Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,971 Posts
Life is expensive period! Most of us judge the guy next to us but given the opportunity to own the latest and greatest bow, car or whatever with no real consequences we would.

Cost of living is just high as a whole. Facts are this. If you can’t afford something don’t buy it. But just because you don’t buy it doesn’t mean someone else won’t. The drive behind buying has changed from personal purposes to just to show what I got - social media. All of us do it, some worse than others.

It is ridiculous that new F250 $80k but I see them on the regular miffed and tricked out weeks after they come out. So some is and will buy if you don’t. Or these manufacturers would go out of business. Fact is they continue to make these things and go bigger because the reaction (is buying) is so great they are trying to put dur the last thing.

We are also in a time where majority of people are living out of their means. But that’s why the craziness continues we are saying making these ridiculous priced items are ok. And the masses have basically said this and not by their words but with our actions.

I will say although the prices are higher the quality is incomparable. Modern creations do much more and are much improved is it worth it? That’s up to us individually decide.

I mean in high school nobody had a cell phone and now my entire family does $300 expense almost required now that wasn’t than.

I feel like I need it for my kids as terrible as this world has gotten. Just my .2

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Inflation. Relatively prices haven’t gone up much. Goods go up and incomes lag.... inflation. R&D on some of this gear is outrageous. We live in a society where the life of a product generation is about 18 months. Archery isn’t really any different than many other sporting goods. I’m always at a loss how they innovate and iterate golf clubs. The only way is expensive materials and more expensive manufacturing. I budget quite a bit for my archery / bowhunting addiction, but it’s my only hobby.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Chinese manufacturers love seeing these high prices. All it's going to do is blow up the influx of Chinese made products and copycats. Already seeing it on the traditional side. You have Chinese made risers and limbs selling complete ILF bows for 175-200.00 that perform better than a 850.000 Hoyt Satori or Black Widow.

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese compound bow adds love proclaiming that they're using US Gordon Glass limbs.

·
Registered
15,133 Posts
The price of flagship hunting bows has been pretty stable for awhile, right around the 1k mark, excluding the carbon options.
The price of some accessories is more shocking than the cost of bows. This also seemed to be the year for arrows to take
a couple of steps up on the price ladder. It won't take long for $299 a dozen to become the new normal price for arrows.
For sure.
I just got though taking some ancient ACC's off the rack to shoot this year.
I'll quit before paying the new normal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No one is forced to purchase 1300.00 bows,300.00 arrows, 400.00 sights ect ect. Plenty of quality cheaper options. I purchased a new xcentric 7 pro this year 500.00 I would shoot it against any 1000.00 bow I've owned. Point is value and quality can be had with research. Found a new HHA tetra on sale next day. I think more companies are making quality price point options than ever before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Things are priced where they sell. If they didn't the price would come down. Some people just don't believe they can hunt and kill stuff with low or mid priced gear. It is Jan 13 and people are already clamoring for new bows, to replace the 2018 they bought barely a year ago. Bowhunting is as cheap or expensive as you make it.

·
Registered
14,906 Posts
That in no way adds up, how in the world would anybody be in business if they are running a deficit just to produce a product that you can’t sell at that cost.
I don’t believe for one second that it cost machinist or these companies that much to make accessories or bows, every dealer I’ve ever known always say his biggest profit centers are service work and selling accessories
I never said it was. Companies have special processes in place in order to make stuff cheaper. OEM shops run different than job shops do. That particular machinist couldn’t believe that there was any profit in that sight at $400. There obviously is but it’s not what the general public think it is.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I remember when I bought my first "pro line" bow. I walked into the shop and spent almost every dime of my $2,000 bonus. I bought a Z7 + sight + stab + arrows + release + case.

I compare it to mtn biking. If a friend tells me that they really want to get into Mtn Biking, I dont tell them to go to Walmart and buy a bike and gear. If they are serious, it takes a serious investment. Obviously buying used, online new, etc. can help but you are going to make a significant investment.

For a company that produces both mainline and proline bows (PSE, Bowtech, etc.), I'd be curious to know how much more production cost goes into a proline bow.
This is where I feel a lot of people waste money, In the PSE line you have the Evolve and the Response. Both have the same limbs, cams,strings and aluminum risers. About the only difference is composite limb pockets vs machined and the cable guard. There is no way it cost PSE $300 more to build the Evolve, I would guess there is not a $5 difference so I guess they are making enough profit on one to carry the other at a lot less margin.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
I remember when I bought my first "pro line" bow. I walked into the shop and spent almost every dime of my $2,000 bonus. I bought a Z7 + sight + stab + arrows + release + case.

I compare it to mtn biking. If a friend tells me that they really want to get into Mtn Biking, I dont tell them to go to Walmart and buy a bike and gear. If they are serious, it takes a serious investment. Obviously buying used, online new, etc. can help but you are going to make a significant investment.

For a company that produces both mainline and proline bows (PSE, Bowtech, etc.), I'd be curious to know how much more production cost goes into a proline bow.
Yes, that is why I feel archery is cheap. The rims on my mountain bike alone cost more than carbon flagship bows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chinese manufacturers love seeing these high prices. All it's going to do is blow up the influx of Chinese made products and copycats. Already seeing it on the traditional side. You have Chinese made risers and limbs selling complete ILF bows for 175-200.00 that perform better than a 850.000 Hoyt Satori or Black Widow.

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese compound bow adds love proclaiming that they're using US Gordon Glass limbs.
Yes. Chinese are dominant in Carbon Fiber. I would imagine soon higher end Chinese arrows making a dent in the industry. CF Risers and bow kits could really shake things up. I love that PSE CF is made in Utah (I think).

·
Indifferent User
280 Posts
Poor Prison Tat Poole used that podcast as an obvious attack on Lancaster Archery, which took away his ball. That’s all there is to it. And “big Cess” attacking Lancaster with a podcast is kind of like a guy with a fly swatter taking on an M1 Abrams tank. Cess is losing all his sponsors, for good reason. His numbers are way off, his polemic is pathetic.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Same thing when i was heavy into bmx. Top end components on America made and welded frame adds up quick. Shoot think my rear rim setup was between 4 or 5 hundred bucks.
Listening to the podcast really made me think and alot of it made sense. There isn’t alot of stuff thats cheap anymore. Date night to the movies with the wife and a nice dinner could easy be a 100 bill. It is nice to see companies making price point bows. I would also like to know the difference in the lower end and higher end bows manufacturing.

·
Registered
864 Posts
a fool and his money are soon separated. they can charge what they want but I'm not buying I'm retiring. thank god archery equipment prices tank after a couple of years.
Was how i was able to upgrade this year. Got a deal on a left over 2017/18 bow.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts