Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot backtensions for 3-ding, and i have always shot a wrist strap for hunting but i am getting to where i just dont like a wrist strap, so i was thinking about shooting my carter for hunting. That way with a cartre if i need to get the shot off quick i still can. What do you guys think about this??

Cy

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooooooooooooooo

I am using a Back tension this year hunting for the first time myself.......

I love it........

Walleye REv..................

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have used one the last two years. Almost had a disaster this year. I spot and stalk most of the time and had the release in my pocket. I had been doing some belly crawling to get into position to intercept my buck. When I went to clip the release on the string it would not lock. It had gotten full of dirt. I did not have a spare and I almost panicked. After about 5 minutes of blowing on and shaking it I was able to get it to lock on the loop. The deer showed up a very short time later. After the shot I was again unable to get the release to lock. I was very lucky I was able to get my deer. I do not feel comfortable with the wrist style trigger release anymore so will have to figure something different out for carrying the carter next year. In a tree stand there would be no problems unless you do not have it attached to your wrist and you drop it.

CLB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Elk/Bear/Deerssss all Carter

I am using aTargetmaster 4 /thumb......and a Targetmaster2(Thumb or little
finger) for back up>

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have used Carter thumb triggers for 3d & Hunting for years...

I used Carter BK Hunter releases for about 6 years, and I have used Carter Chocolate Addiction releases since then.....

I love them.

J

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I use a Carter Chocolate Addiction. I like the four-finger, but also have a three-finger in my pocket for backup. I leave mine clipped to my loop, it's always ready to go.

The only downside to thumb triggers for me in a hunting situation is when it's cold and I am wearing a lot of clothing around my neck. Collars and neck gaiters take up a lot of the space where my thumb and the trigger normally are. Hasn't been a problem yet, but I am carefull when drawing to guard the trigger with my thumb as I reach my anchor position. I've thought of going back to a wrist-strap index finger release for this reason, but I get pretty "punchy" with that style of release.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
I have been hunting with a Carter Insatiable thumb trigger release since 2000.
It works great; just attach it to the D-Loop and forget it until you're ready to shoot.

Sag.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I'll be hunting with a Carter's Chocolate Addiction this year. I wonder what took me so long to figure this out. I am much more accurate shooting one of these releases as opposed to the wrist strap type.

TEXAS

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Carter Chocolate Addiction 4 finger for me.

CLB, I had Jeff from Gray Wolf Woolens make me a little release pouch that I wear on my quiver belt to hold the release when stalking. In the early phases yet, but it looks like it is going to do a good job of keeping the dirt away from the release on those crawls. Should protect it a lot more than just a pocket. Give Jeff a shout.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have shot a Scott's Mongoose wrist strap caliper release for many years for hunting, but I love my Carter Solution 3, and this year I am hunting with it, set on backtention. So far I have only shot at one animal, (my doe), and it performed perfectly. I just feel more comfortable with it then a trigger type. The only thing I had to work out was the loud click from taking the safety off. I fixed the problem with some tennis racket tape that was padded.I merely built it up between the safety bar and the back of the releasestraight across from where your index finger goes. It is so quiet now, I can barely hear it go off even when I release it right by my ear. This release also has a thumb trigger, but I never use it in that mode.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I will be taking my Carter Solution 2.5(primary) and Chocolate Addiction(backup) in the woods this year. IF I take a wrist strap type it will be my Coppper John Eagle 3 finger release.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
I did until I got my saturday night special

·
Up a Tree.......
3,145 Posts
Carter Releases

I have used a Carter Hole Thing for years , upgraded to a Chocolate Lite this year...................

·
Registered
28 Posts
i was hunting with my carter choclate addiction but it was talking a long time to get the shoot off now i use a trigger but i keep my carter in my back pack for a back up

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use the Carter Bighorn BT release for hunting. It has a hole you can put a lanyard through. I use one of those tent rope tensioner thingies to keep it secured to my wrist. I also use a Zenith BT release(which I prefer,) but I cant secure it anywhere.
I was using a Fletcher Cal.44 wrist release, but I flinch to much with it.

Mark

1 - 20 of 45 Posts