Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nephew in the ARmy and next week he goes to permanent duty in Ft Lewis Wa...I told him to use it as an opportunity to hunt someplace he probably will never go again in his life....He is 19 years old and loves to bowhunt!!! I started him bowhunting when he was 9! Anyone live around there and could help the boy get started hunting in that area,,,I'd like for him to experience hunting in that part of the country before having to go to IRAQ!

·
Registered
91 Posts
nephew hunting

Kildog,
I'm located 100 miles south of Fort Lewis and would be honored to help your nephew. Our early archery season ends Sept 30. Our late season starts Nov 20.

Have him call or e-mail me and we'll work out the details: 360.577.6301 or [email protected]

Dave

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
There is lots of public land to hunt not far from Fort Lewis. It would be nice if your nephew could get himself a blacktail to hang on the wall back home - and being at Fort Lewis he'll be smack dab in the middle of Washington's blacktail country (he'll probably even see a few around the base). There's also roosevelt elk in the area but they're harder to come by. There are several archery clubs in the area. You might want to check out the Capitol City Bowmen at www.crispie.com/ccb.

Give your nephew our best wishes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the help...I would love for him to get him a blacktail...the boy loves to bowhunt!!!I knew I could depend on you guys...Hey dave is it ok if he calls you when he gets settled in...he's not taking anything to the base so he will need some help gettin hooked up with a good local pro shop and someone to help with getting him a local regs book!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Northwest Archery is the home of Glen St. Charles and family and is North of Ft. Lewis about an hour. Glen is the founder of Pope and Young and they have a full Pro Shop and Museum. Do a search for Pope and Young.

Be sure to have him drop by the Pope and Young Club museum and visit with Glenn St. Charles and family for a while. The museum is open 10am to 6pm Tuesday through Friday and 10am-5pm on Saturday (206-878-7300). It is located in Seattle just 10 minutes from Sea-Tac airport at 19807 1st Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98148.

We own The Nock Point even further North, 2hrs or so from Ft. Lewis. Pro Shop with indoor lanes, 425 672-8080.

Im sure between Dave, Rooselk and all the rest of us we can get him set up and hunting in no time. Washington has some great opportunities.

Bob Hickey

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ft. Lewis has some of the better bow hunting areas in western Washington right on base. All he needs to do is go to the adventure center take a class and pick up some maps of the fort. With his Wash. State license and tags he can hunt deer and bear without ever leaving the fort. If he is PCS to FT. Lewis he is considered a resident of Wash. under state law. Hope this info helps.:)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Broken X: Is the Nock Point in Mountlake Terrace? And if not, where are you located? I drive round trip from Mount Vernon to Seattle everyday and wouldn't mind stopping in. Do you carry any traditional equipment?

Kildog: I heartily agree with Broken X that your nephew should visit Northwest Archery. The Pope and Young museum is alone worth the trip. Glenn St. Charles, who is now in his nineties, is often in the store. Your nephew should definately take the opportunity to meet one of the true pioneers of modern archery. After all, it is largely through the past efforts of Glenn St. Charles that we have archery seasons for bowhunters today.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rooselk....Yes, we are in Mountlake Terrace and do have some traditional gear.

Going South on I-5, take the 220th St. Exit. Go East across the bridge to 56th St. and turn right. Heading South on 56th were on the right in the shopping center behind the gas station.

23204 - 57th Ave West
Mountlake Terrace
Washington, 98043

We hope to see you soon....Bob

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK to call !!

You bet, have him call when he gets settled. My son lives just east of Ft Lewis and is a member of the Tacoma Sportsmens. They have a large archery range plus all types of fire arms ranges and are very close to the Fort. The Fort used to have a large archery practice area on base but don't know if it still exists?

The others are correct about wildliife on base. It is quite abundant.

What is your nephews name so I'll recognize him when he calls?

Good hunting
Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kildog-
There are 2 great clubs nearby...I live about 12 miles from FT Lewis...Tacoma Sportsmans and Skookum Archers ( I am a member there)

The skookum club also has a great shop that has whatever he needs and good people to ask advice. 3 walk thru ranges and a flat range

Send me a PM and I would be happy to give directions and give your nephew some advice on areas and local stuff. Plus we could always use another member!

PastorBrian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts