Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what your experience was with them. I just ordered 100 and am going to set up a few arrows with them. Going to test with expandable heads mostly, but may try an exodus or thorn crown with them as well. Thanks 馃憤

Registered
I fletched a couple arrows 3 fletch with heats with the ez fletch mini, I think I could get by with them, but I wouldn鈥檛. Get enough helical and you鈥檒l be ok, but I think 4 fletch with helical is the better option

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really want to do a 4 fletch, I shoot a wb. Did you shoot mechs or fixed? Thanks

Registered
been shooting heats pretty much exclusively for 4 or 5 years now.

3 fletch with a little bit of offset or helical is plenty for a modest 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 fixed blade.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
been shooting heats pretty much exclusively for 4 or 5 years now.

3 fletch with a little bit of offset or helical is plenty for a modest 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 fixed blade.
Thanks! I plan to fletch them 1 degree offset.

Registered
I shot them for 3D 2 years ago... They worked great both straight fletch and 1* offset.

I only switched because I found some Vantec's that matched the colors of my bow perfectly....

Reactions: TRUTH

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shot them for 3D 2 years ago... They worked great both straight fletch and 1* offset.

I only switched because I found some Vantec's that matched the colors of my bow perfectly....
Thanks for the feedback!

Registered
I shoot Heat vanes in 3 fletch using an Arizona Mini Max. I use Magnus Black Hornets and they fly great. I will add that my bow is only shooting around 240 fps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shoot Heat vanes in 3 fletch using an Arizona Mini Max. I use Magnus Black Hornets and they fly great. I will add that my bow is only shooting around 240 fps.
Thanks for the info. My bow shoots between 250-270 depending on the arrow I tune.

Registered
Beenbuseing heat vanes with magnus ser razor and stinger broadheads in 3 fletch from a Arizona mini fletch for a bunch if years.

Tuned bow/arrow setup and decent form and they will fly fine.

When I stated useing them. My bow/arrow combo was in the 270 fos range now it's in the 240 ish range with 551 grain arrows.

I dont have problems with them stabilizing fixed blade broadheads.

Registered
If I remember correctly they are a softer vane ? I used them , if I remember when I shot them through a 3D target they did Kringle up and did not return to original shape . Why I stopped using them .

Registered
If I remember correctly they are a softer vane ? I used them , if I remember when I shot them through a 3D target they did Kringle up and did not return to original shape . Why I stopped using them .
They are a stiff vane. Much stiffer than an AAE pro max or blazer. Can鈥檛 comment how they compare to TAC.

Registered
I have been using them for the 2 or 3 years I like them better then Blazers. I tried 4 fletch but didn't see any real advantage over 3 fletch. I'm shooting fixed blade Ram Cat heads with no problems. Hope that helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been using them for the 2 or 3 years I like them better then Blazers. I tried 4 fletch but didn't see any real advantage over 3 fletch. I'm shooting fixed blade Ram Cat heads with no problems. Hope that helps.
Heck yeah it does! Thank you!

Lift, Run, Shoot
Not for hunting! Tested them extensively and they do not work well with fixed heads, especially if you have any wind. They would probably work with expandables ONLY. And they might work with fixed heads using a 4 fletch setup (which largely defeats the purpose of going to them in the first place) but I didn鈥檛 test that setup. I personally think it would be irresponsible to hunt with them using fixed heads and a 3 fletch setup. Heck even the brand doesn鈥檛 recommend them for that purpose.

The Impartial Archer
Some people shoot BS well.....so what's your point? It depends on tuning and your form. There was even a guy on here shooting broad heads with no vanes.........! So of course they'll work but why are you wanting to do it..? That's the better question IMO.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some people shoot BS well.....so what's your point? It depends on tuning and your form. There was even a guy on here shooting broad heads with no vanes.........! So of course they'll work but why are you wanting to do it..? That's the better question IMO.
If that question is directed at me, I want to shoot a lower profile vane through my wb. I ordered 4 inch vanetec vmax online and the shop screwed up on inventory and offered to replace them with heat vanes. A bit added length and lower profile than the blazers I wanted to replace, I shoot mechanical heads and thought I'd ask if others have shot them in 3 fletch with good results.

Lift, Run, Shoot
FYI, I shoot bare shafts out to 40 yards when tuned (scary for most people). My bows are perfectly tuned with broadheads hitting with field points. And when I tested Heat's I fletched them with a pretty good helical (same as what I use for Blazers or others).

Again, if all you will ever use them for is expandables they will work but otherwise I would not recommend them for hunting (unless maybe in a 4 fletch setup)

Lift, Run, Shoot
If that question is directed at me, I want to shoot a lower profile vane through my wb. I ordered 4 inch vanetec vmax online and the shop screwed up on inventory and offered to replace them with heat vanes. A bit added length and lower profile than the blazers I wanted to replace, I shoot mechanical heads and thought I'd ask if others have shot them in 3 fletch with good results.
Yes, it was directed at you and it was a good question. If lower profile is your goal you risk stability unless going to a 4 fletch (and adding cost, effort and weight to the wrong end of the arrow). Profile is the #1 indicator of stability with fixed heads. The Heat vanes are simply too low of a profile to be appropriately effective for this purpose. The shape of Blazer vanes (whether you use Blazers, or Rapt-X or Bully etc.) is the best option on the market for stabilization. The Blazer vane has a profile that is 39% higher than the Heat vane which is really significant.

My recommendation for a lower profile 3 fletch that would probably work and is on the edge of acceptable is the AAE Max Stealth. The Blazer is only 14% higher on profile and the Max Stealth has a little more length. I've not tested myself but I've heard decent results from some others I trust. On the flip side, there have been many others (besides myself) who have objectively tested Heat vanes and reached the same conclusion I have. Simply not a good option.

If I were you I'd either get Max Stealth vanes and test them out or I'd dump the biscuit (I'm not even remotely a fan of them so I wouldn't be shooting a biscuit in the first place) and get a proper drop away so you can shoot the best vane options for hunting without being concerned about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts