1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hey mel, I have the Cabela's Rain Suede™ Packable Bibs and Parka. I've worn it in the early season and it's pretty light and easy to pack in.

The one downside, although I haven't really, REALLY tested it thoroughly, is the true waterproofness of the garment. I suspect the Rain Suede is highly water resistant, but can't handle being submerged for extended periods. I could be wrong there though.

When I wore it last, I was damp underneath after sitting in a ridiculous downpour for about 4 hours. It was early season (70s/80s), so I am not sure if I was just sweating underneath or it was starting to soak through.

But on the other hand, I wore it in the winter while tracking a deer through swamps in the rain and it held up nicely. I was dry, but it wasn't hours of pouring rain either.

But the bibs are excellent, and a must have IMO for rain gear. Water running down your back sucks. I do like the garment overall, its very comfortable, but a tad scratchy in quiet conditions (i.e. no wind, no rain), which is inherent of the rain suede material.

Just some food for thought if you are looking at other rain gear bibs. I'd say I am happy with the garment thus far, but not 100% confident on it's waterproofness. Of course, I should test it thoroughly before throwing doubt in the air, so take my feedback with a grain of salt! ;) Hopefully some others will chime in with their rain gear experiences.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I own a set and love them. I had them on for 3 straight hours in sideways world coming to end rainstorm. I was dry. If your not happy with them Cabeals will take it back with no questions asked.

The material is quiet enough for stalking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bought a pair earlier this year to take turkey hunting, wore them twice once in a torrential downpout and the other time in a "nice" all day spring drizzle. Could not be happier with a set of raingear for the price. Will scare you the first time you take them out of their little packs. When I unrolled them I thought there would be no way on earth they would pack into those small packs. Great raingear at a great price and very light and packable, take up minimal space in your pack. Mine fit in the small back pocket of a backpack very small.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vpier said:
Its quiet enough to spot and stalk.
REALLY! That is great. I just was checking out Cabela's website and they have a "Quiet Rainwear" section that didn't list this suit in there. Just got me thinking maybe they are too noisy? If these things are "saddle cloth/silent suede quiet" I am definately buying a set.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
REALLY! That is great. I just was checking out Cabela's website and they have a "Quiet Rainwear" section that didn't list this suit in there. Just got me thinking maybe they are too noisy? If these things are "saddle cloth/silent suede quiet" I am definately buying a set.
I should rephrase my statement. They are quiet enough to spot and stalk antelope, elk and muleys. Not sure if its quiet enough for whitetails. Elk aren't as nervous as whitetails.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
I put on a set of rainwear at Bass Pro (I think they were Browning brand) that looked IDENTICAL to these. I thought they were too noisy for whitetail hunting (even in a treestand). It's got alot to do with the shell material and wether is has any knap to it or not. I like how tiny those pack up though.... sweet.

I wound up getting Cabelas Rain Suede parka. I love it, it's very quiet. I haven't hunted in it yet, but I do like how it has a thin mesh liner on the inside.... helps the air circulate around you so you sweat ALOT less.

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Mel, I ordered the MT050 and had it for a short while. Awesome garment, but as you know a bit pricey. Noise factor wise, I found it to be comparable to the Rain Suede I have now, and it is a bit heavier than the Rain Suede.

Again, IMO still a scratchy exterior material but still a very high quality garment.

For me, the cost and function are what made me go with the Rain Suede over the MT050. Seemed to have the same "noise" factor, but the RS was lighter (which is what I was looking for) and cheaper (which is what everyone looks for :))

Worst case, you can return whatever you get. You may want to stop by a Cabela's to try them on, if you have one close, or just order both and return the one you don't want.

Good luck man! ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have some or at least something similar. I can't find a name on it. But it is Cabelas. Anyhow, it was about the same price and looks the same.

I spent a whole month in Alaska bear hunting with it. We had to go out on the ocean to get to our baits so you can imagian how wet that can be at times. Also have had it on several elk hunts. I really like it.

I think it is plenty quiet for a coated nylon fabric. I wouldn't hesitate to try a stalk in it. When it is raining there is all kinds of noise anyhow.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yep, that looks right. I think its worth a look. If I were in your shoes, I'd order both and return what I didn't like best! ;)

Everyone has their own preferences, but I'm a clothing fanatic. The only gripe I have with raingear is the noise factor in many of them. When it comes to whitetails, IMO you just can't afford that whisking noise, especially on quiet days or when the rain lets up.

The only materials I've found to be excellent in terms of noise are fleece and wool. Unfortunately, I do not know of a lightweight fleece or wool exterior and waterproof raingear system. I own the Cabela's Super Slam Elite Fleece which is waterproof but a cold weather system, and it is quite nice. Got that outfit last year after checking out the MT050 Extreme, the Rain/Snow Exchange, and a few other garments. The Elite Fleece was exactly what I was looking for in a waterproof fleece exterior garment. Now if I can only find a lightweight early season one that is equally quiet, I'd be in business! ;)

Something else worth noting, my definition of quiet may not align with anyone else's...so take my "noise factor" rants with a grain of salt as well. Either of those garments may be perfectly acceptable to many hunters, and under many conditions. I'm, simply put, fanatical about my gear.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am just as anal about noise. Wool and fleece are the only acceptable materials for me, but a rain suit is a necessity.

BowhunterNJ said:
Yep, that looks right. I think its worth a look. If I were in your shoes, I'd order both and return what I didn't like best! ;)

Everyone has their own preferences, but I'm a clothing fanatic. The only gripe I have with raingear is the noise factor in many of them. When it comes to whitetails, IMO you just can't afford that whisking noise, especially on quiet days or when the rain lets up.

The only materials I've found to be excellent in terms of noise are fleece and wool. Unfortunately, I do not know of a lightweight fleece or wool exterior and waterproof raingear system. I own the Cabela's Super Slam Elite Fleece which is waterproof but a cold weather system, and it is quite nice. Got that outfit last year after checking out the MT050 Extreme, the Rain/Snow Exchange, and a few other garments. The Elite Fleece was exactly what I was looking for in a waterproof fleece exterior garment. Now if I can only find a lightweight early season one that is equally quiet, I'd be in business! ;)

Something else worth noting, my definition of quiet may not align with anyone else's...so take my "noise factor" rants with a grain of salt as well. Either of those garments may be perfectly acceptable to many hunters, and under many conditions. I'm, simply put, fanatical about my gear.

·
Registered
567 Posts
bought that same set at the cabelas in PA on my way from virginia to Nh to moose hunt,gald i did it rained everyday i was there and the wind blew hard too and it worked like a charm,its cheap light and works.I would highly recomend it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, I tried on all three at the Cabelas in Hamburg PA, MT050, Rain Suede and Space Rain Ultra pack.

Between the MT050 and Rain Suede, go with the rain suede. You can't tell the difference. Garments are identical, except MT050 is 40% more $. I actually like the feel of rain suede better I think.

BUT . . . the Space Rain Ultra pack suit is AWESOME. I was sure I was going to buy something else(MT050 or Rain Suede), but this is a great suit. Pretty quiet and much more packable than the others, and breatheable with Dry Plus. I got bibs and the jacket.

·
Registered
36,059 Posts
yes I own both

rootdoc said:
Have you guys tried Rivers West??
I looked at the Cabelas stuff and thought this was far superior
www.riverswest.com

Check it out!
RIVERS WEST and Cabelas RAIN SUEDE, I love both outfits.

The rivers west is very warm, I would not wear it to my stand, I pack it. If it is cold I wear the RW if it is warm I wear the rain suede.

lately I have been wearing a light weight scentblocker outfit to my stand and once I am up I put the rivers west on top of it, 100% waterproof and very quiet and cozy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.