Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my Allegiance into the shop after it locked up at full draw and would not let down. Yes, Draw stop was in the bow but it was like I had 100% let off all of a sudden. Wouldn't let down until I attepted to get it into the press then it went off. I had shot about 10 arrows already and then #11 locked up????
It looks like there is no damage to the limbs. Cams got a little tweeked. The shop I took it to called Bowtech and they are going to fix it under warranty. Looks like one of the Brass pegs that holds the main string broke off??
The shop is cool and will break down an in stock Allegaince to get me all back together tomorrow as CA opener is next weekend in this area. Only bummer was I just had a new set of strings and Cables from Crackers put on and shot in. They are in shreds now.

FYI,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You said"Looks like one of the Brass pegs that holds the main string broke off??"

Is this the reason it locked up or did this happen when it went off?

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Yeah, it did happen to someone here on AT .....I wont mention his name but if he volunteers, you'll know about it. :)

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Ouch!!!

Which shop jduck???

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
????

I can't tell you why as from the back side of the bow trying to hold full draw it was very difficult to see what was happening with the cams. As I tried to put it onto the press I still could not see why. At first I thought the draw stop worked loose and fell out. I looked up and saw it was still there. Like I said all was fine until that draw back???????

"IKE"
Took it into Robert at Sierra Mountain Archery in Orangvale. Just got a message on the machine that said the limb(s) were cracked and a cam bent. His voice didn't sound too good when he said to give him a call back. I am hoping Bowtech is not going to back out covering this one.

Jeff

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Sierra Mtn Archery!!!

Jeff, I think you'll be alright.......Roberts' a good guy and I've seen BowTech come through more than once!

I was in today, surprised he didn't say anything....LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Jerry/NJ said:
Yeah, it did happen to someone here on AT .....I wont mention his name but if he volunteers, you'll know about it. :)
Not sure as to how this could have happened jduck. Either your cams were grossly out of sync or your drawstop peg was missing/ or fell out. I don't think the factory string/cables would stretch so much as to allow this to happen. I also don't think that the mis-alligned cams would make it past the factory or the dealer. Sorry if this doesn't make sense I just got done from demolishing a mountain of Hamms (land of sky blue waters) Anywho, I am the guy that locked up his allegiance, the bow recovered and shoots awesome. Good luck wiyth your bow man.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
addendum

Jduck I just noticed your bow has been crackerized, which adds to the mystery of why it locked up on you. To my understanding, M Carter is a helluva a bow tuner, so there is no way your bow could be so out of tune that it would lock up. Man I don't have a clue as to why this happened to your bow. Bummer man. Could have been some kind of catastrophuic failure ? hell I dont know, just kind of worries?puzzles me as o how this could happen to a well tuned bow?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crackerized

Yes the bow was Crackerized. I had a Windstalker on it with the set of Crackers cables and strings. Was shooting great until the WS started cutting my cables. I guess there are a few Windstalkers out there that had an old style cable guide that they did have problems with cable cutting. Mike "Crackers" sent me a brand new set of cables and a string. Tod at WS sent me a brand new WS. I marked my Cams as Mike had them set up to duplicate the same position when the new string set was put on. Set my ATA to specs, set my BH to specs, and then lined up my cam marks. Mike pre set the string set and I only had to +/- a couple twists on each cable to get the marks to line up.
I then shot the bow over the past couple weeks with no problems. No string stretch as my peep realined perfect each time. I hit a couple hundered shots and then started my tuning. Quick paper tune last night and then headed out this AM to walk back. Shot #11 it locked up???????

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
fultontx said:
Anywho, I am the guy that locked up his allegiance, the bow recovered and shoots awesome. Good luck wiyth your bow man.
If I may ask,why did your bow lockup and how did you get it to return to normal?

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
fultontx said:
Jduck I just noticed your bow has been crackerized, which adds to the mystery of why it locked up on you. To my understanding, M Carter is a helluva a bow tuner, so there is no way your bow could be so out of tune that it would lock up. Man I don't have a clue as to why this happened to your bow. Bummer man. Could have been some kind of catastrophuic failure ? hell I dont know, just kind of worries?puzzles me as o how this could happen to a well tuned bow?
Nope wasnt you but thanx for replying :wink:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Dosen't this make you guys a little leary of the binary cam system?

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Huh!?!?

Top Cat said:
Thanks for the reply. Dosen't this make you guys a little leary of the binary cam system?
Not really, but then again I did hang onto my Hoyt!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed

Bowtech and Sierra Mountain Archery came through. Ike you were right. I called Rob today and he said come pick up your bow. He called Bowtech they covered all but a string set. He was able to break down another bow and it is all ready to go.
I have to also give a big thanks to Grouse. He was going to overnight an extra set of limbs to use until my new ones came in. Talk about archers helping archers! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Outstanding!!!

That's great Jeff, good luck this weekend................

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had a WS and took it off my Allegiance cuz I thought it was "pulling back" too much on the cables.

Just a thought but if your WS pull out of the cable rod mount due to a loose set screw etc. maybe enough slack in the cables on the draw could have allowed the cams to over rotate.

I noticed putting twists in mine that it almost got to the point of 100% let off before I got the cams back to normal.
Kinda scary though

Insatiable

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ws

I did not have a windstalker on the bow when this happened. Thinking back on it still to figure it out I can just remember the last couple shots the draw # seemed a little lite and the bow had the feel of extra let off. I did not feel a slip or hear anything diffrent?????? Who knows. Just ready to pick it up now and get it tuned up.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
it only takes a few turns in the cable to lock up one with the longer draws 29/30. i said months ago they were like a mouse trap when locked up . sometimes all you have to do is touch or tap the upper cam when locked and it will go off.if the pegs out it locks solid .

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Damn you Jerry....

YES YES YES..... it happened to me. In fact it was about three weeks ago. I actually didn't draw it, it was the tech in the shop.

It was cause by screwing up the twists in the cables. If you don't know what you are doing and start screwing around with adding twists and taking them out, this will happen, regardless of the draw stop! :eek:

Bowtech was totally cool about it and fixed my bow under warranty. I went through three sets of string/cables during that incident. She's shooting great (and fast) now though! :beer:

My bow "fired" when we got her in the press too. Shot the damn plastic loop thingy (tech was using a digital drawweight scale) into the back of my hand... OUCH!!!!

-ZA206

Jerry/NJ said:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts