Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses a bow sling? If so which one do you use? Why do you use one? Are they practical?

Sitka’s new sling has really got my attention, I have never had a bow sling, I have always carried my bow by the string, I hear this puts more wear on the strings and actually isn’t good on the Bow......?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Don't know about a sling necessarily, but carrying the bow by the string won't do any harm to it or the bow. As long as you don't grab the d-loop or peep and knock something out of whack, the stress the bouncy-bouncy puts on the bow and string is a fraction of what it goes through when you shoot it. You might put some wear on the string where you hold on with your glove but that's about it.

I've done this quite a bit and as long as you don't snag anything on anything, it'll be fine.

lee.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Who uses a bow sling? If so which one do you use? Why do you use one? Are they practical?

Sitka’s new sling has really got my attention, I have never had a bow sling, I have always carried my bow by the string, I hear this puts more wear on the strings and actually isn’t good on the Bow......?
I’ve got one on the way. I’ll let you know shortly, when it shows up.

They don’t hold the bow by the string, they cover the cams, string and cables, and have removable sight and fletching covers on each end. They have a strap that wraps around the cams on the outside of the cover to hold it on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I plan on picking one up for one purpose. Up here when walking through the provincial parks to get to your zone your bow needs to be encased/secured. A bow sling will do just that.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,115 Posts
I have cheap Maximal bow sling and it has worked well.
I hunt Pheasants with my Englis Pointer's and I have time to get bow out from it when dog is pointing.
It's pretty quick to use and good to carry. Protect's cam's and strings.

https://archery.ixpesports.nl/contents/en-uk/p14031.html

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have a primos sling. Used it maybe 5-6 times in 10 yrs. Really need to use it more. Some of my hikes to stand are a WALK!
The sitka looks cool, but not for $80 msrp!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
The biggest problem I see with most bow slings is they take a lot of movement to get on and off, especially in front of a deer. The Third Hand Archery Ky bow sling is the only one I've ever seen that can be put on and take off with one hand. Once the hunter gets on stand the bow sling becomes our accessory belt to hang binoculars, rangefinder, quiver etc. $20 plus shipping.

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I like the look of the Sitka, I just thought on some of them long walk ins, most of my stands are pre hung but occasionally I carry in a climber, and 1 of my places on my lease is a long Long walk, thought maybe placing my bow in a good sling that covers things up may protect my investment a little more. I like the Sitka sling for the fact it has a sight cover as well!

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I use Bow Hook Sling where the hook is rubberized and hooks on the riser. I've used it on several 3D shoots and have really liked it. I even had to buy one for my wife after she commandeered mine when she saw I didn't have to carry my bow as we walked the 3D shoot course hauling my three young kids and their stuff.

Sorry I don't have a picture of my sling but below is a screenshot of their website.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I have used my primos bow sling on every hunt for the last 4-5 years,It is what i carry my bow with, climb into my stands...its on my back...when i use my climber i leave bow on ground on rope and haul it up...I think it's a great piece of equipment.I even attach my bow to my backpack in the sling if i need too...Grizz

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,122 Posts
The biggest problem I see with most bow slings is they take a lot of movement to get on and off, especially in front of a deer. The Third Hand Archery Ky bow sling is the only one I've ever seen that can be put on and take off with one hand. Once the hunter gets on stand the bow sling becomes our accessory belt to hang binoculars, rangefinder, quiver etc. $20 plus shipping.

This is my choice. I have used something like this for years and now have Jims product. I use it on my backpack waist strap.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
This is an old Carlton sling which is no longer available but could be made easily for a couple bucks. 1" webbing, 2 side lock buckles and a tri glide. Great sling, many years of use.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
DCA Custom Arrows
225 Posts
Has anyone tried Easton's Bow Slicker?

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Something to consider while walking to or from a stand. How often have you walked up on a deer during shooting light but didn't get a shot off because the bow wasn't in a ready position? The slings that cover both cams and the string do protect the bow well, but they take a lot of time and movement to get them on and off the string.
Those who have tried the Third Hand Kentucky Bow Carrier agree on this. It's the easiest to get to the bow carry position with one hand and the easiest to get in the shooting position with one hand.

It also does a great job holding the backpack and gear while in the tree. Others are usually put in a backpack or left on the ground.:secret:

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
I have used my primos bow sling on every hunt for the last 4-5 years,It is what i carry my bow with, climb into my stands...its on my back...when i use my climber i leave bow on ground on rope and haul it up...I think it's a great piece of equipment.I even attach my bow to my backpack in the sling if i need too...Grizz
Same here minus the climber. Really like the Primo's sling

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something to consider while walking to or from a stand. How often have you walked up on a deer during shooting light but didn't get a shot off because the bow wasn't in a ready position? The slings that cover both cams and the string do protect the bow well, but they take a lot of time and movement to get them on and off the string.
Those who have tried the Third Hand Kentucky Bow Carrier agree on this. It's the easiest to get to the bow carry position with one hand and the easiest to get in the shooting position with one hand.

It also does a great job holding the backpack and gear while in the tree. Others are usually put in a backpack or left on the ground.
I really like your sling, however I have never in my years of bow hunting walked up on a deer that I wanted to shoot with my bow and it now be in my hand, that is just me. I am looking for a sling that will not only fiction well as carrying my bow, but will protect my cams, cables and strings, my peep sight, and my sight. Something so when it is nasty out may keep it from getting that much worse. Something for when I am going through the thickets to keep a briar or something from snagging my peep it my sight pins,

Also allot more states are going to this deal where your Bow has to covered.

I do like your design and think that would be awesome sling if I shot 3D

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
Bottomland: Our sling may not be for you and that is o.k. as it is not for everybody. Carrying your bow with your fingers by the string, doesn't hurt the string at all. Before D loops, archers would grab the string with 1/3" wide metal caliper release and draw a 50 - 80lb draw weight bows hundreds of times before reserving the string.
Carrying a 5-7 pound bow by a 1 1/2" wide piece of rubber will not damage the serving either.
If you really don't expect to see a deer on the way to or from your hunting area and are concerned with protecting the bow, sight, cams, and string consider trying a soft case with a shoulder strap. That would protect the bow better than any sling including ours.:secret:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I've used a primos sling a ton over the past several years. although now i have a longer ATA bow and i'm not sure my primos sling will fit..need to test it. I like having my string/cables protected as i'm going through the woods and hauling into my stand; and it's very quick to remove.

·
Registered
20,651 Posts
I have a Primos sling and 2 Cabela's slings. I actually prefer the Cabela's sling because it covers the string/cables better without having to snap around them. I use them on basically every hunt and it's helped keep my hand free but also keep my string/cables looking better over time.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
I can use my primos sling on my 37" ata and then use it on my 30" ata.....Grizz

1 - 20 of 28 Posts