Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see arrows described as carbon composite. If not 100% carbon then what are the other materials that comprise these arrows? What are the cons with these arrows, are they easier to break, heavier, etc.? Are they always cheaper. I’m mostly referring to CX Terminator XP Selects that go for around $60.00 a dozen.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
All carbon arrows are composites. They're carbon fibers held together by an epoxy resin like medium. If the arrow was constructed of only carbon fibers by itself, it would just unravel.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
Coppertone's got it right . . . all "carbon" arrows are a composite of carbon fiber and epoxy resin, plus some other fibers like glass or kevlar in some cases.

I think the ad you are referring to was trying to claim that their arrows are all graphite fiber, while others have other kinds of fiber mixed in.

But they don't even have it technically correct, the fiber is "carbon" fiber, graphite is a misnomer that was very popular about 20 years ago before people new better, apparently that company still doesn't understand.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This helps understand but it's strange they even mention it's carbon composite. This gave me the impression that they were not 100% carbon and thus perhaps inferior. Why then are these CX Terminator XP Select shafts cheaper? MY guess is because they are heavier and the demand is just not there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.