Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Yes, it was directed at you and it was a good question. If lower profile is your goal you risk stability unless going to a 4 fletch (and adding cost, effort and weight to the wrong end of the arrow). Profile is the #1 indicator of stability with fixed heads. The Heat vanes are simply too low of a profile to be appropriately effective for this purpose. The shape of Blazer vanes (whether you use Blazers, or Rapt-X or Bully etc.) is the best option on the market for stabilization. The Blazer vane has a profile that is 39% higher than the Heat vane which is really significant.

My recommendation for a lower profile 3 fletch that would probably work and is on the edge of acceptable is the AAE Max Stealth. The Blazer is only 14% higher on profile and the Max Stealth has a little more length. I've not tested myself but I've heard decent results from some others I trust. On the flip side, there have been many others (besides myself) who have objectively tested Heat vanes and reached the same conclusion I have. Simply not a good option.

If I were you I'd either get Max Stealth vanes and test them out or I'd dump the biscuit (I'm not even remotely a fan of them so I wouldn't be shooting a biscuit in the first place) and get a proper drop away so you can shoot the best vane options for hunting without being concerned about it.
What's the saying? Opinions are like.. Oh yeah haha I've shot countless fall aways (I currently own 3) and wbs throughout the years and have found 0 difference in accuracy, and 1-2 fps difference through my chrono with blazers (which is irrelevant to me). I can shoot with extreme accuracy out to my max range of 40 yards with a wb shooting blazers. With all do respect, I'm not asking for advice on what anyone thinks is the best vane on the market, I ended up with a pack a heat vanes and was curious if anyone shot them in 3 fletch and was happy with the outcome, and so far there appears to be a few. I also stated that this will be with mechanical heads. With a 10 grain ring, my foc remains exactly the same with 3 four inch vanetec vmax vanes as it does with no ring and blazer vanes. My desire for a lower profile vane is a want, not a need. I just like to try out different set ups and have fun doing so. Honestly, I think I enjoyed shooting a lower profile 4 inch vane because it felt nostalgic. I'm having no wear, noise or accuracy issues with blazers
Rectangle Slope Carmine Art Twig
through a wb.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
14,141 Posts
What's the saying? Opinions are like.. Oh yeah haha I've shot countless fall aways (I currently own 3) and wbs throughout the years and have found 0 difference in accuracy, and 1-2 fps difference through my chrono with blazers (which is irrelevant to me). I can shoot with extreme accuracy out to my max range of 40 yards with a wb shooting blazers. With all do respect, I'm not asking for advice on what anyone thinks is the best vane on the market, I ended up with a pack a heat vanes and was curious if anyone shot them in 3 fletch and was happy with the outcome, and so far there appears to be a few. I also stated that this will be with mechanical heads. With a 10 grain ring, my foc remains exactly the same with 3 four inch vanetec vmax vanes as it does with no ring and blazer vanes. My desire for a lower profile vane is a want, not a need. I just like to try out different set ups and have fun doing so. Honestly, I think I enjoyed shooting a lower profile 4 inch vane because it felt nostalgic. I'm having no wear, noise or accuracy issues with blazers through a wb.
Oh, by all means shoot the Biscuit if you like. I was just offering another option to consider (and related opinion on the rest). I didn't know your background. Some shoot a biscuit because they shot one on a demo bow (the only good use for them IMO) and don't know any better. Clearly you've reached your own informed conclusion. Other than the factual performance deficit which is well documented but, as you point out, not that material I'm sure it's fine. I've never tested it and never well - view it as a cheap crappy rest - so I can't provide factual info. I personally don't want my fletching coming into contact with anything during the shot process but that's just me. I couldn't care less whether you keep shooting the rest though - choices.

And with all "due" respect, I wasn't telling you what I think is the "best" vane on the market. I was giving you a direct answer to your question based on actual experience and specific testing. And, in addition to stating you'd use mechanical heads, you also stated in your original post that you may try fixed blades including the Exodus. I've tested and killed with Exodus full blade heads. Exodus are great heads but the full are a bit sensitive to wind planing and pairing them with Heat vanes in a 3 fletch configuration would be foolish IMO.

Helpful to know your answer to the question. Sounds like just a desire to go lower profile and to try a different setup although it sounds like you "fell into" the Heat as opposed to seeking them out. I maintain my position that I don't think they are a good option if you are thinking about ever using fixed heads and would recommend the Max Stealth as an "experiment" instead. But hey, at the end of the day you can do what you want but you did come on here seeking opinions regarding the Heat vanes and I have a very informed one which I shared to try to be helpful.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh, by all means shoot the Biscuit if you like. I was just offering another option to consider (and related opinion on the rest). I didn't know your background. Some shoot a biscuit because they shot one on a demo bow (the only good use for them IMO) and don't know any better. Clearly you've reached your own informed conclusion. Other than the factual performance deficit which is well documented but, as you point out, not that material I'm sure it's fine. I've never tested it and never well - view it as a cheap crappy rest - so I can't provide factual info. I personally don't want my fletching coming into contact with anything during the shot process but that's just me. I couldn't care less whether you keep shooting the rest though - choices.

And with all "due" respect, I wasn't telling you what I think is the "best" vane on the market. I was giving you a direct answer to your question based on actual experience and specific testing. And, in addition to stating you'd use mechanical heads, you also stated in your original post that you may try fixed blades including the Exodus. I've tested and killed with Exodus full blade heads. Exodus are great heads but the full are a bit sensitive to wind planing and pairing them with Heat vanes in a 3 fletch configuration would be foolish IMO.

Helpful to know your answer to the question. Sounds like just a desire to go lower profile and to try a different setup although it sounds like you "fell into" the Heat as opposed to seeking them out. I maintain my position that I don't think they are a good option if you are thinking about ever using fixed heads and would recommend the Max Stealth as an "experiment" instead. But hey, at the end of the day you can do what you want but you did come on here seeking opinions regarding the Heat vanes and I have a very informed one which I shared to try to be helpful.

Have a good one!
Thank you so much for the dissertation on whether or not you were happy with your 3 fletch heat vanes 😂

·
The Impartial Archer
20,974 Posts
If that question is directed at me, I want to shoot a lower profile vane through my wb. I ordered 4 inch vanetec vmax online and the shop screwed up on inventory and offered to replace them with heat vanes. A bit added length and lower profile than the blazers I wanted to replace, I shoot mechanical heads and thought I'd ask if others have shot them in 3 fletch with good results.
It's directed towards anyone that wants to keep going to a smaller vane and then has to add a vane to make up the lost surface area. I just don't get it that's all. They make low profile vanes that aren't so short too. Seems to be a fad to see how small of a vane you can get by with.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's directed towards anyone that wants to keep going to a smaller vane and then has to add a vane to make up the lost surface area. I just don't get it that's all. They make low profile vanes that aren't so short too. Seems to be a fad to see how small of a vane you can get by with.
Yes, I own many of them. I was sent a pack of heat vanes from a shop and was curious if anyone has shot them in a 3 fletch and was happy. I personally want to shoot a lower profile vane for cable clearance and to see how they fly out of a wb out of curiosity. Shooting a standard profile 4 inch vane feels nostalgic for me, and I enjoy that as well.

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
I don't really want to do a 4 fletch, I shoot a wb. Did you shoot mechs or fixed? Thanks
i shoot fixed, but 4 fletch would be just fine with a WB as well, i think heats would be great with a WB

·
Registered
665 Posts
I’ve hunted with blazers every since they quit making 4” quick spins, I picked up a few heat vanes fletched them on my hunting arrows. They consistently grouped with the blazers out to 60 yds. I do hunt with Grim Reaper mechanicals.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I don't have a 4 fletch jig and have never considered doing a 4 fletch before. My plan is to stick with 3 fletch set ups 👍

·
Registered
Bear moment 65#, Elite Impulse 31 81.5#, Xpedition Xscape 80.5#, Hoyt turbo hawk rkt cams 75.5#
1,482 Posts
I'm lucky I guess. Been using Heats 3 fetch at 3° helical for a few years with qad exodus swept, Magnus hornets, stingers, and nap thunderheads with no issues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quick update. I got the heat vanes yesterday, fletched up 1 carnivore and 1 zombie slayer (zs is a stiffer spine/higher foc set up) arrows flew great with field points, rage expandable practice head and a slick trick 4 blades out to 30 yards. Until my fletchings came off, I used loctite gel. Any recommendation on good glue?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Quick update. I got the heat vanes yesterday, fletched up 1 carnivore and 1 zombie slayer (zs is a stiffer spine/higher foc set up) arrows flew great with field points, rage expandable practice head and a slick trick 4 blades out to 30 yards. Until my fletchings came off, I used loctite gel. Any recommendation on good glue?
The heats are pretty stiff, I've had issues with them sticking if I use a strong helical.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I like the heats for cable clearance. The stiff material should lend itself well to shooting through a biscuit.

The blanket statement that heats don’t work with a fixed head is misguided as not all are created equal. A modest size head going a reasonable speed should be no issue… QAD exodus, G5 Stryker, I currently shoot an iron will, etc… throw a big meat cleaver on the front and ya, you’ll need more vane.

speaking in absolutes shows a bias or ignorance.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I like the heats for cable clearance. The stiff material should lend itself well to shooting through a biscuit.

The blanket statement that heats don’t work with a fixed head is misguided as not all are created equal. A modest size head going a reasonable speed should be no issue… QAD exodus, G5 Stryker, I currently shoot an iron will, etc… throw a big meat cleaver on the front and ya, you’ll need more vane.

speaking in absolutes shows a bias or ignorance.
Well said.

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
The heats are pretty stiff, I've had issues with them sticking if I use a strong helical.
put pressure on them for 20-30 seconds when fletching, and they stick good. i use a bitz, and push the clamp down a little for a few seconds. that was advice i got before i fletched any, and it's been good advice

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
put pressure on them for 20-30 seconds when fletching, and they stick good. i use a bitz, and push the clamp down a little for a few seconds. that was advice i got before i fletched any, and it's been good advice
Thanks. I did that, but they pulled completely off the wrapped zombie slayers and 1 came off on the carnivores. I was using loc tite gel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I shoot the Vickory VAP arrows with a well tuned bow as I stated earlier I tried both 4 fletch and 3 fletch with Ram Cat broadheads and SO NO differences between them. I did lots of testing with them over the summer shooting BH's out to 60 and 70 yards. If you want to shoot 4 fletch go for it.... They didn't seem to have much POI difference always within a couple of inches of each other.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks. I did that, but they pulled completely off the wrapped zombie slayers and 1 came off on the carnivores. I was using loc tite gel.
Try cleaning the vane with rubbing alcohol and I use bsi (Bob Smith Industries) Maxi-Cure glue and you'll need a knife to cut off the vanes.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts