Archery Talk Forum banner

anything wrong with this climber?

1358 23
found this climber for pretty cheap on SG and wondered if there is some flaws to it or something for that cheap? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=355982
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12,018 Posts
It's cheap because it's steel, and 28 lbs.

Looks decent, as long as you're not packing it in a mile up hill. ;)

A 28 lb stand will start to get heavy on your back after about 1/4 mile.

· Registered
28,629 Posts

Looks decent, as long as you're not packing it in a mile up hill.

X3

· Registered
12,018 Posts

X2

X3
Look fellas... I didn't come here for an argument, and I don't care if you disagree. I know I'm right, and nothing you say will change my mind.

:p

· Registered
120 Posts

I would say if you can't pack a 28 pound stand a mile uphill you need to hit the weights more! I have an API Aluma Tech magnum that weighs 41lbs and I can pack it a mile with no problems!! just my .02!

· Find the arrow, dumb dog.
1,282 Posts
?

If i can get a nice, safe, stand that weighs 20lbs, why would i WANT to pack 41 lbs? I soloed in the smokies for a week with less that 50 lbs.

As for hitting the weights, we all should do that a little more before season starts. if for no other reason than camo is too expensive to "outgrow" at 42 years old.

best of luck,

Ted

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Heavy...

I too think we should be ABLE to pack a 28 pound stand around. But should we CHOOSE to...not when you can get a much lighter stand for a few more bucks.

I own a Gorilla climber (Wolverine) which weighs I think 21 pounds and I got mine on sale for $99.00. I'd stay away from this one...your back will thank you.

· Registered
120 Posts
If i can get a nice, safe, stand that weighs 20lbs, why would i WANT to pack 41 lbs? I soloed in the smokies for a week with less that 50 lbs.

As for hitting the weights, we all should do that a little more before season starts. if for no other reason than camo is too expensive to "outgrow" at 42 years old.

best of luck,

Ted
Well unfortunately those nice lite stands that only weigh 20lbs wont handle me at 6'2" and 350lbs! So therefore to have room and get comfy and feel safe I have to pack around a hunting cabin on my back!

· Registered
4,458 Posts
ttt

We thought about maybe getting one of those too. We thought it might be nice to have a climber lying around just in case. Even thought I had one for about 5 years and used it like 3 times. But for that price we figured it couldn't hurt.

· Registered
600 Posts
carring 28lbs isn't much when your dragging out 190 lb deer that same distances to your truck.. maybe stands are lighter if we drag them.. he he...

personally I don't notice weight so much on my back as I do if the packs not firm to my back and such,As the kidneys,lower back and hips Can't take that banging back and forth each step closer to the tree of choice...

I Found one of them old Aluminum Campers Pack frame works wonders to carting stands and heavy odd shaped gear on.. as the straps on the frame hold it firm to the shoulders, and the waist strap draws it all in firm so it's not banging you each step...

Normally threw out the years I had found them at Yardsale for $2.00-$5.00 each....

my two loc on stands I Just placed in trees yesturday gotta weight atless all of 30-40 lbs each.......

· Registered
12,018 Posts
I would say if you can't pack a 28 pound stand a mile uphill you need to hit the weights more! I have an API Aluma Tech magnum that weighs 41lbs and I can pack it a mile with no problems!! just my .02!
Who said "can't"?

My first climber was a Cabela's Cable Elite which weighed 32 lbs, and I hunted the Appalachian Mountains with it for years. Given a choice between packing that in, or my 18 lb Summit it's a no brainer.

If you can pack that 41 lb stand, and a day's worth of gear up the side of some of the mountains I've hunted without breaking a sweat then you should probably be playing pro football.:wink:

· Registered
2,477 Posts
a 28 pound stand is heavy...I used to have one. of course I could walk a long ways with it, but the problem is sweating. When it's really cold out, you sweat your ba**s off packing that thing around. then when you set up, you freeze. that and you really stink up the place.

a heavy stand will work fine, just not advisable to pack it all over the place. ;)

· Registered
890 Posts
heavy

My first stand was an Oak Tree climber. Must've weighed 35-40 lbs. After a half mile, I would be sweating so bad all my scent free preparations went down the toilet. Then got an API GS Lite, that weighed 16#. Still using it 10 years later. When hauling long distances, weight is everything. If you think long term, paying a little more for a stand that will last many years and be safe and comfortable is the ticket. I liked my API so much i bought a 2nd one on E-bay to replace this one when it wears out, or to let my friends/kids use. The Oak Tree is rusting in the woods somewhere, left around a tree where its weight is not a problem.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
?

Looks good to me. If I am packing a load in, I dress for the task. Outer layers packed into the backpack and put on after the work is done. :jam:

· Registered
4,229 Posts
Damn right; you should just quit hunting altogether.

I don't care how old you are; whether or not you are slightly disabled, a woman, or a child; if you can't pack in a heavy stand, you really shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Light weight aluminum stands are for sissies. Hit the weights you girlieman.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
I too think we should be ABLE to pack a 28 pound stand around. But should we CHOOSE to...not when you can get a much lighter stand for a few more bucks.

I own a Gorilla climber (Wolverine) which weighs I think 21 pounds and I got mine on sale for $99.00. I'd stay away from this one...your back will thank you.

Wont be long and there will be a poll "Should it be against the law to pack more than a 15# stand out into the woods"? Ya know...guys could get hurt.:zip:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.