Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone lighting their wood stoves yet?

720 Views 21 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  craig76
just got one of my pellet stoves cleaned out tonight and trying her out already..weather man talking frost in the next couple days so I figured I had better get ready.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,082 Posts
HEAT??? :eek: we still running the air conditioners down here.:confused:
coolest it has been so far is high 50's

· Registered
1,946 Posts
We started our new Harman Pellet stove today in fact.. Runs great. We have 8 ton in the garage. I am installing a second stove next week. I have a wood stove at the other end of the house but only have about 2 cord. We didnt have as much time to get wood this year. We went thru 11 cords last winter. This pellet stuff was a lot easier. We will see how it goes.

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We started our new Harman Pellet stove today in fact.. Runs great. We have 8 ton in the garage. I am installing a second stove next week. I have a wood stove at the other end of the house but only have about 2 cord. We didnt have as much time to get wood this year. We went thru 11 cords last winter. This pellet stuff was a lot easier. We will see how it goes.
I love the pellets man they are so much easier. a little more pricey since I can get wood for free but less hassle. I have 1 ton in the garage and probably need 1-2 more before it gets cold. I have the whitfield in the pic and also a vermont castings-reliance in the basement...I have a new wood stove but its in the garage.:)

· Registered
1,946 Posts
I love the pellets man they are so much easier. a little more pricey since I can get wood for free but less hassle. I have 1 ton in the garage and probably need 1-2 more before it gets cold. I have the whitfield in the pic and also a vermont castings-reliance in the basement...I have a new wood stove but its in the garage.:)
Well these pellets certainly make stacking and storage a lot easier. No bugs and no mice in the piles. The dust and dirt in the house should also go way down. I still love working with wood, its just the time to cut, split, stack, etc. that is tough these days.
I saw last night searching the net about these new Bricks. They are made of the same stuff as pellets, but they are for a woosstove. I am going to buy a few to try out this year. Had I seen them earlier I would have bought a couple ton instead of a second pellet stove.
They look like they would also be easy to store, and clean to move around the house. It will never replace wood, but it sounds like a great alternative especially if you already have a wood stove..

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well these pellets certainly make stacking and storage a lot easier. No bugs and no mice in the piles. The dust and dirt in the house should also go way down. I still love working with wood, its just the time to cut, split, stack, etc. that is tough these days.
I saw last night searching the net about these new Bricks. They are made of the same stuff as pellets, but they are for a woosstove. I am going to buy a few to try out this year. Had I seen them earlier I would have bought a couple ton instead of a second pellet stove.
They look like they would also be easy to store, and clean to move around the house. It will never replace wood, but it sounds like a great alternative especially if you already have a wood stove..
Do you know what the price is on those bricks? I havent seen any around here yat.

· Registered
817 Posts
What is a ton of pellets cost you guys? Here they are priced 270 a ton. The pellet stove was economical when i first bought it but like everything else its starting to get pricey. When i first bought my stove pellets were 190 a ton.:cry:

· Registered
1,946 Posts
What is a ton of pellets cost you guys? Here they are priced 270 a ton. The pellet stove was economical when i first bought it but like everything else its starting to get pricey. When i first bought my stove pellets were 190 a ton.:cry:
I bought mine earlier in the year for about 239.00
They seem to be a bit costly right now and I think some of that is due to the Diesel costs associated with shipping.

· Registered
2,712 Posts
Stoves

Hey, questions for you guru's.
I've only ever had wood stoves, but have just moved and cant have one in the place I'm in now. Do the corn/pellet stoves have to be vented? I dont see any stove pipe in the pics. Also, can you burn corn or pellets in the same stove or are they dedicated to one type of fuel? Thanks.

· Registered
7,100 Posts
I fired mine up back on the first when it got REALLLLY cold (35?)

Went out and picked up a bunch of weather stripping and did the windows again, tell you what... the difference it makes from not having the weather stripping and having it is HUGE. Most of the time if it gets to 50 or below outside I need to run the stove, since I installed the weather stripping I haven't run the stove and it has been down in the low 40s several times.

If you have a house with not so great windows (ie: anything 10+ years old) do yourself a favor, go buy some weather stripping, put in in the window seals and close the windows up tight (they will be REAL tight) and you'll save a fortune.

· Registered
7,100 Posts
Hey, questions for you guru's.
I've only ever had wood stoves, but have just moved and cant have one in the place I'm in now. Do the corn/pellet stoves have to be vented? I dont see any stove pipe in the pics. Also, can you burn corn or pellets in the same stove or are they dedicated to one type of fuel? Thanks.
Yes - they need vented. the only stoves that I'm aware of that don't need vented are propane (some models) and electric.

Some stoves can burn both corn and pellets but most people have stopped using the corn as its really not that cheap anymore unless you grow it yourself and the auto-light feature doesn't work for corn which is a huge bonus for pellets. (ie: push the button and it lights)

· Registered
5,552 Posts
I know pellets are made through an extrusion process...does anyone know how it is done???

I can't believe it could be that hard to make your own. Far as I know its just compressed sawdust!! If you look at a ton of pellets, its pretty easy to see...there isn't a whole lot of wood in a ton!

· Registered
6,439 Posts
never saw the appeal in burning pellets. Why rely on having to buy from a manufacturer...plus I'm guessing they might require electricity to power the auger (as corn burners do)...I like to keep it simple. Cut logs, split, dry then burn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.