Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far would you travel for a good pro shop.

Do you think an archery pro shop (with indoor lanes) that is not centered in town but located outside of town (10-20miles) off the beaten path located on ones property be successful. All things considered, good customer service, good pro advice, leagues, lessons, etc...

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes,

What is that saying "if you build it , they will come". Same thing.. if you do a good job and have good customer service people will drive to you. I know when we shoot 3D's if we like a shoot 2 hours away and have local shoots 1/2 hour away we go the extra time. We have people driving from all over to go to our local shop... they have great service and have a x-pro shooter working in the archery section that is still UP on the game. Staying current with what is going on with archery is a good thing. If you do everything you say.... They will come.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As far as pro shops go, I drive about 60 miles to Sioux Falls to see Charlie at Bledsoe's Archery Den. So I would say if you know what you are doing and treat people right a 20 minute drive would be no problem. As far as ranges with leagues that is definately not out of order. We have quite a few people who drive 30+ miles to shoot league at our club.

·
Occam's Razor
8,335 Posts
Would I drive past a Home Depot to get to Lowe's.........no

Wold I drive past a poor Home Depot to get to a good Lowe's .........yes.

I now have choices of three bow shops, but all are 45-60 minutes away, which one will I go to .......the one with the best service, price, selection, nicest people, most knowledgable, and best facilities..

Yes, I will drive to to the best if reasonable close. Just remember, you will not get the "drop-in" traffic......................ck

·
Registered
252 Posts
I myself sometimes travel 40 miles to an archery shop just because the people there have always been kind and easy to deal with. I've seen alot of shops come and go. One piece of advice that I would give you is to be sure you at least carry a couple of the more popular brands of bows(not going to name names and get something stirred up, you probably already know which ones are popular in your area). Most big bow companies won't allow you to sell their bows if your inside a certain mile radias of another dealer. If you need to move to a little farther location to satisfy this requirement your probably better off to do that. Well theres my 2 cents worth. Good luck and God bless. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you carry two or more major brands, don't push one and downgrade the others even though the one may be what you personally shoot. I have one shop within 12 miles of me and will drive 50 miles one way to another mainly for that reason. I have driven as much as 90 miles just to get arrows. "ATTITUDE'

·
74,535 Posts
My dealer

Is 1 1/2hrs away. Good Pro shop priceless. Reputation and good service go a long way.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If there are any, then I think 100 miles is not too bad. Going to just any shop means disappointment and sometimes disgust. One time on a forum someone actually defined what makes a GOOD Pro Shop and I really think that makes the search tough. That is unless you are blessed with a lot of archery nuts in the area and someone good can afford to move in and make a living. Since I have long ago given up on finding one, I will continue to work with my friends at tuning and repairing our equipment. We buy parts and accessories from "Sporting Goods" stores with ARCHERY DEPARTMENTS or EDERS or LANCASTER. Rarely do we let anyone else touch our equipment. I think I will buy a cheap bow from a pawn shop for bowfishing but also use it to see if a shop can break it down to put some twist in the string or something that I can make a need for. IF THEY DON'T LET OFF THE DRAW WEIGHT FIRST, THEY FAIL. If they paper tune the bow for you, i.e. you are not the shooter through the paper, THEY FAIL. I also think they should be suspect if they don't read archery forums because NOBODY knows it all. Whew, I got a chance to preach on that!!:D

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info.

Can a pro shop advertise and sell products (accessories & bows) on there own website as well as in the shop or are there dealer issues that don't allow that.

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a couple of shops within 30 minutes, but I drive 2 1/2 hours each way to a shop that I trust and has treated me very well. Good shops and dealers are worth the trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am pretty certain that Matthews,Bowtech and Hoyt to name a few will not allow dealers to sell their bows or at least the top of the line ones thru catalogs or on-line. Some are doing it thru E-bay but I don't think the companies approve of that. Good luck and God bless.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts