Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone.

Over the past few years I have been working on a doctoral program in Classics at the University of South Africa. The main focus of my work has been on the composite bow. After a great deal of effort I can now say that the dissertation (Origins and Comparative Advantage of the Composite Bow) has passed, and I thought that some of you here might be interested in having a look.

Below is a link to my work, including the front matter of my dissertation. If, after looking things through, anyone in interested in reading more I am happy to provide a link to the complete work on an individual basis upon request.

https://ks.academia.edu/KarlRandall

Best,

Karl

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Do you mean Compiund bow... like cams and cables and such...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
A composite bow is an early form of laminated layered technology. Back in the day, it was a wood core, with animal tendon (sinew) and animal horn as the reinforcement layers, all glued together with some sort of horse based glue.

Your current bows, recurve and compound, all rely on the same techniques as the composite bow, but with more modern technology and materials for the limbs.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
After reading your introduction that must have been an arduous task to prove all the claims made in history let alone recreate. Congratulations Doctor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congratulations on your successful thesis. It does look quite interesting, and I would like to read the entire thesis, if possible.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
I'm definitely interested in reading the whole thing, if nothing else for both historical reasons and because of professional curiosity as someone who works in the Archery industry full time.

How do I get a copy?

Regards,
-Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mean Compiund bow... like cams and cables and such...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Nope. You are correct in saying that compound bow uses cams and pulleys. Beastmaster is also correct in saying that a composite bow is made of a lamination of several different materials. The two terms are mixed up pretty regularly by a lot of people. In fact, the entire thesis comes out of a class in graduate school where the students couldn't make any discussion progress because everyone was using different terms, or using the same term to mean different things. Very confusing. I deal with that as part of chapter 2, and wound up publishing a separate article just on bow terminology.

Also, I have sent a PM to those of you who showed interest in the entire thing.

Best,

Karl

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm interested -- may I also have a look at the whole dissertation?

BTW congrats

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I hope that you got your degree. What do we get to call you now? Congratulations on all the work of putting together the information about composite bows.

We have some guys on here that will probably say that your thesis is all wrong so be careful about the people that you let read your thesis. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Jim, I successfully finished the degree, and am awaiting my "sheepskin" - commencement was on the 15th, but as I live halfway around the world I was unable to attend.

As for what to call me? Technically I am now a Doctor of Literature and Philosophy (DLitt et Phil), but "doc" is a bit much for me.

To be honest, one does not have to be particularly smart to do a doctorate (although in some fields like engineering, physics, math and the like a certain level of intelligence becomes mandatory) - it is much more a case of just wading through it alone every day for a period of years, making it an ideal test to become a medium to long term project leader.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
How about the effects of the 0ne Cam Bow eccentrics and how it took compound bow evolution down a dead end and how the masses got snookered for over a decade by a slick advertising campaign of them instead of smelling the coffee and sticking with Hybrids and twins?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello, LVArcher.

I did my MA (History, concentration ancient history) at American Military University.

The DLitt et Phil (not a PhD, but it is a doctorate - for some reason the University of South Africa has this separate designation for Classics, no idea why) is of course from the University of South Africa. It is one degree rather than two. Basically it's a PhD with a funny name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about the effects of the 0ne Cam Bow eccentrics and how it took compound bow evolution down a dead end and how the masses got snookered for over a decade by a slick advertising campaign of them instead of smelling the coffee and sticking with Hybrids and twins?
Ha! That does make quite the story.

Sadly, it's a couple of thousand years beyond my academic focus. My co-workers occasionally wonder why I'm not "up to date" on things. I keep trying to tell them that I am still catching up with everything happened in BC, so how can you expect me to know about the latest sports results and movie listings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts