Archery Talk Forum banner

API Skyhook Tree Steps

2941 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Bigbuckslayer
I just saw these on the internet yesterday and I thought they were an awesome idea. They sound like exactly what I've been looking for. I could have 4 or 5 stand sites and use those steps on all of them, and they are really light and easy to set up. But then I found out that API doesn't make them anymore and they're going for over $150 on ebay. Has anyone ever tried these? Anyone know if there's a way to get some without spending $200?

Thanks,
Matt
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,159 Posts
They work great for setting up multiple stand sites. The concept is great as long as you don't leave the lags in the tree from year to year. I have at least 200 - 300 lags and 2 sets of 15 steps that I have not used for the last few years since I changed to something else.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Very nice concept indeed, somebody will pick this up and it will be on shelves again soon. I wonder why they stopped making them??

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
They work great for setting up multiple stand sites. The concept is great as long as you don't leave the lags in the tree from year to year. I have at least 200 - 300 lags and 2 sets of 15 steps that I have not used for the last few years since I changed to something else.
You sound like a man that might want to sell some excess steps!:wink:

I've used the skyhooks for many years. They are really nice in areas where you need to worry about leaving steps in place (theft) and being able to hunt several stand sites with one set of steps. I have started switching to fixed steps that I leave in place. They are just a little noisy to set up but if you go slow you can do it (almost) without making a sound.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
i have a set of about 13 steps and 40 or 50 lags. I really like them. I put a search on here several times in the last couple years to find the lags and couldn't come up with much. I did find one guy that had some, but you will need to break out your wallet the lags aren't cheap.

I use 3 or 4 of these for the bottom steps of my existing stands. My son and buddy carry 4 with them also. If some stranger wants up in my stands they will need to have brought at least 3 steps of their own or be able to climb like a squirrel. My stands are the cheap hang-ons from Walmart and are locked on big time. If someone stole them, they wouldn't get much for their effort. More than anything I just don't want people hunting out of them without me knowing.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GSlam95, you wouldn't be interested in selling any of those would you? I really like the idea because I can't really afford to buy different sticks for every stand site and honestly I'd rather have one set to do it all with instead. I have been thinking about getting the Lone Wolf sticks and then some UCR ropes, but I figured that the Skyhooks would be a lot more portable. I'm not too worried about a little bit of noise. If the deer are close enough to hear you putting up steps then they've probably seen you or heard you already and more than likely already know you're there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.