Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what kind of bows you're shooting and what kind of speed you're getting from your bow. I've been eyeing the Mathews Ovation the Bowtech Old Glory and Constitution. The bow that I finally chose will be used for hunting only. There's a lot of nice bows on the market but most don't offer a draw length past 30" for us long arm guys!!!
Thanks for any suggestions :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Some input for you

Previously, I shot the Hoyt ProTec and ProElite with 3000 limbs. Now, I am shooting the Apex. Ample A2A and brace height in both of them for our DL's. The speed from them in this DL in very good also. The cam 1/2 is a little slower than the Apex but, the spiral is faster.

These are the actual speeds I can attest to. The PE spiral shot a 395 gr arrow @ 285 set to 64#'s and the Apex will do the same @ 66#'s. I also have an Apex setup @ 61#'s with a 366 gr arrow shooting 285. I did lengthen the A2A on the PE 3/4" to obtain this result (lowering the BH=FPS). The speeds from the Ovation will be about 10 fps slower than the Apex.

I don't have any info with the Bowtech line, sorry. Hope this help's. :wink:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I shoot a 31" Old Glory, and love the bow. I get about 280fps (at 70#) with a 3-71 Acc and 100 grain tip. My arrows weigh 457 grains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shoot a 31" Old Glory, 260 fps, 61#, 432 grain arrow. I had an UltraTech a few years ago. IT shot okay. But you're right not much of a choice for us long armers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the Old Glory a smooth drawing and quiet bow? I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the OG...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
not sure exactly which bowtech it was but i watched a guy with a 31 inch draw shooting 80 pounds shoot through the chrono and get 307 fps today.

·
Registered
129 Posts
check out the darton maverick extreme. very quick , quiet and you can get it to your draw length.

·
Breathn
12,650 Posts
I shoot a hoyt vtec on 31" draw. I am shooting a carbon express cx400 at 74 ibs 304 fps. I love this setup, I shoot one pin all the way out to about 35 yards. Very flat shooting. Bow is super quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hoyt Protec, or Proelite XT3000 cam&1/2. 31 Draw 60lbs, 350 grain arrow 288fps (452X strings). You will deffinitly want the 3000 limbs, as the string angle on the 2000's at that draw lenght gets a little much (at least for me).

·
Registered
536 Posts
mathews ovation, 31 draw, 65#, 400 fatboys, speed 267.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
i have 2 ultratecs. one is [email protected] 31" spiral cam. 393 gr. arrow gets 273 fps. 56 pounds.

the other is my 3d bow. xt2000 @ 31" spiral cam. 302 gr. arrow gets 320 fps. 59 pounds. it's a hoot to shoot and a real tack driver.

:beer:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to the local archery shop and bought a Mathews Ovation last Tuseday. I look forward to getting my hands on it and seeing how well and fast it will shoot. I'm quite sure I'll be pleased... I also look forward to getting out into the woods with it come October.. :tongue:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shoot a Browning Xcellerator at 75lbs. w/ a 33" draw. My arrows are uncut 2514 XX75 weighing in at just under 800gr.. I am only getting 230fps, but alot of kanetic energy. But thinking about updating my equip. although Ill still have to shot thos heay freakin arrows. :confused:

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
why do you have to shoot such a heavy arrow? 33" draw is long but a carbon gold tip at that length with a 75/95 spine arrow wouldn't be anywhere near that heavy

·
Registered
19 Posts
they dont make carbons long enough or so ive been told. I dont want an over draw. plus that is a verry long spine and lighter arrows cant take it or so ive been told. i always apreciate suggestions

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
ok. Even without an overdraw using most dropaways you should be able to shoot 32" carbon which I know gold tip arrows go to. check out there website they have a build your own arrow section and a spine chart that goes to 100 lb draws.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,981 Posts
realcowboy

I killed my first deer with a Browning X-Cellerator 2000 :shade:

that x-cellerator with 32" Gold Tip Big Game 100's with 100 grain broadhead would spine good for ya....

heck, a 125 grain broadhead would still do and put you over 500 grains

let me know if you need some more help.....JB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts