Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My focus has been on getting a deer, which I finally did. Grandson came over and we decided to just have fun. Tennis balls swinging from paracord, 4 " tennis balls rolled on the ground with fluflu arrows and blunts. Tried the aerial shots with using a Frisbee and the fluflus....I aint no Howard Hill or Byron Ferguson, but we had a bast!

I must say the fluflus bouncing a 4" tennnis ball around the field is some good small game practice! The suspended tennis ball has been a part of our regime for awhile. Now if I miss on the 3D course ,my son tells me to just imagine the tennis ball.
Gonna do some balloons with colored chalk in them next. Some up close for the grand son and some scattered in the field out to 100-150 yards as a type of archery golf with the fluflus.

Got some plastic golfballs I want to try as well.

So what are you doing for fun and to hone your skills?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like a great idea and loads of fun, I just got some blunts in the mail. Looks like I'm going to wall mart to pick up some balls for targets!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a 3 pack of heavy duty 4 " tennis balls made for dogs off Amazon. They are a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
That's what archery is supposed to be. Fun.
Any pics of your deer?
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,274 Posts
I shoot for two hours today from standing and seated positions for 5 to 20 yards. Any day with a bow in your hand is a good day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fun is roving/stumping. Plenty of targets in the woods and fields...don't need to buy anything. Been doing that for over fifty years and having lots of fun.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used to live for hunting season. All my shooting was geared in that direction weather it was field archer, 3D, or just “shooting “. I thought I was having fun until one day I realized it was more like work because that’s how I had subconsciously approached my archery experience. I threw away the score cards, made up the ugliest bow I could and shot arrows without really caring if I hit anything. That of course wasn’t the best idea but I did have fun and it was like a weight was taken off me. Frankly at 76 years old my hunting days are physical work but I enjoy the outdoors so I do what I can. I have lost that “have to kill” attitude and just enjoy myself weather on the range or in the woods( desert).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great deer! Congrats on you first trad and archery kill!! Don’t discount your accomplishment with the “small buck” talk. My first trad deer was smaller and I couldn’t have been happier. It’s an achievement that most hunters these days will never match. The amount of time and dedication you spent preparing should not go without notice. I’m excited to try some of your practice ideas… I too have become monotonous in my practice. Having fun with it sounds well.. fun!! Congratulations again!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My focus has been on getting a deer, which I finally did. Grandson came over and we decided to just have fun. Tennis balls swinging from paracord, 4 " tennis balls rolled on the ground with fluflu arrows and blunts. Tried the aerial shots with using a Frisbee and the fluflus....I aint no Howard Hill or Byron Ferguson, but we had a bast!

I must say the fluflus bouncing a 4" tennnis ball around the field is some good small game practice! The suspended tennis ball has been a part of our regime for awhile. Now if I miss on the 3D course ,my son tells me to just imagine the tennis ball.
Gonna do some balloons with colored chalk in them next. Some up close for the grand son and some scattered in the field out to 100-150 yards as a type of archery golf with the fluflus.

Soon as I got a bow again( hopefully tomorrow) and I got some arrows tuned up, hopefully tomorrow. Ill head out to the back 40 to wander around and stump shoot.
Having decided to lose the rangefinder stump shooting at random distances really helps me a ton and getting out into the woods is good for the head.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,274 Posts
Antler mount that buck, I antler mount all my bucks, large and small. Some people think I am crazy for doing so, but the memories are worth it. Ten years from now you will look at the mount on your wall and instantly replay that whole day in your mind. That is money well spent.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Antler mount that buck, I antler mount all my bucks, large and small. Some people think I am crazy for doing so, but the memories are worth it. Ten years from now you will look at the mount on your wall and instantly replay that whole day in your mind. That is money well spent.
I am using the antlers for tip overlays on one my first bow builds! Working on making a hybrid longbow myself.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post the great thread. After reading I stopped putting off replacing field points with ACE blunts, went out on our property and had a ball shooting at leaves, stationary and blowing in the wind. I have to admit the 50-100 arrow nightly practice sessions have gotten to be more like work. Can't complain though the 11,000+ practice arrows since April on a target butt payed off shooting the leaves! Happy to report no lost or broken cedar arrows. Think I will have another go of it tonight!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
One of my favorite things to do is to go down to the wheat field and start shooting for distance. When the grandkids are here for the weekend, they like to play cow patty golf. It's a hoot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Unfortunately, the industry mindset has been run to make people apologetic for shooting anything that isn't a "trophy" in their eyes. That's a fine buck and you should be proud of it. There are more deer like that taken then there are giant ten points by far. I judge my trophies by the effort put into the hunt, not the points or spread of antlers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately, the industry mindset has been run to make people apologetic for shooting anything that isn't a "trophy" in their eyes. That's a fine buck and you should be proud of it. There are more deer like that taken then there are giant ten points by far. I judge my trophies by the effort put into the hunt, not the points or spread of antlers.
I have gun hunted off and on over the years. In my area growing up, an 8 pointer was huge! After my grandfather died, I did not hunt much. He was my hunting partner. We always hunted for meat. A LOT of squirrels and a few deer. I have shot several does.

This was my first buck and will always be a trophy as I got it with a bow! Now that I have a grandson, I will probably find a club to join and see if we can get one together. I took my sons on an invited hunt to a club when they were all early teens and they each got one. Now that deer have made a come back here, we do plan on trying to manage our small herd and planting some food plots.

I have a bear problem right now and he has capitalized on our campsight. We leave it clean, but he checks in on a regular basis. When he does, the deer movement ceases for a day or two..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been lucky enough to save some $ over the years, and I now have 9 3d targets set up on our 1 little wooded acre- 4 deer, 2 turkeys, a hog, coyote, and a grouse. I can pick multiple locations for "easy," or "hard," long or short shots. We're on a hillside too, so I can practice shooting from an elevated position (as if from a tree stand.)

It's like my own mini-3D course that I can spend minutes or hours shooting, & never take the same shot twice-love it!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts