Archery Talk Forum banner

Anyone NOT using a stabilizer?

965 10
Anyone NOT using a stabilizer?
A few guys I know just never got around to getting a stabilizer for their bows and never really felt the need for one. I shot their bows (different types) and was able to hold just as steady and vibration didn't seem to be a problem.
So who's not using them? Why not?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Anti Fanboy
49,862 Posts
I have hunted without a stab before on bows that really didnt need a stab. I then went back to using one for the main reason it helps keep my sight out of the dirt when I lean my bow against a tree.
Some bows I've owned needed a stab to reduce noise, hand shock, and to balance the bow better as well.
I find it kind of comical at some of the stabs I see on some of these guys hunting bows.

· Registered
66 Posts
I don't hunt with one , the best use for me while hunting would be as above ,a prop . I use one for 3d shoots, and practice , when takeing multible shots , but for that one shot when your bent in half or twisting to get around 3 different limbs , I don't need the extra weight or added protrusion , the arrow is enough to deal with .

· Registered
Elite ritual 35, Elite impulse 34 , rip tko 300
171 Posts
I just shot a 3d course with a dude that didn't use one.... he had the wrist sling super tight and positioned his fingers infront of the bow grip... Guess it all depends on what works for you.

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
Most who say they don’t need or like a stabilizer haven’t used a true stabilizer. They’ve screwed something in the front of their bow to hold their wrist strap, but it wasn’t actually stabilizing.
shoot, who uses a wrist strap, that was so 1980's when a bow would jump a foot forward when shot? Now with parallel limbs if you are not hanging on, it will drop straight down when shot.

Last stab I used on a bow was my 2006 PSE Diablo, reason was it only weighed 3.4lbs, bows now days weigh at least a pound more then that with out even a peep. At 67 year old, I am still pretty steady out to 40 yards, and only shoot deer out to that far.

and yes you are correct, if the "stab" does not go past the limbs it is not stabilizing anything, more like a vibration dampner. Some brands of sights actually act as a stabilizer, when they stick weigh out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts