Archery Talk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You do alot of assuming and wishing for law.
You pay your taxes don't you :)

Try to take food from a wolf you get bit. I bet you cut the government a check freely every year......

Ps, I don't think I ever wished for law

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
You pay your taxes don't you :)

Try to take food from a wolf you get bit. I bet you cut the government a check freely every year......

Ps, I don't think I ever wished for law
Play your cards right and you get more than you pay in. Don’t forget there’s more animals on the food chain than a wolf and a sheep and that i never mentioned being a wolf. 😏

·
Archery Addict
9,399 Posts
There are many excellent bowhunters who could be considered great animal killers, that aren't necessarily excellent shooters. They can visualize the vitals of an animal and instinctively put a projectile into the boiler room for a quick, ethical kill. But, on a target, they may struggle to keep a 6 inch group at 20 yards. Many great target shooters struggle to put an arrow into the vitals of a live animal and wound them instead of getting a quick ethical kill. I have to take a proficiency test every year to hunt in the Urban Hunts here in Arkansas. I've seen some excellent bowhunters struggle to pass, and sometimes fail the test: 3/3 arrows into the vitals of a bag target at 20-25 yards. You get two chances. You can shoot with a compound, crossbow, or trad bow and can qualify with each if you want. However, if you fail on your first weapon of choice, you are out...no other chances. Simple enough right? I'm totally fine with the proficiency test for Limited Access Urban Hunts, but for the general bowhunting season, I'm totally against it. Being a decent shot, or passing a proficiency test, doesn't always relate to being a proficient hunter. We don't need any more over-reach into our hunting and fishing rights and privileges than we already have. There will always be poachers and slob hunters (whatever a slob hunter is?) regardless of their ability to shoot a bow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are those of y'all against having a proficiency test really worried about government intervention, or are y'all just afraid you wouldn't pass? It would seem if good hunting ethics were the goal people should be in favor of a proficiency test so we could keep slob hunters out of the woods

Lol. How much money did you make last year shooting arrows? Just curious since you're the world's greatest archer and hunter.
How about for the test we put an apple on your head or in your mouth and have one of the "slob hunters" as YOU refer to them test. Than yes I am all for it. Lost your argument when you started referring to people negatively

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Lol. How much money did you make last year shooting arrows? Just curious since you're the world's greatest archer and hunter.
How about for the test we put an apple on your head or in your mouth and have one of the "slob hunters" as YOU refer to them test. Than yes I am all for it. Lost your argument when you started referring to people negatively
I don't understand why I would want to have one of those slob hunters test on me, that seems silly. I was wondering if other people thought they should even be in the woods running around wounding deer everywhere. I mean I'm not a pro Archer but I've won some s***, and I've never lost a deer or gut shot a deer that I've shot at with a compound. This year I only shot five though I was hoping to shoot a few more but didn't get a chance.

Oh, if there was some way for me to shoot the Apple off of my own head I would be fine with that. But I've seen enough other people to shoot that I damn sure don't want them shooting an apple off my head🤣🤣

·
Muzzy61
1,709 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Oh, if there was some way for me to shoot the Apple off of my own head I would be fine with that. But I've seen enough other people to shoot that I damn sure don't want them shooting an apple off my head🤣🤣
I would be surprised if Dude Perfect hasn’t done this trick shot yet. If they haven’t, you may need to get on it. 🤣

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've seen a couple comments about a proficiency test for certain hunts - urban, military base, etc.
I can see the reason for these. and honestly if it meant i could have access to areas or animals that the general public wouldn't then i would totally play ball.

Like a golf course hunt for example.
I would 100% be ok to prove my skills in front of a board so i can access their golf club and remove some does.

But to be forced to do this every year in order to hunt private property, or the state land in my area, no thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What are y'all's thoughts on mandatory archery proficiency test before allowing someone to have a archery stamp? Nothing too complicated maybe something along the lines of five arrows in a row in a 6-in circle at 30 yards. Maybe give everybody three chances a year and if they can't do that they don't get archery stamp.
I get it, but this mentality kept me away from archery a long time. Makes you sound like some elitist that thinks none else should even think about picking up a bow. Would you require the same for rifles? How about youth?
don’t you think F&G take all of the available data when setting limits?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If it was done in my area, I would donate my time to conduct the tests… ain’t none of them passing!
Well that's 1 volunteer. Do you have your own range you're willing to use to host a few thousand archers over a month or 2 or will you need someone else to donate the use of their range?

Like I pointed out in my post whether you agree or disagree with the idea the logistics alone prevent it from being a viable option.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That’s a hell no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
Might as well have a proficiency test for firearms too. 100 yards freehand shooting. I hear all the time how a guy shot a buck freehand at 250 yards so a hundy should be a chipshot. I'd love to see the average group from all rifle hunters at 100 yards from even a bench rest.
Off hand would be ugly for most… I shoot offhand every shooting session at least a few shots, it’s fairly humbling.

I did make a pretty good offhand shot this year, but I didn’t realize the shot was as far as it was until after I shot… rifles are pretty forgiving in that sense, but I figured it was just that lion’s day to die when the dust cleared… have had a few good ones on coyotes too over the years

·
Registered
PSE EVL34, Hoyt Axius Alpha
1,109 Posts
Being able to get it in the 6" circle means d1ck when it comes to an actual hunting situation

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd be all for it. Everybody saying where's the money gonna come from and personnel to run it?... It's already in place.. just add it to in-person bowhunters course you have to take to get your license initially. I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to put a couple arrows in the vitals at 15 yards.
I get that some people that are great target shooters can't perform well on live targets, but if you can't hit the vitals on foam at let's say 15 yards, on flat, level ground, no distractions.... How the hell are you gonna do it in the woods where a million variables are stacked against you?

·
Registered
14,119 Posts
Well that's 1 volunteer. Do you have your own range you're willing to use to host a few thousand archers over a month or 2 or will you need someone else to donate the use of their range?

Like I pointed out in my post whether you agree or disagree with the idea the logistics alone prevent it from being a viable option.
yeah, if it means the woods will be empty during archery season, we can do it at my house.... i will probably start by weeding most of them out before shooting, i will fight logistics with efficiency ;)

61 - 80 of 202 Posts