Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted extensively in Alberta and Manitoba with mixed and varied results. For the very first time, I am hunting in upper N. Saskatchewan. What alot of guys don't know, is that Saskatchewan has more trophy bears on the books than any other province, including B.C. The camp where I am going boasts these numbers:

90% of all bears shot are Pope and Young. Out of 13 hunters last spring, 11 were trophy bears with 2 going Boone and Crockett (21" minimum).

50% of all bears shot in this camp are 20" minimum.

#2 worlds record black bear (muzzleloader) shot here.

All of this for 2750.00 (plus license).

Interested? Still slots available. PM me for additional info.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
I also booked with this outfitter...

Realy does sound to good to be true. A lot of big color bears are killed in this camp..

Cant wait to see it for myself.:thumbs_up

· Registered
6,587 Posts
I have hunted extensively in Alberta and Manitoba with mixed and varied results. For the very first time, I am hunting in upper N. Saskatchewan. What alot of guys don't know, is that Saskatchewan has more trophy bears on the books than any other province, including B.C. The camp where I am going boasts these numbers:

90% of all bears shot are Pope and Young. Out of 13 hunters last spring, 11 were trophy bears with 2 going Boone and Crockett (21" minimum).

50% of all bears shot in this camp are 20" minimum.

#2 worlds record black bear (muzzleloader) shot here.

All of this for 2750.00 (plus license).

Interested? Still slots available. PM me for additional info.
...wow... i thought you said "reasonable" i can go on a 5 day spot and stalk bear hunt in alaska fish, hunt, catch crabs..lol.....for less than 1500.00 including air fair, tags, and lodging.....:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,432 Posts
...wow... i thought you said "reasonable" i can go on a 5 day spot and stalk bear hunt in alaska fish, hunt, catch crabs..lol.....for less than 1500.00 including air fair, tags, and lodging.....:thumbs_up
My thoughts exactly.I have been to Saskatchewan 3 times deer hunting and have discussed bear hunting with the guides not the outfitter.They all say you can expect to get your bear but 20in bears are few and far between.All have told me the last 2-3 years have been sub par.Someones fooling you.If i dont personally know someone who has been on a hunt i dont go there. 90% record book kills come on guys dont believe that crap.$2500 is on the high side and with the economy like it is many outfitters cutting prices a bunch. As someone said "it sounds to good to be true'. it probably is.Hope im wrong and all of you kill a record bear.Let us know when you return.

· Registered
8,159 Posts
Why not just post the name of the outfitter? :noidea:

· Registered
4,223 Posts
I wouldn't want to say it is impossiblle, just not probable. The further north you get though the better the chances get. That's why I wondered a location. Reasonably settled locations...I'd bet not.......................but really remote?????????

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey sask, youlive up there .How many outfitters have 90% of their kills make record book?

The camp is called "lone wolf camp" on Carswell lake in upper northern Saskatchewan. Carswell lake is in a meteor crater area that is 50 miles south of Lake Athabasca. It is totally inaccessible unless you gain special permission to go through Cluff lake Uranium mine that is 20 miles south of Carswell lake. The only other means is by float plane out of Ft. Macmurray, Ab.

According to Richard P. Smith, the Author of "Hunting Black bears" 50% of the bears taken from this camp are 20" or better. Richard Smith is a columnist/ contributing writer for Bear Hunting Magazine. The single largest periodical on bear hunting in the world. Richard shot the #2 worlds record black bear (muzzle loader) at this camp and shot several others that exceeded 19"- 20", respectively.

I can understand all the criticism. I dont even pay attention to it. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars in pursuit of true trophy black bears. Most of my hunting has been in Alberta and Manitoba. Saskatchewan has more 20" plus bears in the record books (pope and young) then any other province (including B.C.).

To those of you that think that 2750.00 is expensive for a trophy black bear hunt...trust me there are hundreds of veteran bowhunters that know what these hunts cost. The average spring bear hunt in Alberta is 3,000-3,500 and in some cases an extra trophy fee once the bears are shot. You have to understand that there are guys out there that are passionately into bear hunting. Thanks for reading all this...sorry its so long. But, I do understand the critics...my wife says the same thing. She doesnt "get it."

· Registered
4,223 Posts
I think most people would be surprsied to know how far that is from actual people..and communities. I have to think that outside Alaska that there are not any states that would have a place so remote.

Sask..totally underrated for big bears...biased opinion obviously but itès the truth. Ièll support the 90% claim just based on the obvious.

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think most people would be surprsied to know how far that is from actual people..and communities. I have to think that outside Alaska that there are not any states that would have a place so remote.

Sask..totally underrated for big bears...biased opinion obviously but itès the truth. Ièll support the 90% claim just based on the obvious.

Thanks Saskguy....I dont know what it is about Saskatchewan that has remained overlooked. One reason might be that so much of it is virtually inaccesible without a float plane. The other side of that is...it makes for incredible and un touched wilderness.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.