Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to have this sight on my 3D detup this summer and would like to hunt with it also. I dont have mine yet but the pics of it makes it look pretty long. Just wondering if any of you guys hunt with this sight and if so do you have any problems with the length of it?? Also could someone measure theirs for me so i can see if it will fit in my bowcase? thanks! Clay

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I hunt with a CJ

but with the dead nuts pro 5 pin. Great hunting sight--don't know how great it would be for 3D, but when ever I shoot a 3D target it gets hit--and sometimes is harvested.:D ;)

does this help?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Paul

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the CJ Pro II mounted on a Mathews LX. The sight is fully extented and in fits in my SKB double bow case without removing the sight..... LC

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
the optics aren't very sturdy. lost 2 fibers this summer just shooting 3-d. but don't let that scare you
the sight is sturdy and replacement pins can be had.
doesn't it have a thumb screw that you can loosen and slide it to the position you want? extend it as you wish.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I hunt with my CJ Pro 3 with no problems. Very tough. Fibers can break, but I have been using these sights for 3 years now and only had that happen once, and I spend many days in the field each season. Highly recommend them for 3D or hunting.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I use the Pro 2 on all my bows. Have the next to last adjustment so it sticks out there. I use them hunting and 3D. Love the sights but agree, keep extra pins.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i guess im not very familiar with the CJ pro sights...What is different about the pins from the Dead Nuts pins? I just figured they were the same, so what is the difference? And im guessing you can just put Dead Nuts pins on there right?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
The difference is...

from what I can figure out is that Pro II and the Pro III are different from the dead nuts pro 3 or 5.

Dead Nuts Pro:

Is basically a hunting sight with either 3 pins or 5 pins. They have 3 sets of holes on the arm of the sight to help with adjustment. No thumb screws at all--you will need an allen wrench to adjust.

Pro 2 and 3 are mainly competition sights that have a longer bar/arm and various thumb screws to adjust when on the range.

Now I'm not an expert and this is my observations only. I THINK that with the Pro 2 or 3 that this sight would be more prone in a hunting environment to become damaged in the pins or fiber optics because of sticking out so far.

The dead nuts pro sights are mainly used for hunting, and you can use either series of sights for both. I do love the CJ sights though.

Hope that helps
Paul

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
"LC" Bowhunter said:
I have the CJ Pro II mounted on a Mathews LX. The sight is fully extented and in fits in my SKB double bow case without removing the sight..... LC
Ditto for me. Love it. Mine has the .019 pins. I pulled off the last one, cause I am never going to take a 60 yard shot at a critter anyhow.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I have the Pro II on my hunting bow I don't shoot 3D but I will give some info I know about the CJ DeadNuts Sights.

The Pins are either .029 or .019 in the size most of the Pro's come with .019.

Second if you are buying one I would recommend you special order it with the color pins you like they come in Red, Yellow, and Green. Most come with red and one of the other colors but the Red is very dark and tough to see in low light I would suggest getting a special order one with two green and two yellow but they now might come with more pins maybe five. Mine is a few years old. It is 7 inches out and it is adjustable. What I do is extend it all the way out when hunting and it has a large knob headed screw that you can loosen and slide the sight in so that it will fit in the case without having to take it out of the dovetail mounting bracket. I have not had any issues with the pins and have been using it for two years now...
Or you can buy the extra color pins you are looking for and keep those that aren't as bright like the reds at least for me they weren't...

The also have great customer service since the company is growing the guy I have dealt with there is Mr. Al ****. Very knowledge guy and also very helpful.

They also have a sight light for it called an "Afterburner" a black light that helps in low light. it is an accessory but if you can use it in the state you hunt in all the better. It screws into the ring at an angle.

The have a website you can get a look and what is currently available for their sights. Just do a search for Copper John and you should find everything you are looking for...

Hope that helps Good Luck...

Mike/LFM

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for my reference, What is the difference in the CJ Dead Nuts 5 pin and the CJ Pro sight?? I can see no visible differences....Im glad i asked this, So why is the CJ Pro II any better than the rest of the CJ sights besides it allows for more pin gap b/c of the extension? thanks! Clay

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Clay,

Pin gap is really the differance b/w the differant CJ's. I also have the afterburner light mentioned above. It makes a huge differance in low light. Go with the Pro II, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Clay, the difference between the Deadhuts Hunter, Pro Hunter and Pro 2 and 3 is the degree to which the 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments can be made, whether the axis adjustments can be made independently from each other, and the size pins. Do yourself and favor and call CJ and they wil explain it all to you.

I use a .029 green fiber for my 20 yard pin and .019 fiber pins for my 30 and 40 yard pins.

I have some fairly credible inside info that CJ will be changing this sight quite a bit for 2005, so you may want to wait to buy a new one.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Sorry I thought I included this...

www.copperjohn.com

It looks like it now comes with 5 pins when I bought the two I have it only came with 4 pins and the standard was two green and two red pins...

Call them and see what is going on for 2005 they might be addinding or changing something...

Again Good Luck,
Mike/LFM

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I have had the CJ Dead Nuts with the afterburner for over a year now and I have really been impressed. I thought i would make an upgrade after this season but right now it doesnt look like much of an upgrade. I will contact Al **** b/c he has helped me out many times in the past and see what he says CJ has in line for 2005. thanks! Clay

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hey what I did with my Dead Nuts was I ordered .39 thousands pins from cobra___ who Makes the best and most visable pins out there. The other nite I fell in some serious stuff ,Bow went down !st ---No damage. I love my Copper John Camo Hunter. Its the best (with Cobra Pins) out thereas far as m concerned. Pins were the T.K.O.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts