Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone said I should post this thread here for better answers. So I'm trying it out. I've been told the string is on backwards, but I've already removed it, so no worries about me shooting it that way. Also, how on earth can you tell the string is on wrong? (Like I said, very new to all of this)

Alright, I am a complete newcomer to the world of archery, and there is not a single shop that carries recurve equipment within 100 miles of my town (well, 84 to be exact) I've tried emailing my local archery club and no one has responded. So I've turned to the internet! I recently received a Bear Archery Cub bow. It's 60" and one solid piece.

It came with a string already on it, but I have no idea of how to tell if it's in good shape or not.

So I guess what I want to know is a) is this a good string, b) how do I decide what weight the string needs to be (40#, 50#, 60#?) and c) is it okay to use modern low-stretch strings on an older bow like this? I read that you could ask your local bowyer about it, but there are none here. Any other information you feel I should should know is highly appreciated as I don't want to snap a string into my eye at any point in my life. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The string as shown in the top picture IS BACKWARDS. The part of the bow at the top is the FRONT of the bow and should be away from you. Your hand goes in the rounded groove on the BOTTOM of the bow as it is in that first picture. Your hand in the 4th picture where you are showing the writing on the bow is on the FRONT of the bow. If you had the bow turned around to the other side then you would be holding it correctly. We can't see the ARROW SHELF or rest in these pictures - need to see that to make sure it is a right or left handed bow....

GB45

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yes, the bow was strung backwards. The "belly" of the bow is the side that faces you as you shoot. Your bow hand will sit in that curve in the handle. When unstrung, the bow may look like the string wants to be on the other side due to the "recurve" of the limbs facing opposite from the belly side.

I can't tell if its a right or left hand bow because I can't see the arrow shelf in the small picture. If you are a right handed shooter, you would hold the bow in your left hand in that curve, and the arrow shelf will be on the left side of the bow, and you would draw the string with the right hand. Opposite for left hand bow.

The string looks a bit wacky and I'm not sure the twists are properly secure. The bow is a 60" AMO length, so a Dacron string designed for 60" AMO (about a 56" string actual length) would be probably in the ballpark. Save the fast-flight experimentation for later on an older bow like this. Dacron is fine and dandy and was what was used when that bow was created.

You can look at pictures of strung bows at Lancaster Archery and 3Rivers Archery, two great online traditional archery retailers. You can also call them and order a string for your bow (as well as anything else you need). Just give them the details written on the bow and they'll fix you up.

Good starter book to order while you're on the phone with them: "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. Super book for a beginner 84 miles from advice!

Keep cruising this forum and asking questions. Lots of great folk to help you out.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1588147
A good starter info thread. You've got the bow ... study up on the rest of the cool stuff.

And please ... don't put your eye out!

·
Registered
316 Posts
By the way good quote from GAME OF THRONES - one of the few TV shows I watch and as THIN MAN said - read up a bit and ask questions here - we want you to enjoy getting into the sport THE RIGHT WAY. It will serve you the rest of your life - it has for 60 years of mine - -

GB45

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent! Thanks for the links! I've been wondering around lost for about a month now, so I'm glad to be able to get in touch with some people that actually respond AND know what they're talking about! Also, Game of Thrones is amazing and that has got to be one of my all time favorite quotes from anything. I will definitely be getting that book too!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Shooting the stickbow is a great book, a wealth of information. Also if you get a chance check out some Youtube videos from Jimmy Blackmon and look up greyarcher1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what handed it is. Does this help?

I imagine it's right handed or my father-in-law wouldn't have given it to me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure what handed it is. Does this help?

I imagine it's right handed or my father-in-law wouldn't have given it to me.
It is either handed. Those little pegs sticking out on the sides are what you put the arrow. A rest or shelf. If you are right handed, you hold the bow in your left hand, put the arrow on the left side peg, and pull with your right hand. If you are a lefty, you reverse everything. The bow will work the same for either hand.

I don't think anyone said, but the bow is 30# pull. You probably want a Dacron string, that is what your string looks like and looks like it is a twist string, but doesn't look like mine. New ones are cheap on eBay. You can tell them what length your bow is, and what the poundage is and they will make one for you. You might be able to choose the colors.

You also need an arm guard and some finger protection. Also, a bow stringer. They are just strings really with a cup on one end and a loop on the other. Cheap and easy to make or buy on ebay.

And arrows. You need some arrows. Arrows are not cheap. I bought carbon arrows since they are very tough. Lots of people here like aluminum.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Looks like an ambidextrous shooter. The riser is symmetrical up each side with a peg sticking out on either side for the arrow to rest on. Looks like it's made for either right or left handed shooting.

Someone else here with knowledge of this bow will certainly pop up soon and discuss the particulars. I may be wrong, but that's what my eye sees from the picture. It's certainly cool for sure.

At a point you may wish to get someone very familiar with stickbows to make sure that the bow is intact and free of fatal flaws in the wood to prevent any problems occurring when you start shooting it. You may wish to have that person string the bow and perform the first shots on it. They will know if something feels amiss or if the bow is good to go.

There may be an old codger (or codgerette) in your town that can do this. Network the internet and see if something comes up. You may even call the 84 mile-away store and ask them if there are some stickbow shooters near you. Heck, someone on this forum may be in the vicinity!

Red-hot, clear close-up photos of all areas on the bow can help the forum experts here make an educated guess as to its general condition upon observation.

PS. Sorry, Neke ... didn't mean to step on your reply!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya'll are all so helpful! Thank you! I've got an arm guard and a finger glove, but I read on another thread that a finger tab was easier to use than the glove. True? I've ordered my new string, stringer, and rest and I'm going to see if I can find some nocks and a quiver in town tomorrow. Then arrows and I'll get a target from the in-laws! I've got a friend who's been shooting for a while and I'll get her to check it out! Yay! I can't wait!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The string in the eebay link is too many strands for a 30# bow, I'd get a twelve strand dacron/b50 for it. If you're talking about nock points for the string, try tying dental floss around the string instead of the brass ones they sell.

Tabs are probably more popular than gloves, but lots of people use both. You might ask your friend to try theirs and see what works better for you - most shooters have spare gloves and tabs that aren't being used.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
So I guess what I want to know is a) is this a good string,
It looks usable, but not ideal. If it's not dacron, I wouldn't use it on that bow.

b) how do I decide what weight the string needs to be (40#, 50#, 60#?)
Your bow is 30#, so a 10-12 strand dacron will work just fine.

and c) is it okay to use modern low-stretch strings on an older bow like this?
I wouldn't reccommend it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ya'll are all so helpful! Thank you! I've got an arm guard and a finger glove, but I read on another thread that a finger tab was easier to use than the glove. True? I've ordered my new string, stringer, and rest and I'm going to see if I can find some nocks and a quiver in town tomorrow. Then arrows and I'll get a target from the in-laws! I've got a friend who's been shooting for a while and I'll get her to check it out! Yay! I can't wait!
I have been messing with archery for only six months. I tried both tab and glove. Personal preferences I think. I like the glove so far, but a whole glove, not just the finger tips. If I put the string in my finger joint it hurts like hell, the short finger tip thing didn't seem to work for me.

For targets I just used a paper plate. What you need is a backstop. I used a 4 by 5 ft pile of straw and initially missed it. I put a black magic marker spot in the center to aim at.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Nice nails!

Do what the guys said. Especially the stringer. Trying to string the bow without a stringer is potentially bad for the bow, or you.

Also, safety, always keep it pointed in a safe direction. I almost took a kid's eye out once, turning around to talk. Lesson learned... I think... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts