Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta VENT so sorry in advance. So I've got a friend...well maybe not any more who finds it necessary to take photo ops. w/every good shed and/or big deer everyone he knows shoots and even some he doesn't know. As if that's not bad enough he has to first put on his camo coat and hat! Not him the deer and the proud owner, just him and the deer. He then proceeds to send out random texts of the picture w/no wording. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if it were a joke once in a while followed by the "explanation" text but no it takes days to get the story. Then you talk to someone else who got the text w/a different story!

One other thing, he has about 90acres in NY that has no major agriculture and where deer seldom make it past a year and a half like most of our state. He has chronic pain issues and spends maybe 10-20 partial days afield, but seems to have more big buck encounters on that property every year than any of you guys from The Land of the Giants or Canada!! Oh and never quite has a shot, or it was 2-3 minutes after legal shooting light!

He has only recently started hunting and is very green,not that I'm some kind of authority, but have many more years of experience adn have walked the property a couple times at his request to give him an idea of potential stand locations(funny cause I still strugle myself) However, he has killed a couple small deer from my suggested sites(the kind of deer most of us kill in NY). To listen to him talk about scouting and everything else not knowing him you would think WOW this guy is locked on! But I know him.

Well, after a very difficult year and about the 4th stupid text w/no explanation I blasted him, called him out. I told him exactly what I'm telling you. That there simply are not that many P&Y/B&C deer in his back yard, and what kind of delusional moron takes pictures w/everybody elses deer and circulates them. To listen to him talk, you'd think he must be hunting in Iowa, or Manitoba!! I'm sick of it! Why does it bother me so much? it really makes no difference in my life, I guess I feel as though he is somehow discrediting or taking credit for somebody else's hard work. By the way this goof has a LONG history of embellishing and sensationalizing any story, not just hunting.

I really am just a humble guy that has been blessed enough to kil a few deer and spend many times afirld w/out seeing a deer and have no issues saying just that "nope, didn't see anything". Thanks for listening to me rant guys. I would probably been better off not saying anything to him. Or was it time for him to hear the truth? So far I'm the only person in a LONG line that has thrown th B.S. card.

·
Master Class
8,199 Posts
The guy has an EGO problem. I know a guy like him. He was like that when he was 12 years old and he is now pushing 60 and he is still the same. I think he is getting worse in his older age. Find yourself another friend. This guy bothers you bad.

·
-------
2,640 Posts
Gotta VENT so sorry in advance. So I've got a friend...well maybe not any more who finds it necessary to take photo ops. w/every good shed and/or big deer everyone he knows shoots and even some he doesn't know. As if that's not bad enough he has to first put on his camo coat and hat! Not him the deer and the proud owner, just him and the deer. He then proceeds to send out random texts of the picture w/no wording. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if it were a joke once in a while followed by the "explanation" text but no it takes days to get the story. Then you talk to someone else who got the text w/a different story!

One other thing, he has about 90acres in NY that has no major agriculture and where deer seldom make it past a year and a half like most of our state. He has chronic pain issues and spends maybe 10-20 partial days afield, but seems to have more big buck encounters on that property every year than any of you guys from The Land of the Giants or Canada!! Oh and never quite has a shot, or it was 2-3 minutes after legal shooting light!

He has only recently started hunting and is very green,not that I'm some kind of authority, but have many more years of experience adn have walked the property a couple times at his request to give him an idea of potential stand locations(funny cause I still strugle myself) However, he has killed a couple small deer from my suggested sites(the kind of deer most of us kill in NY). To listen to him talk about scouting and everything else not knowing him you would think WOW this guy is locked on! But I know him.

Well, after a very difficult year and about the 4th stupid text w/no explanation I blasted him, called him out. I told him exactly what I'm telling you. That there simply are not that many P&Y/B&C deer in his back yard, and what kind of delusional moron takes pictures w/everybody elses deer and circulates them. To listen to him talk, you'd think he must be hunting in Iowa, or Manitoba!! I'm sick of it! Why does it bother me so much? it really makes no difference in my life, I guess I feel as though he is somehow discrediting or taking credit for somebody else's hard work. By the way this goof has a LONG history of embellishing and sensationalizing any story, not just hunting.

I really am just a humble guy that has been blessed enough to kil a few deer and spend many times afirld w/out seeing a deer and have no issues saying just that "nope, didn't see anything". Thanks for listening to me rant guys. I would probably been better off not saying anything to him. Or was it time for him to hear the truth? So far I'm the only person in a LONG line that has thrown th B.S. card.
I think you did the right thing. I did a similar thing with my brother-in-law this year. He was ripping one of his own relatives basically saying the only reason he gets big deer is because of where he hunts and that "anyone" could shoot big deer if they hunted there. Made me mad how he belittled all of the hard work the group of guys had put into their property and the success they have had with it.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy has an EGO problem. I know a guy like him. He was like that when he was 12 years old and he is now pushing 60 and he is still the same. I think he is getting worse in his older age. Find yourself another friend. This guy bothers you bad.
He really is a VERY nice guy, but he did grow up w/that fighting is the only way to solve a problem chip on his shoulder. Very soon I'm expecting to be physically threatened. And although I'm really no fighter, I've never been good at turning the other cheek, I do have a little pride.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
I know the kind, and NOPE I havent seen anything:embara:
I NEVER see anything and when I kill something decent it's dumb luck because I hadn't seen a deer or sign........... Figured that out when I was about 19.

I guess guys that BS don't bother me because I've listened to them since I was a kid. Of course I don't have true friends that have to blow smoke up my butt all the time. I promise you there are people that compete in softball, archery, fishing, shooting or anything else that are always putting a spin on something to make themselves appear 'knowledgeable' or 'good' at their game. I've come to realize that it's VERY prevalent in all walks of life. Unfortunately some people close to me are quick to put on the 'expert' face when I know that they aren't knowledgeable about a topic. It's all very sad but there are many people that crave the attention from others more than they enjoy the quest...........

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have some relation like that. Sees more record deer than anyone I know but can't kill one w/o his gun to save his life. He's killed a few nice deer w/ his shotgun, as have I, but they have all been complete luck. But as soon as you put a bow in his hand he can't get anything down. Always been a one-upper type of guy too, no matter what, he's done or seen better. Its just the way some people are & it all boils down to insecurity. Get away as fast as you can, you don't need that kind of attitude dragging you down.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't particularly pay too much attention to that sort. I may not "know all or do all"...but I throw the BS card quite often - I didn't ride in on the turnip truck last night.

That guy may be a nice guy and all but he's not doing much for his integrity.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some relation like that. Sees more record deer than anyone I know but can't kill one w/o his gun to save his life. He's killed a few nice deer w/ his shotgun, as have I, but they have all been complete luck. But as soon as you put a bow in his hand he can't get anything down. Always been a one-upper type of guy too, no matter what, he's done or seen better. Its just the way some people are & it all boils down to insecurity. Get away as fast as you can, you don't need that kind of attitude dragging you down.
Funny thing is he can't enen seem to get it done w/the .270!:eek: He really doesn't compete or get into he has done and seen better, just can't seem to step in the woods without seeing endless BIG BUCK sign or calling/rattling in a Monster that stys just out of range. His last nastygram said not only is there 3 gaggers which he can now identify by the unique HUGE tarcks and rubs they leave, but there is actually many more!!:pukey: Keep in mind, this is central NY, we have some good deer but it's no ILlinois,Iowa or Ohio!!!! Not even in the same league!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just dismiss his photo texts by replying with something like, "meh, I saw one bigger yesterday but I couldn't get the shot"

Do this every time no matter what and I bet he gets the hint but if passive aggressive isn't your thing then just be straight with him that this is bugging the crap out of you so stop sending them to you unless it's one he actually dropped.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
yup,

but not anymore.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
lol, do this...

if he confronts you , chest all puffed up, say nothing. just reach into your wallet and hand him twenty bucks. tell him you are paying for his explanation of why he sent you those text pics. if he leaves with the twenty bucks and you never hear from him again, it will be the best twenty bucks you have ever spent in your life, trust me!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laugh:
lol, do this...

if he confronts you , chest all puffed up, say nothing. just reach into your wallet and hand him twenty bucks. tell him you are paying for his explanation of why he sent you those text pics. if he leaves with the twenty bucks and you never hear from him again, it will be the best twenty bucks you have ever spent in your life, trust me!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Sounds like my dad :pukey:
ouch...

They don't bother me cuz I'm probably an even bigger BS'er....
But I don't take pictures with other people's deer....that's about like buying a rack or mount...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts