Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an archery shop in Westchester County NY called Tri State Archery that practices questionable business tactics. On the web they are known as "Bowhunters Advantage". Advertised on their web site was a Cobra view master elite sight for $56.95. I ordered it thinking that was a great price. They sent me an email back stating the price was $67.90 plus shipping. They chose not to sell the sight at the advertised price. They must think we are all a bunch of suckers out here in the archery world. I'll copy and paste a copy of the invoice and the email from them so you can read it for yourself.

Message in regards to your order (#100000011070753) from Bowhunters Advantage:
See below for copy of the Order's invoice.
Ken:

Thanks for your order but I have to let you know the price for the Cobra View Master Elite Sight is $67.90, not 56.95 as was listed.

I could send you the Delux model for $56.95 if you like. It is the same sight except it has dovetail gang adjustable elevation and windage adjustments instead of micro adjustments.

Or if you like you can get the Elite for $67.90 plus shipping.

Please let me know what you decide.

Thanks.

Tom Scarano

Here is a copy of the your invoice, #100000011070753 :
Order ID # 100000011070753

Order Date: 10/01/2003

-Ordering Customer Information-
Name: Kenneth D Ramey
Email: [email protected]
Phone : 360-679-7961

-Bill To-
Name:
Address:
Address: Oak Harbor, Wa 98277

-Ship To-
Name:
Address:
Address:
Address: Oak Harbor, Wa 98277
--------------------------------------------------------
Card : Visa
Cr# : ****(OMITTED)****
Expires:
Cr Name:
ID# : 100000011070753

ORDER:

* Cobra View Master Elite Sight (K-18397) .......... $ 56.95 x 1 = $ 56.95

* (Items marked with a star are taxable items.)

Subtotal : $ 56.95
Tax (0.00000%) : $ 0.00
Shipping/Handling : Pending
subtotal :$ 56.95

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
sounds like false advertising to me!:mad:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Indeed, it is false advertising and they must honor the advertised price.

I would bring this up with the owner of the shop, altering the offered price is not legal business practice from what I understand.

Would help if someone who was actually a professional in the legal field could offer some advice though! :)

At the very least, I would discuss it with the owner and tell him how you feel. Afterall, you are a customer and your opinion is a reflection of his business.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your support. I just wanted to let other archers know about my experience with this particular shop. This way you can make your own opinion and choice as to whether or not to do business with them. I personally have chosen to take my business else where.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
It shows the $67.90 now. Did they do this on multiple items or was this 1 item a typo? Sometimes the web site designer puts in wrong info. I've seen some horrrible typos but knew it wouldn't go. I once bought a Badlands Fanny pack for $1 but got a similar email. I know it's a pain but maybe it was an honest mistake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good customer service dictates they should have honored the advertised price. Legally, it could be different, depends upon state and since it was internet advertisement, might be different due to that. In TX, advertised prices are typically considered an "invitation to offer" and not a contractual obligation. Therefore, there may not be, and likely isn't, any legal obligation to honor the price. I'm not an attorney, just going off of my business law and lots of years in retail management. When I was in retail, all of my mangers had standing orders to always honor something if they had it priced wrong. They may have a discussion with me later about why it was priced wrong, but the consumer always was cheerfully given the advertised price. That's the way it should be if you are going to build customers and stay in business.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This used to be called "bait and switch".

Thanks for the heads up!

Lane

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may very well have been an honest mistake however, a mistake in business can be a costly for someone. If this shop had just bit the bullet and sent me the item at their mistaken price they would have only lost a few dollars on that one sale. As it stands now I hope they are losing several dollars on missed sales because I let all of you know about this. It doesn't take but just a second to change a price on an internet cataloge. They would have only lost money on that item only once if business practices were good.

·
Registered
984 Posts
To me, it sounds like they had an error on their website. I know of no law requiring companies to honor advertising errors.

I don't believe this would be considered bait-and-switch. In bait-and-switch, they usually draw customers in with a low price item and then through sales tactics, pressure them to purchase a different, higher priced item. That is not what happened here. It appears to have simply been an error on their website. A smart company would probably honor the error and then change it quickly. However, maybe they don't have the ability to make changes real fast.

Also, you may want to be careful with accusations that can negatively affect their business. It could make you vulnerable to a lawsuit. There have been many people sued because of similar posts on an internet forum.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Stever

Innocent mistake or not they should have honored the advertised price then changed the price on their web page, how long would that take, a matter of Minuites?

I think the guy has a legit complaint .... the retailer made the mistake so the customer has to pay for their mistake?
Come on man:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts