Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried apple juice as a cover / bait scent? If the deer are familiar with apples I would think that apple juice would work well sprayed on the ground, in the air or on your boots. Does anyone have experience with that?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Years ago, I used a powered Apple flavoring for a trail from a small group of apple trees. Yes, They will love it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would think it would work, especially if you used a good scent dispenser like one of those things they are talking about on the "Is this for real" thread.;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard of using that particular type of scent dispenser, but it was new and the hunter applied a store bought scent. I don’t think I’ll go digging through the trash can for a used plug!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Sounds like the deer would go nuts over apple juice!!!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Have to give that a try!

Never thought about it, but sounds like it is worth a shot. I will spray some around my stand and my trail in and see what happens. Well, as soon as season starts anyway!!

meat

·
Registered
484 Posts
It might work, but here in Alabama you would not want to spray it on your boots or stand. The yellowjackets would eat you up. They get real mean in the fall.:eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I dont know about apple juice but I carry a apple with me on my walk to the stand and eat half and throw the rest on the ground and mash it all over my boots. Twice I have had fawns licking the bottom tree step of my stand !!!:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I think apple cider would be a better choice. Apple juice is highly refined, diluted and has sugar added....apple cider is just pure juice pressed from apples. Be sure you aren't violating any baiting laws in your State before using it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Years ago before the scent blocker products were so popular and readily available, i always used real apples for cover. Just cut up rub all over you and anything you go into woods with, and throw remnance all aroung your stand in small pieces. I have had large bucks stop and eat a piece. I have even used this technique while hunting from the ground.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
might...

I never tried it, but if you made it out of apples from around your hunting area, I think it would be a good cover scent, and maybe an attractant. I would not risk using apple juice from a store cuz there are usualy addatives. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
I always carry an apple to the stand with me I eat as much of it as I can on the walk in and rub the rest on a tree and put the core on the ground. I have had does walk up and take the apple and run away with it in their mouth. Also it attracts squirrels so if you arent seeing anything and its small game season (atleast in PA it overlaps) I like to take shots at them.

·
Banned
910 Posts
ya...im not sure about the actual scent itself of apple with apple juice then you got ants and bugs wanting to eat you. I would think a few real apples smashed between your boot and the ground and slingin chucks of the mash around might provide some degree of cover scent and curiosity iif deer are in the area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts