Archery Talk Forum banner
2021 - 2040 of 2424 Posts

· Registered
15,946 Posts
Is that a tiny elk? All of the pictures that are generally posted are of racks that are bigger than the shooter. Also, what's your max range for slugs?
Haha, yeah, it’s spike roosie. I’m not much of a slug guy, I’m not sure on the limits they can be pushed to, but I know they are effective on elk to a little over 100yds, I just don’t know how much past that before they lose steam.

the few I have watched killed with slugs were all pretty close, 75 and in. They don’t have the authority of a rifle round, even a 6.5creed or 7-08 will have a lot more impact, slugs seem to act more like a mix between a rifle and arrow as far as how they kill… you don’t see the impact with a slug, and it doesn’t daze them like a rifle round, kinda weird, but that’s been my experience of 7 or 8 I have seen killed with slugs

if it wasn’t for weapon restrictions around me in places, I wouldn’t choose one for elk killing, but we found some elk in a shotgun only area, so that’s what she used

· Read Only
302 Posts
Haha, yeah, it’s spike roosie. I’m not much of a slug guy, I’m not sure on the limits they can be pushed to, but I know they are effective on elk to a little over 100yds, I just don’t know how much past that before they lose steam.

the few I have watched killed with slugs were all pretty close, 75 and in. They don’t have the authority of a rifle round, even a 6.5creed or 7-08 will have a lot more impact, slugs seem to act more like a mix between a rifle and arrow as far as how they kill… you don’t see the impact with a slug, and it doesn’t daze them like a rifle round, kinda weird, but that’s been my experience of 7 or 8 I have seen killed with slugs

if it wasn’t for weapon restrictions around me in places, I wouldn’t choose one for elk killing, but we found some elk in a shotgun only area, so that’s what she used
Although i’ve only shot one deer with a slug, i have to agree on your distance estimation. I shot this small body buck at 70 yards. 12ga slug. The slug was stuck under the skin on the opposite side. No heavy bone hit. Just a couple ribs. Congratulations by the way! 🙂
Plant Deer Natural material Elk Fawn

· Read Only
302 Posts
Well folks shot that little 4x1 yesterday on public. Went back this evening and got this guy in the same spot. Shot him 10 feet from the gut pile. I was about 70 yards from the other tree from yesterday. I’ll have more photos and story later or tomorrow. No buck “tags” left in Georgia. Not complete without a treestand selfie. Not long before they came in. Lucky flannel a buddy gave me years ago. I’ve taken 3 bucks from this spot while wearing it.
Trophy hunting Elk Hunting Deer hunting Deer
Sky Leaf Flash photography Sunlight Wood

· Site Administrator
28,444 Posts
Well folks shot that little 4x1 yesterday on public. Went back this evening and got this guy in the same spot. Shot him 10 feet from the gut pile. I was about 70 yards from the other tree from yesterday. I’ll have more photos and story later or tomorrow. No buck “tags” left in Georgia. Not complete without a treestand selfie. Not long before they came in. Lucky flannel a buddy gave me years ago. I’ve taken 3 bucks from this spot while wearing it. View attachment 7742362 View attachment 7742375
Congrats, that beast has a huge neck!

· Registered
4,199 Posts
Well folks shot that little 4x1 yesterday on public. Went back this evening and got this guy in the same spot. Shot him 10 feet from the gut pile. I was about 70 yards from the other tree from yesterday. I’ll have more photos and story later or tomorrow. No buck “tags” left in Georgia. Not complete without a treestand selfie. Not long before they came in. Lucky flannel a buddy gave me years ago. I’ve taken 3 bucks from this spot while wearing it. View attachment 7742362 View attachment 7742375
I would hit the like button, except one thing..... never ever under any circumstances like another dudes "selfie"

Man code dictates that. It also dictates no selfies. You get a pass this time but you are warned sir 🤣

· Read Only
302 Posts
Congrats, that beast has a huge neck!
Yes! He didn’t skip neck day. Haha one of the heavier bucks i’ve shot in a few years. He just whooped another buck about 2 minutes before i shot him.

I would hit the like button, except one thing..... never ever under any circumstances like another dudes "selfie"

Man code dictates that. It also dictates no selfies. You get a pass this time but you are warned sir 🤣
hahahaha oh man, i heart my buddies selfies and comment “slay, king”. 🤣 thank you!

2021 - 2040 of 2424 Posts