Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for first hand experience with the Option 4s and similar sights. I just came across them and they’re definitely an intriguing design. Are they overly bulky or heavy compared to other sliders? Currently running a BG Ascent Verdict and I’m not a fan of how the entire hood moves when sliding so I’m looking for 3 or 4 pin option where just the pin itself moves.

Thanks

·
I like elk!
18,517 Posts
Just received one yesterday.

Option 8 with 5 pins and the direct mount.
The sight is super nice.
10oz on my scale while my Fast Eddie is 14oz.

Haven’t even bolted it on yet, but I can tell it’s an absolute winner.
Precision everything, pins seem bright even though it’s cloudy today, super smooth operation, Relatively light weight, sight tapes go out to 130+ on the faster ones (which is awesome ) and the colored ring, bubble and extra fiber housing for the moving pin are all glow in the dark.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
My hunting buddy bought one to take on a elk trip this fall
It seems well built and so far he likes it

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just sold an Option 6. Definitely recommend getting the “s” pin upgrade. Weighed about the same as my Fast Eddie XL. Loved the site, just didn’t work for my set up. The Option 8s will get you more distance for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have an option 4 and absolutely love it. It’s around 9oz and tons lighter then my HHA kingpin. The option sights are in my opinion the best hunting sight available.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an Option 8. The weight is on par with most other higher end all metal housing. Pins are bright. I got a .10 mover that is a little dimmer than the .19 fixed pins but that is expected given the size difference. Once you get the correct tape setting all your fixed pins is a breeze. I like the fixed housing. The Option 8 has a large oval housing so I had to push the site out a bit to get it to fit my large hunting peep. The oval shape doesn’t affect lining it up.

Cons: The fixed pins are a little finicky when adjusting but most fixed pins are that aren’t micro adjustable. There are a lot of bolts to keep tight. The 2nd axis is controlled by tightening and loosening 4 bolts and can be finicky but works. Little pricey.

Overall love the sight. Very solid. Lifetime warranty. I was on the fence between fixed and single pin sight and this sight is the answer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a Option 6S. It’s awesome and to be honest I’ll never have another sight again. Gives you the best of both worlds. I would get the 8S. It will give you option for further distance. You can easily customize the pins when you get it to the sizes you want and the amount of pins as well. The housing is great and gives more room. You could get 4 pins in the 8 housing. That’s what I would do if I had to go back. You’ll be happy if you get one!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Option 6S. It’s awesome and to be honest I’ll never have another sight again. Gives you the best of both worlds. I would get the 8S. It will give you option for further distance. You can easily customize the pins when you get it to the sizes you want and the amount of pins as well. The housing is great and gives more room. You could get 4 pins in the 8 housing. That’s what I would do if I had to go back. You’ll be happy if you get one!

So you’re saying instead of 8 pins in the 8s, get less pins and take advantage of the longer housing for more travel? Where does your range tape stop on the 6s and what’s your bow speed?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just sold an Option 6. Definitely recommend getting the “s” pin upgrade. Weighed about the same as my Fast Eddie XL. Loved the site, just didn’t work for my set up. The Option 8s will get you more distance for sure.

What does the pin upgrade do for you?

·
I like elk!
18,517 Posts
I’ve read a few times that it’s tough to get past 80-90 with the 4 or 6 models.

The s upgrade is basically a little housing for the mover pin fiber which is a must because it greatly improves the brightness of that pin.

I was always a Spot Hogg guy, and the Option8s blows SH out of the water imo.
I too, will likely not own another sight(unless someone builds something better) but I believe this sight to be the pinnacle of hunting sights.

With less pins 8s model, you won’t get further distance abilities with less pins.
It’s simply to not have the clutter of 8 pins

Lastly, as I previously mentioned, the direct mount is about 10 Oz which is significantly lighter than most and the dovetail mount only ads an ounce or so...so that would be way lighter than say a FastEddie xl.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve read a few times that it’s tough to get past 80-90 with the 4 or 6 models.

The s upgrade is basically a little housing for the mover pin fiber which is a must because it greatly improves the brightness of that pin.

I was always a Spot Hogg guy, and the Option8s blows SH out of the water imo.
I too, will likely not own another sight(unless someone builds something better) but I believe this sight to be the pinnacle of hunting sights.

With less pins 8s model, you won’t get further distance abilities with less pins.
It’s simply to not have the clutter of 8 pins

Lastly, as I previously mentioned, the direct mount is about 10 Oz which is significantly lighter than most and the dovetail mount only ads an ounce or so...so that would be way lighter than say a FastEddie xl.
Thanks for the info. I used to shoot nothing but Spot Hogg fixes SDP sights. Went to my five pin Ascent Verdict to reduce clutter and still be able to practice out at long range. Sounds like these sights are my answer for everything considering that the single pin window allows me to do everything I want and I’ll still have the fixed pin window for those shorter shots when you jump deer and don’t always have time to range.

·
I like elk!
18,517 Posts
The other main reason I went to the O8 sight was I did not like having to adjust my anchor for long range practice when the sight housing drops.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other main reason I went to the O8 sight was I did not like having to adjust my anchor for long range practice when the sight housing drops.
Exactly my reason for going away from the Ascent. To me, adjusting anchor for long range shots is counter productive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So you’re saying instead of 8 pins in the 8s, get less pins and take advantage of the longer housing for more travel? Where does your range tape stop on the 6s and what’s your bow speed?
I just got a new bow and new arrow setup. Before I was getting like 260fps and could get to 80 maybe 100 I didn’t try though. Now I’ll be in a tape that will go to 140. Get the 8S and however many pins you want. Also the smaller pins i think they are .10 are awesome. You can also get .019 size pins. You can get the sizes you want and the colors you want for each pin. For example, my first pin is red at .019 size. All my pins after that are .010. The yellow is ok but it doesn’t seem to be as bright. I would stick to red and green. The ability to customize this sight is awesome. You can seriously set your pins up however you want ie red yellow green green whatever setup you want. They also make the quiverizer that is a quiver and a stabilizer. I want to get that but don’t know for sure if I’ll like it. I treestand Hunt a lot so I always take my quiver off. If I were out west I’d definitely get it. It would be awesome if they made the option so that you could easily remover the quiver part so you could just have the stab if you wanted. I’ll prob send him an email about that. Anyways sorry for getting off track. Get the 8S brother!!! I know you’ll be happy. If you don’t like it let me know and I’ll buy it off you. That’s how sure I am.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What does the pin upgrade do for you?
The pin upgrade comes with the site automatically when you get it now. The upgrade is for guys who had the sight prior to the upgrade. If you get a used one make sure it’s the newer one.

·
paddylad
280 Posts
I've been using the Option 4 for about 2 years now, just love the sight, very solid and well made, zero issues with it in all sorts of hunting conditions !

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
What are you guys doing to line up the oval housing with your peep? Or are you trying to center your pin in the peep ? I think I remember seeing Dan Evans say that’s what he does.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What are you guys doing to line up the oval housing with your peep? Or are you trying to center your pin in the peep ? I think I remember seeing Dan Evans say that’s what he does.
Ideally you want the housing centered in the peep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts