Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m coming from a target background and getting into hunting. I prefer a longer ATA. I plan on an elk hunt next year. Does anyone here hunt with an Elite Victory 37 or something long in ata still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
I’m coming from a target background and getting into hunting. I prefer a longer ATA. I plan on an elk hunt next year. Does anyone here hunt with an Elite Victory 37 or something long in ata still?

I’m hunting with a Evolve 35 this year but I had bows in the 40”, 36”, 38” range and hunted in ground blinds, tree stands, shooting houses. You just have to be able to draw and shoot, make sure don’t hit a stand or blind and your good to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my opinion if it works for you... as in you can shoot well with the bow, then your good to go. Longer ata you may find over time to be a slight hindrence in tight spaces but to get started hunting i think youll be just fine. My current bow is 34 ata and i have absolutely no problems even in the thick country of Montana.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Love my v37 , originally got it for 3D. But it shot so well it made a turkey hunt before a 3D shoot. The more I Shot it the quicker it became it a hunting rig. Stuck some 80 # impulse limbs on it and haven’t looked back. Super quiet. Just a natural shooter for me.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've hunted the with a V37 for the last 2 years out of a tree stand with no issues. I am going to hunt with my Echelon 37 this year. I've hunted with 35"-42 ATA bows for 30 years with only 2 years of hunting with 33"-35" ATA bows.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,059 Posts
I am hunting with an E35 this year, I'm just to accurate with that bow to use any other, benefits out weigh any negatives.

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
I hunted with the v37 last year and really liked it,I sold it and purchased a moxie origin and like it even more....Grizz

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
buddy shot is moose with his v37. people have been brain washed into tanking you need a short bow to hunt.( not that a 37 " is a long bow LOL)

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
buddy shot is moose with his v37. people have been brain washed into tanking you need a short bow to hunt.( not that a 37 " is a long bow LOL)
There are as many brainwashed into thinking you need a long ata to hunt with,not to mention the amount of preachers out there as well..............shoot what you are comfortable with.....

·
Registered
507 Posts
nothing says you cant hunt with it.

i played musical hunting bows last season while shooting my v37 for target. nothing shot like the V37... so im hunting with it now and bought another V37 for target. the deciding factor for me was chronoing next to a smaller ATA, smaller brace height bow that i was hunting with. same arrow, poundage, and draw... the V37 wasnt any slower.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
There are as many brainwashed into thinking you need a long ata to hunt with,not to mention the amount of preachers out there as well..............shoot what you are comfortable with.....
You can hunt with short bows but if you want to hit anything everyone knows you need a long ATA bow :wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
672 Posts
love the v37 how in the world has Chuck Adams killed anything with that 40 inch plus bow and cheap faded cotton clothing....grin

·
Have Bow, Will Travel
451 Posts
I, too, had hunted with compounds from 44" down to 37" with my last being a 2003 Hoyt Ultratec. Since then I have shot bows that are 60-64". I picked up an Elite Echelon 37 for this fall just for fun. I have never been hindered in 33 years of bowhunting due to the length of my bow and am looking forward to hunting with the Elite.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts

I am hunting and target shooting with an Elite Pure 36" ATA and a Hoyt 737 with xt2000 limbs so its 38" ata and won't shoot anything shorter. I started Hunting with a 48" ata Golden Eagle went as small as a 33" ata Bowtech Allegiance. I remember when a 38" ata bow was considered ridiculously short now we really have ridiculously short bow under 30".

Shoot what you find comfortable and don't let anyone influence your choice!

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
My preferred ATA length range for hunting is roughly 35"-39" with a 28ish" DL and a 6.75"- 7.75" BH.
I believe that having a significantly different DL would require adjusting those numbers.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I bought a V37 specifically to hunt with this year. Loving it so far and hope to post a kill pic with it in the next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts