Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone in central Ohio have a bowpress?

491 13
I'm looking for anyone locally with a bowpress to put cables and a string on a Hoyt Protec. I'm trying to avoid paying a pro-shop to do it. I have no experience myself, but, does anyone in the Central Ohio, or more specifially Lancaster, Ohio area have a press?

Any help is appreciated!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
If you don't want to pay a pro shop for the services they can provide, then why don't you just buy a bow press and start doing it yourself??

Just curious...how much would you have to pay at the pro shop??

· Registered
5,230 Posts
I'm looking for anyone locally with a bowpress to put cables and a string on a Hoyt Protec. I'm trying to avoid paying a pro-shop to do it. I have no experience myself, but, does anyone in the Central Ohio, or more specifially Lancaster, Ohio area have a press?

Any help is appreciated!
Just by chance were you the guy that brought the protec into Fairfield Outdoors last Saturday expecting the string from Hoyt to be there? Thats where I would take it. Shane is the best around!

· Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here's the deal, I have to buy a new string and cables due to a seller on ebay assuring me they were good when they were not. I was just trying to save where I can. I think it cost $20 plus to have them put on.

· Registered
9,738 Posts
$20.00 is not a bad price. Most dealers in this area charge $15-20.00 as a press fee. If they weren't working on your bow they could be setting up another bow,selling other items and installing them etc. The $20.00 will be money well spent if someone doesn't check string length,tiller adjustment and cam lean. Just my two cents!:wink:

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Well here's the deal, I have to buy a new string and cables due to a seller on ebay assuring me they were good when they were not. I was just trying to save where I can. I think it cost $20 plus to have them put on.
Did Fairfield quote you $20? 653-bows is their number if you havent called them yet.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
The other thing to consider is that if someone is helping you free and they mess up or even if they do everything right, what happens should your bow explode?

Most places of business will take responsibility for thier work and have pressed MANY bows daily. What's $20, really?

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Fairfield Outdoors is less than 10 minutes from Sugar Grove...depending on where you are at in SG probably only 5 mins away. You could spend $20 in gas going elsewhere. Tell Shane that Troy sent ya:wink: on second thought he may charge you double if you do that:eek: just kidding:wink::) If you buy strings off of them they dont charge extra to install them. Shane makes a killer string and cable!!

· Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll ask about him building me strings and cables too then. I've been there before, I wasn't expecting to have to buy strings or cabels because he guy said they were fine. Now I have to spend more on this and fight with the seller regarding some sort of a refund towards the new set.

I'm off to fairfield Outdoors, thanks.

· Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, things came up and I was not able to. I spoke with the ebay seller saying he's sorry the string is slightly severed, even though he assured me he looked it over and it was fine. He is a "third party" and sold the bow for the owner. He said the bow is still shootable with the severed string. Well that's true for awhile, but, I didn't pay for a bow with a string I'd have to replace and pour more money into. He said if I didn't like it, to ship it back. It'll be hard, but, I may take him up on the offer.

· Registered
5,230 Posts
No, things came up and I was not able to. I spoke with the ebay seller saying he's sorry the string is slightly severed, even though he assured me he looked it over and it was fine. He is a "third party" and sold the bow for the owner. He said the bow is still shootable with the severed string. Well that's true for awhile, but, I didn't pay for a bow with a string I'd have to replace and pour more money into. He said if I didn't like it, to ship it back. It'll be hard, but, I may take him up on the offer.
Shane will make you a killer string for $65...that includes putting it on and everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.