since 1994.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy isn't a hunter so he probably has no idea where they would be haha. Even though he says he sees elk all the time. I'm a single parent so I'll most likely only be out there for a week at most. I dont care how big of an elk i get (if at all) I just want to get out there and try. I have no idea how this works, like I said my first hunt in Colorado. Are the tags unit specific? If something happens and I can't hunt on Carson, can I just go to a near by unit? Thanks again guys

·
I like elk!
18,152 Posts
Ft. Carson is an otc unit.
If you buy an otc tag, you can hunt any otc unit.

Again, totally depends on the kind of Elk hunt you want.

Carson is low, and kinda desert like terrain. Oak brush, cactus, little draws with open areas that have juniper and pine.

It can be super hot too.

It’s not the typical Colorado alpine setting at all.

If you decide to give Carson a go, definitely take coloradohunter up on his offer.
He’s a super good dude.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ft. Carson is an otc unit.
If you buy an otc tag, you can hunt any otc unit.

Again, totally depends on the kind of Elk hunt you want.

Carson is low, and kinda desert like terrain. Oak brush, cactus, little draws with open areas that have juniper and pine.

It can be super hot too.

It’s not the typical Colorado alpine setting at all.

If you decide to give Carson a go, definitely take coloradohunter up on his offer.
He’s a super good dude.
Thanks for the info. Lower may not be bad for my first time. I'm not out of shape, but I'm not in shape either (which I'm working on). Being at high altitudes may not be enjoyable my first time out. I know alot of you guys probably train year round. I do plan on running and walking a lot more this year coming up to the season. But I dont know if itll be enough before September.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Not sure if it Ft. Carson or not, but I believe so. We fished bass tournaments with a guy that was in the military ( still does contract work for them). And he and his wife killed several deer off there, and he says they all tested positive for CWD. Not sure if it’s true, but something to look into if your thinking of hunting there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if it Ft. Carson or not, but I believe so. We fished bass tournaments with a guy that was in the military ( still does contract work for them). And he and his wife killed several deer off there, and he says they all tested positive for CWD. Not sure if it’s true, but something to look into if your thinking of hunting there.
I did read that they have mandatory cwd check in fort Carson. So it is possible. That would be a shame to put in all that work to find out you cant eat it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts