Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is after 10-31 i would think that they will go for cheep. or free from people that have them on there front porch. i use apples and corn off the cob right now but if i can get something cheeper or for free i would like that. So my Q? is does anyone use pumkins for bait?

Dave

still waiting for my 2ed shot on a nice 6point that i missed four days into season.

·
Registered
749 Posts
We can't bait here in IL but I talked to a local pumpkin farmer a couple weekends ago. I asked it he had any trouble with deer and he said he looses at least a couple hundred $ every night. The state gave him a nuisance permit, and has shot 4, but prefers to just try to run them off and accept the losses. So the deer must like them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
worth a try

i could get like 4 or 5 good size pumkins put them out, if they are eaten cool. if not cool. guess i will try.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends on what ia around for the deer to eat. In winter after most of the acorns and such are gone, the deer on my places eat the pumpkins up. Now, when there is plenty of food, they will eat only my apples and corn. I do put them out and they nibble onthem but don't clean them out for a couple of weeks yet.

Greg

·
Registered
462 Posts
I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DEER EAT PUMPKIN. I HAVE SEEN MANY PEOPLE TRY AND GOOD OL CORN AND CARROTS WORK THE BEST AND SUGER BEATS WORK TOO!

·
Registered
311 Posts
A buddy of mine uses pumpkins and carrots...they definitely eat pumpkins--make no mistake. hahahaha..it looks like a halloween horror scene when you see what they do to them! hahaha....pretty unique watching them eat the carrots too...

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
If you are in an area that has lots of corn and soybeans the deer will not touch pumpkins. I personally have never seen or heard of deer eating pumpkins in my area.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The deer used to raid a pumpkin patch that I hunted near in NY every year. This place was actually an apple orchard, but the orchard was high fenced so the deer only had a couple of holes to get in / out. The pumpkin patch, on the other hand, was outside of the fence. Every night that thing would get hit! It looked like they poked a hole in the pumpkin with their hoof and then started eating from there. Pretty ingenious!

I've tried lugging pumpkins into the woods around here and they just rot away. Never seen one eaten that wasn't GROWN there.

... Crayfish

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Pumkin fields work great for dove hunts, but I have never seen or heard of deer eating them. Now that is not saying that they won't, I just have never seen it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.