Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey man, I've found the PERFECT cure for API chains. Go to Wally World and get a quart of Dupli-Color truck bed coating. it's about 15$. Spray or paint this stuff on, but make sure you put some big nails through where the holes should be. It holds up GREAT.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Or....

A buddy of mine was talking about this problem with the chain wrap on API's over the weekend at bow camp since his is falling off his API climber....He said that a few guys he worked with that have API climbers have been useing the rubber coating stuff that you can buy to rubber coat the handles on tools.....They told him that it holds up alot better than the wrap that API uses on them....I helped another buddy replace the wraps on his API last year and it was a pain in the butt........Glad I sold mine and bought an Ol' Man Multi Vision before I had to worry with it....

·
Custom callmaker
3,483 Posts
I used black electical tape and wrapped them 2. Working great so far with minimal wear. And the best thing is that its a snap to replace.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Big Al said:
Hey man, I've found the PERFECT cure for API chains. Go to Wally World and get a quart of Dupli-Color truck bed coating. it's about 15$. Spray or paint this stuff on, but make sure you put some big nails through where the holes should be. It holds up GREAT.
Would this stuff work on my Summit climber? The cables wear off the coating and make some noise against the metal when sliding them in and out. Could I spray this stuff on the metal part of the stand to quiet it?

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
Wrapping chain

I have Camo duck tape on mine .It's ben on there for 5 seasons now and still looks good.It even lets the chain bend down ,when you are packing it .With the shrink tube it stands up,and get cought on everything. I tape the hole chain then just punch holes in every other slot, about 10 on each side .It works for me. Good luck hunting.:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I just put some heat shrink over the cracks on the original covering, 2 pieces on each chain. So far so good... I was wondering how tool dip would be on these things, maybe I'll give it a try next time the tubes wear out.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I tried the clear tubing and couldn't get it on the chain. So I slit it and taped it on w' duct tape. Works fine.

I like the paint on bed liner idea. Maybe when I need to do something next.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up using the 5/8" I.D. clear vinyl tubing. I ran some parachute cord through the tubing, then coiled it up and put in boiling water for a few minutes. When it was nice and soft, I tied one end of the string to the bumper of my GMC and the other end to the chain. Then, with gloves on, I pulled the tubing over the chain and let it cool down. Then I drilled 7/16" holes in the tubing for the cross pins. Works great!! Oh yeah.....my dad has an older API Bowhunter w/ plastic bushings in it. Had to take them out 'cause the chain won't fit in it with the tubing over it. The new APIs don't have the bushings because of the same reason.

j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts