Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing up the book Archery Anatomy. I was wondering how others feel about it. It is very recurve oriented but I'm finding that a lot of the advice works for compound shooting as well. In particular the high draw, the rhomboid stance and bow hand position. The high draw really seems to help me settle into an aim better than a T or low draw.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm... I'm surprised. I thought this might start some form discussion.

Let me ask a different question. Do the compound shooters out there adopt any of the form and draw sequence techniques that the recurve shooters use?

Also, is there anyone out there doing real research into the best archery form or are we all waiting to see what the Koreans do?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
baldmountain, I've read parts of the book. Pretty dry read - but it does help one to understand the physical aspect of shooting. I read in Archery Focus last year that the only real difference between the compound & the recurve is the motion of the draw arm/shoulder at the end of the shot.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is more difference. With a recurve the bow hand should not be active in aligning the bow in the vertical direction. According to Archery Anatomy this is the responsibility of the string hand. With a compound and a release you have the exact opposite. The bow hand, (actually elbow alignment), aligns the bow vertically since the release has no influence on the bow alignment.

I think there will be many other differences too. But I also believe that there are many things that compound archers can borrow from recurve archers in order to improve their performance.

Oh, I do agree that it is a dry read. But I think it has some useful information. I was wondering whether other people were trying to use this information or whether I'm just being overly obsessive. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts