Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to like my C3 when I had the 29 inch mini max on it but now that I have lengthened my draw to 29 inches I am not liking the 29 inch mini max very much. I cannot hold it steady at all and the 65% max cam is even worse. I have been playing around with the 80% max cam. It feels a little sloppy with the BT release but boy oh boy it holds steady...

· Registered
3,037 Posts
I shoot 80% all day every day shooting BT..Good draw stops help.

· Registered
755 Posts
Two big causes (but not all possible causes) for not holding steady is two much draw weight and draw length too long. There are other issues like balance and cam timing to be considered.

80% letoff is not used by many target guys. 80% will prevent you from ever using back tension for release. 80% can reduce the holding weight so you unknowingly torque the riser.

Their are a few that use it for target - but are in the minority.

· Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two big causes (but not all possible causes) for not holding steady is two much draw weight and draw length too long. There are other issues like balance and cam timing to be considered.

80% letoff is not used by many target guys. 80% will prevent you from ever using back tension for release. 80% can reduce the holding weight so you unknowingly torque the riser.

Thanks and points well taken:) My draw length on both bows is the same but the 80% holds much steadier. The poundage on the 80% is the same as well. as far as my back tension goes I think I am concentrating and feeling it more now than I ever do with the 65%. Its almost like practicing BT with a very light poundage recurve. I think a draw stop would be a good idea as well .

· Registered
3,900 Posts
80% will prevent you from ever using back tension for release. 80% can reduce the holding weight so you unknowingly torque the riser.

I would have to say this is “Not True”. I know a lot of people that shoot 80% for target, and shoot very well. I think it's more of a personal preference. I personally shoot better with an 80% let off, and still shoot with back tension(I pre-Load about 1lb on my thumb trigger, then pull the rest with my back). It may make you work a little more, but you can do it.
I would have to say "Not True", about the archer causing torque to the riser. A good shooter will not torque the riser no matter the let off.

· Registered
3,900 Posts
I think that is a good thread but, he said that if you have learned to shoot Back Tension before switching to an 80% bow. It’s ok.

I believe that we have been told for a number of years that all target shooters are supposed to shoot 65% so all the new target archers go out and buy a 65% let-off bow. Then they get use to it and shoot it forever. But I still think that it’s a personal thing. You can shoot high scores with both and both have set national and world records.

It will not prevent you from shooting back tension, Never.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I think that is a good thread but, he said that if you have learned to shoot Back Tension before switching to an 80% bow. It’s ok.

I believe that we have been told for a number of years that all target shooters are supposed to shoot 65% so all the new target archers go out and buy a 65% let-off bow. Then they get use to it and shoot it forever. But I still think that it’s a personal thing. You can shoot high scores with both and both have set national and world records.

It will not prevent you from shooting back tension, Never.
+1 Good post!

Lien2

· Registered
19,079 Posts
I prefer 65% for everything from target to hunting because I like a little more holding weight at full draw, and a shorter valley. Back tension is a technique thou and it can be done properly regardless of the bows let-off %.

· Registered
166 Posts
80% let-off doesn't really make any difference for me. I shoot it all the time, even with a BT release and I'm pretty sure that I know how to use it properly. It doesn't really matter as long as everything feels good for the shooter.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
80% let-off doesn't really make any difference for me. I shoot it all the time, even with a BT release and I'm pretty sure that I know how to use it properly. It doesn't really matter as long as everything feels good for the shooter.
I see that you shoot a Scepter4 How did you get the 80% let off they only came with 65$ that I have found ranges from 60 to 69%?

· Registered
166 Posts
I see that you shoot a Scepter4 How did you get the 80% let off they only came with 65$ that I have found ranges from 60 to 69%?
I've checked my bow and my wife's (both Scepter 4) and they have a 80% let-off. Both bows were ordered the same time. That's what the sticker says. Otherwise, I do really like it the way it is and I don't see any problem (at least for me / wife) to have 80% let-off with a BT release.

· Registered
755 Posts
I've checked my bow and my wife's (both Scepter 4) and they have a 80% let-off. Both bows were ordered the same time. That's what the sticker says. Otherwise, I do really like it the way it is and I don't see any problem (at least for me / wife) to have 80% let-off with a BT release.
I know the scepter made 75% for a while back in 99, 01 or 02. But I didn't think they ever made 80. I have heard of some 80 be labeled incorrectly??

· Registered
166 Posts
Tried to call Martin Tech Support today to clarify whether it is really 80% let-off on our bows but nobody was there today. So it looks like I will know more next week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.