Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think this might have been posted but I can't find it...
So I'm thinking about getting one of these because I need all the speed I can get with a 27" draw.
So what's the real world speed with a shorter draw and about a 450 grain arrow?
Anyone know?
Why can't bow makers just say this instead of cranking the bow to the max draw weight/length and shooting a bare shaft?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I cant answer your question but I would ask why your looking at this bow?.

It is an expensive bow!
It is no faster than a Bowtech BK2
A BK2 can be had in the 300 - 400. range now-a-days

My suggestion would be to get the BK2 and use the $500.+ to improve on it. :wink:

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The I.B.O. gives a standard set of conditions so there is SOME amount of meaning to manufacturer speed ratings.

If you are at a 27" draw you will be able to take advantage of a short brace height bow. I cannot possibly HUNT with a bow like that. I have a 29" draw.

You probably can. If you look at bows with a BH around 6-7" You will find faster bows than if you look at published I.B.O. speeds. The APA Mamba would be a fast one.

You can also find a USED Black Max or Black Knight on a fairly regular basis in the FS section on this site. Probably being sold by guys that have welts on their arms.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Apa

The Black Mamba set @ 70lbs 30" with a 350 grain arrow shot 334 fps -w/Oehler M35 Chrono- avg over 6 shot seq.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Try a black knight 2

Try a black knight 2 . I got a deal on mine, and love it. it is a 2002 with the long brace height. it shot 320fps at 29" with a 36gr, arrow and 70lbs. that was just to test it first i let it off to about 63-65 lbs and at 28" (better form shooting down from a stand) and upped my arrow to 430gr. it still shoots 285-290. what more do you really want. and i saved about $700. they go cheap on ebay some people can't handle the short brace.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am getting 315 fps with a 430 gr. arrow at 70 lbs, and 31 inch draw.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL... yeah forgot to ask about the price tag on it:embara: How bad is it?
Yeah I really like Bowtech... never knew they made a speed bow other than the Alligiance...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ajoo8

I was considering a Mamba and also the APA Suphan that is designed for short draw shooters like me. I ended up talking to a guy on AT here that goes by JNISZCZAK. He owned a Suphan and really loved it. I think he said he was getting around 290 with his. Anyway, he also happened to mention that he also shot a Black Mamba and that his Suphan was actually faster than the Mamba. I think the Mamba speeds are somewhat inflated.

You might consider getting a Bowtech Declaration from Crackers. I just bought one and it is a screamer and very accurate. I have a 27 inch draw and at 70 pounds the 40 inch axle to axle Declaration made by crackers it whipping 396 grain arrows out at 296! The holds very steady with the longer axle to axle length. The price of this bow was $750 with Crackers strings on it and his "magic dust" sprinkled all over it. He can get you one pretty quickly (or at least he was albe to for me).

You might also consider the Mathews Prestige. He is apparently a very very good short draw bow that is fast and shoots extremely well.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide on!

Dan

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Bowtech BK 2 is an awesome bow capable of excellent speed. However the Black Mamba Exterme is every bit as fast and it has a 6 and 5/8s brace height. I believe (correct me guys if I am wrong please) the BK 2 has a brace height below 6. This factor alone is enough for me to choose the APA rather than the Bowtech.

I have also shot the Suphan quite a bit and I think it is a better bow for me than the Mamba. I just seem to shoot better with a single cam. Maybe it is all in my head!!:confused:

·
Registered
28,188 Posts
AJ008 said:
LOL... yeah forgot to ask about the price tag on it:embara: How bad is it?
Yeah I really like Bowtech... never knew they made a speed bow other than the Alligiance...
My dealer is thinking about picking them up and the retail is either $725 or $750.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
if it's a fast single cam you want. I would take a hard look at a used bowtech extreme. the IBO is over 330 and it's the arguably the most shootable speed bow ever made.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check out the Hoyt Turbotec as well. I shoot one and it might be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was considering a Mamba and also the APA Suphan that is designed for short draw shooters like me. I ended up talking to a guy on AT here that goes by JNISZCZAK. He owned a Suphan and really loved it. I think he said he was getting around 290 with his. Anyway, he also happened to mention that he also shot a Black Mamba and that his Suphan was actually faster than the Mamba. I think the Mamba speeds are somewhat inflated.

You might consider getting a Bowtech Declaration from Crackers. I just bought one and it is a screamer and very accurate. I have a 27 inch draw and at 70 pounds the 40 inch axle to axle Declaration made by crackers it whipping 396 grain arrows out at 296! The holds very steady with the longer axle to axle length. The price of this bow was $750 with Crackers strings on it and his "magic dust" sprinkled all over it. He can get you one pretty quickly (or at least he was albe to for me).

You might also consider the Mathews Prestige. He is apparently a very very good short draw bow that is fast and shoots extremely well.

Dan

"Crackers"?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here are some real world specs from my new Black Mamba X-2.
I just shot it thru our chrono using my lite speed hunting arrow. fletched, wrapped, 28" long with a 100 grain tip. 335grs at 28" draw, 65lbs.

309fps

·
Registered
14,403 Posts

Dan

Dan, can you post a pic of your Declaration? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts