Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what it is like out there. Looking at a job opp out there in Madison, I know WI is reknown for whitetail hunting.

Wondering how other things are around the Madison area...cost of living, traffic, any trout streams...and most of all...any close public hunting lands?

Fill me in! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Madison Wi

Greetings,

I live near Milwaukee not Madison though my mother lives on the other side of madison to me. There is plenty of great trout streams west of Madison. Good hunting too. Unfortunately that is also the area that is called the "eradication zone" because of CWD so the deer hunting is probably not at all what it used to be. However in Wisconsin there is ample public land and private land leased to the DNR for public hunting. You can drive just a couple of hours north and be in a huge forest. Madison is very liberal and a college town. There are sane people there too. Cost of living can be a bit higher than other parts of the state due to the college kids but if you have a place to stay food, gas, hunting gear is comperable to anywhere else in the state.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there,

I have lived in WI my whole life and in Madison for the past 8 years. Madison can be a great place to live if you can look past the wackos. It is a very liberal town and cost of living can be very high but most of the people you will meet are good, hard working folks. We have lots of opportunities for good hunting, fishing and camping. Traffic is not to major of an issue except on Football Saturday. Our rush hour is more like a rush 1/2 hour. As far as the CWD eradication zone, you can travel 2 hours north or west and be outside of it and in some prime hunting areas. I hunt near Viroqua which is 30 minutes south of Lacrosse and down near Fennimore. There's an old saying about Madison, "it is 280 square miles surrounded by reality", this is true in some regards but it is still a great place to live. Drop me a PM and I can email you some good info on the area and job situation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Forgefan

My mother works in Viroqua, at the Wally World photo lab. Good to see people from that side of the state. I have hunted the last 20 years in Crawford country during gun season. Great area. I do most of my Bow hunting on some private land over here on this side of the state. I live 5 minutes from the Northern Kettle Moraine Forest so that is my main bow hunting area. Wisconsin is a good state for bowhunters, plenty of shops and places to hunt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts