Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to upload a photo of how I fixed the chains on my API stand. Works great and seems like it will last forever. I think it is bilge hose. I purchased it at a local hrdware store.

I used a clear rubber hose that fit tightly over the chain. I tied a wire to one end of the chain and ran the other end of the wire through the hose and tied it to a tree. I then pulled the hose over the chain. Once the hose was completely over the chain I drilled holes in the hose for the pins to slide through. Problem solved forever!

No luck inserting photo yet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
011at.jpg
i am trying to upload a photo of how i fixed the chains on my api stand. Works great and seems like it will last forever. I think it is bilge hose. I purchased it at a local hrdware store.

I used a clear rubber hose that fit tightly over the chain. I tied a wire to one end of the chain and ran the other end of the wire through the hose and tied it to a tree. I then pulled the hose over the chain. Once the hose was completely over the chain i drilled holes in the hose for the pins to slide through. Problem solved forever!

No luck inserting photo yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good post. I need to put something new on mine. I was planning to just replace with new heat-shrink tubing, and burn the pin holes with a hot bolt. But I may try the hose instead....Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I did this to mine a few years ago
What a pain to get over the chain. But it has lasted for several seasons. It has cracked in a few spots and I think I may need to replace it soon.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The newer chains and the protective coating on them seem to be much thicker and more durable than the older ones. The older ones seemed to just have shrink tubing. You could buy a new style set of chains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a grandslam outback model and love it just replaced the skrink tubing ,the orignal lasted for years! has anyone ever had an outback ?i have been looking 4 another one evreywere.sorry 4 hi jacking!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I both a new chan a couple of years ago with the clear new heat-shrink tubing and it works a lot better than the old black shrink tubing. The old black shrink tubing cracked bad. I put a short peace black hose over it up to the first hole so the tree bark doesn't ware out the shrink tubing. I all so put a bungee cord between the two sections were the old strap was so as I'm climbing the tree it helps pull up on the bottom. I tie it on to the bottom and put a locking carabiner on the other end to hook them together. It work to tie then together so it isn't noisy when it on my back carrying it in. I put the carabiner in liquid ed rubber to keep it form making any noise on the climbing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you take the plastic guides out of the end, where the chain goes threw? Or did yours not have any?
Yes, I took the plastic guides out. I had forgotten that. The rubber hose I use has lasted for about 3-4 years and shows no signs of cracking. I use the stand exclusively and probably climb 40- 50 times a year.

I noticed a a archer from Michigan stated his hose was cracking and that may be the colder weather. We din't get that cold of weather.

And the new chains do seem to have better wrapping but they are $50. I ma very happy with the rubber tubing I have used.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yes, I took the plastic guides out. I had forgotten that. The rubber hose I use has lasted for about 3-4 years and shows no signs of cracking. I use the stand exclusively and probably climb 40- 50 times a year.

I noticed a a archer from Michigan stated his hose was cracking and that may be the colder weather. We din't get that cold of weather.

And the new chains do seem to have better wrapping but they are $50. I ma very happy with the rubber tubing I have used.
If you take the plastic guides out it well screw up the pin hole. I done it on mine when I lost one on the bottom. It's egg shape because of it. I don't know want you mean by hose, but the rubber hose I was taking about has been on mine for 6 year and it look as good as the day I put it on and I hunt some really cold weather in IA and now NE. It just keep the tree for damageing the shrink tubing thats around the tree. It also helps keep the chain from over bending and cranking the shrink tubing. The bungee cord is probably the best thing I done to it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I jut run the hose around to the first holes on the chins and it's only around the tree not down in the stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had to do that to both my API's and something to help the clear tubing to go on easier is to boil them for a a couple of minutes and then they slide on easier and when the coll they shrink back down.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
can't you get new API chains from bp for like $20?? I did this a few years ago and they had a better coating and they are NEW. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts