Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I admit that I am not actually an archery enthusiast, but I had absolutely no luck getting my question answered elsewhere :/ So I thought I would turn to the professionals (that's you guys :D)

I am creating a roleplaying game that is set in a post-apocalyptic scenario. I need a wide variety of weapons, but not so much variety that it becomes too complex. Naturally, I feel the need to include Archery as a form of combat. I intend to include compound and recurve bows, as well as crossbows. At this point, I am really puzzled about ammo. I know very little about archery, so I am having to resort to a lot of google searching and reading endless forum posts about "which arrows are best".

What I am looking for is a concise explanation of what is AVERAGE for arrows and crossbow bolts. What are the most prominent designs (something like normal tip and broad heads?), and what are the key differences between them? Also, what price is moderately acceptable for each of these? Please keep in mind it does not help me to have a list of a dozen arrows that are all fairly similar and vastly different in price.

At most, I want 3 types of arrows and 3 types of bolts, with prices to match. Links would be appreciated, but it's fine if you don't have them.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
Go to Lancaster archery and just pick any three arrow brands and pick any broadhead. If for a video game it really should not matter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am creating a roleplaying game that is set in a post-apocalyptic scenario. I need a wide variety of weapons, but not so much variety that it becomes too complex. Naturally, I feel the need to include Archery as a form of combat. I intend to include compound and recurve bows, as well as crossbows. At this point, I am really puzzled about ammo. I know very little about archery, so I am having to resort to a lot of google searching and reading endless forum posts about "which arrows are best".
Role playing games always have the need to balance realism with fluidity of play. Keep in mind that you should take rate of fire, range, accuracy, effective accuracy, difficulty hitting moving targets, etc into consideration.

For example. An archer can be more accurate than a pistol user, but generally speaking the pistol has an overwhelming firepower advantage.

What I am looking for is a concise explanation of what is AVERAGE for arrows and crossbow bolts. What are the most prominent designs (something like normal tip and broad heads?), and what are the key differences between them?
For purposes of gameplay it can be assumed that field points (plain pointy tip) would do much less damage than a broadhead (bladed cutting head). The amount of damage is up to you to decide according to your health/life system. Which are better is largely a personal preference.

Also, what price is moderately acceptable for each of these? Please keep in mind it does not help me to have a list of a dozen arrows that are all fairly similar and vastly different in price.
If its post-apocalyptic, then conventional monetary prices will not make sense in that scenario.

At most, I want 3 types of arrows and 3 types of bolts, with prices to match. Links would be appreciated, but it's fine if you don't have them.
Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, and Wood will suffice for both arrows and crossbow bolts(quarrels) types. The cost would be dependant on your monetary system, material availability, and whatever restriction the system places into effect (legal, religious, logistical etc).

Good luck

·
Coram Deo
3,286 Posts
For example. An archer can be more accurate than a pistol user, but generally speaking the pistol has an overwhelming firepower advantage.
The main advantage I see of a bow over a pistol is stealth. It could be quieter. The other advantage is the ability to re-use ammo. I wouldn't expect to be buying every single one of my arrows every shot. So, in a game, I'd definitely incorporate that information.

In a true post-apop situation, I want a tough fixed-blade broadhead. Slick-Tricks, G5 Montec, something like that. I want carbon arrows for durability- Gold Tip XT Hunters are fine. I want adjustable mods on my bow and I mean rotating adj mods, not replaceable mod that I have to buy from some (likely) non-existent dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts